Staying at Wigan: Roberto Martinez (Wigan Athletic)

VillanousOne

Sorry but Bruce has to take credit for making Wigan stronger

He signed the players and pushed them up the table

Martinezs record in the transfer market is questionable

& don't come out with the he's had no funds excuses

Jees the state of some of you in here. Martinez would be a great appointment - him or OGS would be fantastic. We're going to get some sdecent football hopefully for teh first time since Big Ron - this appointment will help us go back to start playing football. I'm very impressed with OGs and would love to have him here - but if randy decided that he wanted martinez i would not be disapointed how could any reasonable person be? Yes he's had slow starts to the season and leaves it late but look at what he has to work with, garbage -their best player is Moses FFS. Last season NZogbia was their best player he's come here to a proper club and looked way off the boil and out his depth - is that due to Mcleish or Not? There's something in it for sure.

Don't underestimate the way in which martinez has somehow made Caldwell look a decent (and integral) player, he went agaisnt the grain and switched to 343 which as tactical decisions go - is probably the decision of the season - it transformed the club.

they looked down at xmas who did he get it Bousejour and Maloney spending what? £5m for the two and got them looking great - maloney looks a greta little player now - he never looked a proper premier league player under MONs ouitdated tactucs.

IF we get Martinez - embrace it and embrace him! It's a million miles a better signing then last season. He has a massive future ahead of him and if we choose him and he wants us over liverpool then you have to hand it to him he deserves to get his chnace.

he'd be a great fit for us.

well said..its ridiculous how peoples judgement have been clouded by OGS...

and some people saying they wanted him before OGS but now it seems like a disappointment...ridiculous....

everyone championing OGS has said its because he likes his team to play football....they watched the youtube video and went mental because Ole said the words pass and move....

well guess what...Martinez likes to play that way too and we have seen first hand how he can get a shit team to pass it around and keep possession....we've witnessed him mastermind wins against the big teams....we know he has the experience, right philosophy and is still young....plus he could well bring Moses and Diame with him....

but i guess he cant beat a youtube video of players talking up the manager....

maybe he should make one

Martinez would be my second choice after Ole. It's probably a bit unfair that I'd be less excited about him now than I would have been a week ago, but that's the way it goes I guess. Ole has the new boy sheen to him still, and isn't tainted by relgation battles like Martinez is.

Oh, and I will come out with the excuse that he's had no funds, and less than Bruce had by a good distance, because...it's true.

Why do you think Liverpool are interviewing him?

How on earth can people clamour for a man who turned us down once already

Is there any pride left at the club at all ?

the same way Stephen Ireland can not give a shit for a year and a half and then after 10 good games be voted player of the season...

football changes

I stopped responding to such inflammatory posts a long time ago.

I think CI waits to see what the current feeling is amongst the Villa faithful...........................then opposes it to wind people up.

Not wanting someone just because they turned you down a year ago would be a bit of a childish reaction for a football club. No point cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Plus it shows his loyalty. He'd agreed with Whelan he'd stay another year, and so he did.

I think CI waits to see what the current feeling is amongst the Villa faithful...........................then opposes it to wind people up.

I'm stating nothing but facts

Why would you want a man here who has already snubbed us once

Deal with the question rather than try and cause an argument

Because he didnt snub us, he stuck to his existing arrangement which means he is a man of his word. Something that is supported by the press and everybody who has any contact with him.

He was also the first person to implement a spanish type training regime in the UK. Culturally, he changed the complete philosophy of both Swansea and Wigan. With meagre talent, he managed to get both playing possession football.

Bruce was given money to spend by Whelan, and Bruce being Bruce, he spent it. Martinez has been offered a different budget and has still kept Wigan in the premier league and played an enterprising style of football at the same time.

Satisfied?

The problem with Martinez might be that he has spend three seasons fighting against relegation and might not bring the winning-mentality back to the Villa. I think I've said it before but I don't think Martinez could deal with the players like Dunne, Collins and Warnock - doesn't seem to have personality for that, but Lambert and OGS comes "stronger" in the interviews I've seen.

When i talk to fans of other clubs i want to at least be able to say that my team plays attractive, entertaining football and the neutral fan will always look forward to a game with us playing.

Haven't been able to say that for a very long while indeed so whoever the new manager is i hope he will get us playing in the right way again.

Do that, then i will deem the new manager to have been a success!

Martinez was my first choice for Villa manager, although I would now be surprised if we get him.

There is something visceral and organic about the OGS bandwagon which may have a unifying and healing effect at Villa if he were appointed. I think that the counterpoint to OGS is Lambert, a safe pair of hands with an impressive record.

I'm sure Randy would like to talk to both RM and PL if he can, and then he will go with his own gut feeling.

According to 'The Times' this morning, Martinez is preparing to fly from his Barbados holiday to meet with FSG in Boston.

I feel sure that Mr Lerner has met with Martinez at some point over the past week, and whilst I think that our owner probably admires the loyalty Martinez showed 12 months ago, and therefore doesn't hold that against him, I don't see him hanging the club on to see how RM gets on with Liverpool.

Mr Lerner has two other highly credible candidates, both of whom would be popular with the support, and one of whom we know would walk across the North Sea to take the job.

I think it is one of two, and Martinez is now out of the frame.