Staying at Wigan: Roberto Martinez (Wigan Athletic)

VillanousOne

I really hope Liverpool get Martinez

The meltdown amongst their fanbase would be great viewing

The Plop job is a poisoned chalice IMO. The manager's walking in to a job with expectations from fans that exceed those of the Villa by about 50 times, and a playing squad that's either too old, or too shit. Recipe for disaster I reckon. If Martinez takes it I reckon he'll be Hodgson Mk II.

The Villa job is the same, some fans expect far too much too quickly these days.. maybe the McLeish saga has given them a sense of reality though, let's hope so anyway.
It definitely has. Next season is a 'free pass' for any manager. Once we see progress on the pitch, the avoidance of a serious relegation battle and an approach to the game that isn't an offence to the eye, the next manager will be very welcome and be given time and patience. Liverpool will always have the weight of history and expectation on their shoulders far more than we do here.

Knew we had a thread. Rumours that he's in Miami in talks with us rather than Liverpool...

Would definitely take him, wanted him for a long time. Young, stylish football and could build a legacy here as he did with Swansea. Given good financial backing he could do very well here imo.

According to 'The Times' this morning, Martinez is preparing to fly from his Barbados holiday to meet with FSG in Boston.

I feel sure that Mr Lerner has met with Martinez at some point over the past week, and whilst I think that our owner probably admires the loyalty Martinez showed 12 months ago, and therefore doesn't hold that against him, I don't see him hanging the club on to see how RM gets on with Liverpool.

Mr Lerner has two other highly credible candidates, both of whom would be popular with the support, and one of whom we know would walk across the North Sea to take the job.

I think it is one of two, and Martinez is now out of the frame.

Who's the one who'd "walk over the north sea"?

An appointment I could get behind - I used to look at him and think hw was the permanent relegation battler. But Id give him the benefit of the doubt - I hope he could be here for the long haul - which why I suspect Lerner wants him.......

Might not be the instant hit - but in the long run - could get us quite high up the league - with not much cash.

I think this appointment is a long way off though

According to 'The Times' this morning, Martinez is preparing to fly from his Barbados holiday to meet with FSG in Boston.

I feel sure that Mr Lerner has met with Martinez at some point over the past week, and whilst I think that our owner probably admires the loyalty Martinez showed 12 months ago, and therefore doesn't hold that against him, I don't see him hanging the club on to see how RM gets on with Liverpool.

Mr Lerner has two other highly credible candidates, both of whom would be popular with the support, and one of whom we know would walk across the North Sea to take the job.

I think it is one of two, and Martinez is now out of the frame.

Who's the one who'd "walk over the north sea"?

That was posted before OGS bailed

He would need to overhaul the team to be any form of success

Quite a few people saying this CI

Im beginning to accept that whoever gets it, our league position last season is probably about where we will finish next season without serious investment.

Mcleish was appaulling, but so is the squad.

Time to get realistic.

People forget what an fabulous legacy Martinez left at Swansea for Brendan Rogers to build on.

If he turns down Plop to join us, then he'd be a hero as far as I'm concerned.

Besides the pie munchers from Wigan...aren't fond of Scousers!

Im not too sure about his defensive coaching, wigan have conceded some shocking goals. But the passing style of play his team produces is very good, his teams are also good going forward.

He is also capable of getting the best out of average players and getting results against the bigger teams.

As i say he is far from perfect, but i would be very happy with martinez.