Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

7 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I'm not sure that finishing skills discriminate between a friendly or competitive game tbh - Trent is right on this point.

Think he was referring to that he started over Hogan.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

He had a great chance in the first half, nobody around me even moved in their seat so low were peoples expectations that he would score.

He is trying, he is back in shape but he just isn't a very good player. That he is currently starting ahead of Hogan infuriates and concerns me in equal measures.

Even at his peak a one on one was less than fifty fifty in his favour. At his best, in full flight, with no time to think, he did us some good service. Although his best asset was putting the shits up the opposition enough to stretch a gap between the defence and the midfield of the opposition as they were scared to leave to much space in behind.

Right now, if he's on the field it should be leading the line with a proper finisher just behind and a number 10 to play in the gaps he'll make. Play a lot of balls for him to run on to, to show the defenders they still can't catch him in a straight race. I'm not even sure it's that worth it though. Might be useful off the bench if we are getting squeezed back too much in our own half.

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Might be useful off the bench if we are getting squeezed back too much in our own half.

That's just about the only minimal benefit I can muster - from bothering to have him in the matchday squad - and that's stretching it 

Looked to me yesterday that any confidence he had is totally shot. Layed the ball off yesterday when it was easier to take the player on and shoot.

If Bruce is going to play him more this season then he needs to do something to help with the player's confidence telling him to be more direct.

I thought Gabby was quite good.. not sure why hes getting criticism (on that performance).. Its just his finishing that is poor.. but he held the ball well and made some good runs. Worked hard off the ball. I hope he can take some of his chances more often but i wont hold my breathe. I think Gabby and Hogan upfront might be worth a go. 

• Like 1

He's never really been good in the final third though, has he? The chance he had in the first minute or so when he fluffed a one-on-one is something that could have happened at literally any point in his career. He's not a good decision maker or finisher and he can't really anticipate things - he needs to act instinctively or get lucky. 

He's definitely putting in more effort, sure, but if the quality isn't there then it's not worth starting him IMO. Hogan's got far more talent. 

2 hours ago, Dave J said:

I'm not sure that finishing skills discriminate between a friendly or competitive game tbh - Trent is right on this point.

Dave, none of my comments are talking abou Gabby's ability as a footballer of his finishing skills. I know he is poor. So you've taken what I have said in my conversation with Trent wrong.

2 minutes ago, Killeen30 said:

Dave, none of my comments are talking abou Gabby's ability as a footballer of his finishing skills. I know he is poor. So you've taken what I have said in my conversation with Trent wrong.

Fair enough sorry - I thought you were responding to comments re: a lack of expectation in front of goal.

apologies again My bad 

• Like 1

Just now, Dave J said:

Fair enough sorry - I thought you were responding to comments re: a lack of expectation in front of goal.

apologies again My bad 

No Villa supporter should have ANY expectations in from of goal with him. 

BUT to give him some credit, when he has no time to think about what he is going to do then he can produce.  As we say in Belfast, in times like these, he doesn't have 'time to shit the bed'.

1 hour ago, striker said:

Looked to me yesterday that any confidence he had is totally shot. Layed the ball off yesterday when it was easier to take the player on and shoot.

If Bruce is going to play him more this season then he needs to do something to help with the player's confidence telling him to be more direct.

His shooting isn't exactly great though and I'd rarely back him even on a one on one with the keeper - his great asset was pace - as a finisher we cannot rely on him to score enough goals - After seeing hogan play so well last week I was surprised to see gabby start yesterday - I hope he's on the bench v Hull.

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

He's never really been good in the final third though, has he?

Not a line you would normally hear when talking about a striker, but one that is difficult to disagree with. 

3 hours ago, striker said:

I think Bruce needs to worry more about the confidence of Hogan. After a difficult start last season i think he has looked quite sharp in pre season, and the confidence that will have given him needs harnessing. Sitting on the bench behind Gabby will knock that confidence back out of him. 

Hogan is a goalscorer, Gabby is not. If i was a football manager with those guys in my squad, i know where I'd be concentrating my energy. 

2 hours ago, av1 said:

Not a line you would normally hear when talking about a striker, but one that is difficult to disagree with. 

I think Bruce needs to worry more about the confidence of Hogan. After a difficult start last season i think he has looked quite sharp in pre season, and the confidence that will have given him needs harnessing. Sitting on the bench behind Gabby will knock that confidence back out of him. 

Hogan is a goalscorer, Gabby is not. If i was a football manager with those guys in my squad, i know where I'd be concentrating my energy. 

Also he invested a lot of the clubs money in Hogan and if he doesn't start even with Kodjia unfit what does that say. 

Edited by PaulC

20 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Also he invested a lot of the clubs money in Hogan and if he doesn't start even with Kodjia unfit what does that say. 

It would say Bruce would possibly prefer Agbonlahor to me if that happened.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Killeen30 said:

It would say Bruce would possibly prefer Agbonlahor to me if that happened.

It would also confirm that Bruce has no idea what a good striker should offer, ie goals. 

But then we are talking about a bloke that signed Emile Heskey, Connor Wickham and Cameron Jerome so we shouldn't be surprised :P

Pros:  Looks better than at any time in the past two years; looks up for it; can still stretch the game

Cons:  is a rubbish finisher; takes game time away from Hogan; too old; the past two years have tainted him

If he starts on Saturday, he needs to score and have a blinder, if he doesn't I really wouldn't start him ever again.

Edited by thunderball

Â