Staying at Wigan: Roberto Martinez (Wigan Athletic)

VillanousOne

T

2.Whelan might not give permission for us to speak to him

Not sure how many times this has to be posted but Martinez is out of contract very shortly, we do not need Whelan's permission to talk to Martinez.

We talk to him, announce he's joining us on 1st July then Whelan can either release him from the last month or risk employing someone for a month to gain, absolutely nothing!

Martinez signed a contract extension with Wigan.

T

2.Whelan might not give permission for us to speak to him

Not sure how many times this has to be posted but Martinez is out of contract very shortly, we do not need Whelan's permission to talk to Martinez.

We talk to him, announce he's joining us on 1st July then Whelan can either release him from the last month or risk employing someone for a month to gain, absolutely nothing!

Martinez signed a contract extension with Wigan.

If he actually did that, its such a stupid thing to do, no one should employ him, he's clearly **** thick

Yeah thats my take on it too..Whelan was on SSN last night saying it would cost 2-3m to get him as he signed an extension i think last season or just before it... Also criticised Liverpool in a sense by saying he didn't think as Americans they quite understand football over here & they may not be willing to give RM complete control of footballing matters from youth level to 1st team & RM would insist on having that which could just be a potential sticking point...No mention of us though at all just that if he didn't take to Pool job he would love him to stay at Wigan.

I heard Whelan yesterday, can't remember if it was on Sky or Radio 5, but he was saying he thought Martinez was talking to liverpool but Whelan felt Martinez would want assurances from plop. Particularly, martinez would want control of all playing aspects, from 16 year olds upwards.

This gives me a bit of a problem because I think our reserve set up and the kids coming through dont really need buggering about with.

I can see we want the reserves playing the same style as the first team, so they can slot in and this may have been a problem last season, trying to get the likes of Bannan and Gardner, who struggled IMO, to play Eck's 'style'.

But our kids seem overall a promising bunch.

Having said that, not that many of the kids make it at Villa.

At the moment, this is making me lean away slightly from Martinez

I heard that too dogbonus. It was Sky (I don't listen to R5L). I don't think Whelan is right. Firstly, there's a difference between demanding total control at a club like Wigan and a club like Liverpool. I don't doubt that Martinez would want total control at Liverpool but I do doubt that he'd fully expect to get it and I doubt it would be a deal breaker if he didn't. If he's offered the Liverpool job in any kind of decent capacity then he'll take it. Then expect Bruce back at Wigan.

I heard that too dogbonus. It was Sky (I don't listen to R5L). I don't think Whelan is right. Firstly, there's a difference between demanding total control at a club like Wigan and a club like Liverpool. I don't doubt that Martinez would want total control at Liverpool but I do doubt that he'd fully expect to get it and I doubt it would be a deal breaker if he didn't. If he's offered the Liverpool job in any kind of decent capacity then he'll take it. Then expect Bruce back at Wigan.

Didnt I see that Bruce has gone to Hull to replace Barmby?

I heard Whelan yesterday, can't remember if it was on Sky or Radio 5, but he was saying he thought Martinez was talking to liverpool but Whelan felt Martinez would want assurances from plop. Particularly, martinez would want control of all playing aspects, from 16 year olds upwards.

This gives me a bit of a problem because I think our reserve set up and the kids coming through dont really need buggering about with.

I can see we want the reserves playing the same style as the first team, so they can slot in and this may have been a problem last season, trying to get the likes of Bannan and Gardner, who struggled IMO, to play Eck's 'style'.

But our kids seem overall a promising bunch.

Having said that, not that many of the kids make it at Villa.

At the moment, this is making me lean away slightly from Martinez

Some good points especially the youth team coaches do not need tampering about with... but martinez is known for his youngsters and would give them chances :D

The point Whelan was making as well is that Liverpool are looking to replace Commoli so they will have a DOF over seeng things which might not be to Martinez liking.

If Martinez is offered the L'pool job he will take imo. The chance of a top job would be too good to turn down, and what's the worst that can happen. He could fail and do a "Hodgson" and get sacked because of fan and senior player power, collect hefty compensation and still get on with the rest of his career. The media probably wouldn't blame RM, they would blame L'pool.

Villa is a tougher job for RM imo. One year at AVFC has destroyed whatever remaining reputation AM arrived with, and Houllier's reputation was sinking fast until ill heath intervened. In order to leave Villa for a club the size of L'pool in the future RM would have to bring success to Villa, and that is a very big ask at the moment.

If Martinez is offered the L'pool job he will take imo. The chance of a top job would be too good to turn down, and what's the worst that can happen. He could fail and do a "Hodgson" and get sacked because of fan and senior player power, collect hefty compensation and still get on with the rest of his career. The media probably wouldn't blame RM, they would blame L'pool.

Villa is a tougher job for RM imo. One year at AVFC has destroyed whatever remaining reputation AM arrived with, and Houllier's reputation was sinking fast until ill heath intervened. In order to leave Villa for a club the size of L'pool in the future RM would have to bring success to Villa, and that is a very big ask at the moment.

Agreed on all points.