Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Gabby scored a very similar goal v Blackburn start of McLeish season.

I agree "very poor" is pretty harsh. Vassell started for England at 2002 world cup in a pretty decent England team.

Both had a couple of good seasons and then for various reasons neither kicked on and just coasted the rest of the team here.

42 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Gabby scored a very similar goal v Blackburn start of McLeish season.

I agree "very poor" is pretty harsh. Vassell started for England at 2002 world cup in a pretty decent England team.

Both had a couple of good seasons and then for various reasons neither kicked on and just coasted the rest of the team here.

That goal was nothing like Joachim's goal but was still an excellent goal mind.

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

In their prime?

You'd describe both Gabby and Vassell in their prime as very poor?

If so then you really need to stop your hatred of Gabby clouding your judgement. You're harsh on him these days even though, for the most part, you are right that he is useless.

But nobody can say a prime Gabby Agbonlahor was "very poor". That's just rewriting history.

Happy to repeat both very poor footballers imo Stevo I was bought up on the likes of Little, Deehan, Gray, Shaw, Yorkie - so please don't try to tell me that I can or can't spot a proper striker when I see one- I have no clue how old you are and have little interest either tbh but around the time Vassell broke into the first team - we had another young striker called Darren Byfield who was technically miles ahead of Vassell and Gabby ( different times I know ) for whatever reason his career just never took off- I can assure you though I would much rather watch him than either of those two on a regular basis 

I think Vassell was probably a more clever player in terms of positions than Gabby and didnt rely on his pace but his composure in front of goal was woeful

Gabby probably also had a better footballing brain in possession

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

Happy to repeat both very poor footballers imo Stevo I was bought up on the likes of Little, Deehan, Gray, Shaw, Yorkie - so please don't try to tell me that I can or can't spot a proper striker when I see one- I have no clue how old you are and have little interest either tbh but around the time Vassell broke into the first team - we had another young striker called Darren Byfield who was technically miles ahead of Vassell and Gabby ( different times I know ) for whatever reason his career just never took off- I can assure you though I would much rather watch him than either of those two on a regular basis 

Ahh yes Byfield, he was a friend of Hendrie's played in the same reserve team too. Had a. Purple if appearances and drop a division or two but still managed a career. Dated Jamila (probably spelt wrong) the brum pop star.

Edited by Killeen30

8 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Darius Vassell was comfortably the worst finisher I have ever seen at VP, just edging Carthorse Cole and Savo.

No way, Cole was by far the worst... and maybe Heskey!

He'll need to take part in 21 games this season to get into the top ten all-time appearance list for Villa players - he's currently 15th.

He's 19th in the list of all-time goalscorers - five would get him up to 15th.

If nothing else, he's certainly stuck around.

11 hours ago, Dave J said:

What an incredibly patronising response.

I forgot you couldn't have an opinion on players unless you were above a certain age :rolleyes:

I remember Byfield very well, I'm really not sure what he has to do with this conversation.

I'm not for one second saying gabby or Vassell were as good as the likes of Little or yorke. Merely that AT THEIR PEAK they weren't "very poor". That's rewriting history.

There is a middle ground. I'm not saying either player was amazing, or even "very good". I'm just saying calling them "very poor" is incredibly harsh, and I think your hatred of Gabby is clouding your judgement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Gabby could have been anything he wanted to be.

Makes you look back and wonder why houllier tried to sell Gabby all those years ago because the guy has not really done much since then.

Not really. At his peak he scored what? 12-13 league goals? For around 3 seasons he was a really effective player for us. MON's hyper direct and counter attacking football benefited Gabby massively. And therein lies his limitations, can only be effective in one capacity. He has always lacked the technical ability and intelligence on the ball to be a top player. That's not a slight on him, football is all about levels. 

That gaol he scored in the tournament was vintage gabby. He thrives on situations like that. But does not add much as a first teamer in my view. Like I said his contract is up in the summer so he will no doubt do his normal hit a bit of good form early to try earn a extension but I dont think he should be given one. The summer we need to part ties 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

That gaol he scored in the tournament was vintage gabby. He thrives on situations like that. But does not add much as a first teamer in my view. Like I said his contract is up in the summer so he will no doubt do his normal hit a bit of good form early to try earn a extension but I dont think he should be given one. The summer we need to part ties 

Dunno about vintage Gabby. Maybe i'm being harsh I personally never thought for one second he was going to score that goal based on the fact that he had time and options. Vintage Gabby for me is swift counterattacking where he has to react on instinct alone.

• Like 1

I still have a dream that Gabby will play a huge part of our promotion and do right on last few years' wrongs. Problem is I said the exact same thing last summer.

But IF he can, it seals his legacy as club legend without a doubt.

• Like 2

I dont know how I would feel if gabby scored 20+ goals and got us up. Is all forgotten? Probably not but he certainly would have repaired some of the damage he has inflicted with the fans.

But in all honesty I expect this to be his last season at the club. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

I still have a dream that Gabby will play a huge part of our promotion and do right on last few years' wrongs. Problem is I said the exact same thing last summer.

But IF he can, it seals his legacy as club legend without a doubt.

Hold on. 

If Gabby pulls his finger out and gives us one good season out of what, seven or eight, that makes him a legend. A legend?

God is a legend. Dennis Mortimer is a legend. Brian Little, Gordon Cowans are legends. Olof Mellberg for his affinity with the fans is a legend. There are many more.

Gabby is so far from being a villa legend I'd say I'm closer to that status. I've not disrepected the club, the fans and what Aston Villa stands for. The derby goals are brilliant, but a far far cry from legend status.

One good season and he doesn't leave under a cloud. "Villa legend" is a pipe dream. (Pun totally intended!)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Hold on. 

If Gabby pulls his finger out and gives us one good season out of what, seven or eight, that makes him a legend. A legend?

God is a legend. Dennis Mortimer is a legend. Brian Little, Gordon Cowans are legends. Olof Mellberg for his affinity with the fans is a legend. There are many more.

Gabby is so far from being a villa legend I'd say I'm closer to that status. I've not disrepected the club, the fans and what Aston Villa stands for. The derby goals are brilliant, but a far far cry from legend status.

One good season and he doesn't leave under a cloud. "Villa legend" is a pipe dream. (Pun totally intended!)

And what exactly do we "stand for"? We were a mediocre Premier League club for 25 years until even we managed to screw that up and in pathetically abysmal fashion. We are now languishing in the Championship and who know when or if we'll get out of it. 

Gabby for all his many faults scored bucket loads of winners in derbies, scored vital goals to save us from relegation a few times and played in arguably our most exciting team of the Premier League era. For a two-bit club like us who embarrass themselves at every opportunity and have brought nothing but misery on its fans for the last few years, people like Gabby and the way he made me feel many times are as good as its going to ever get. 

So yes, in my eyes he's a club legend. No other player has brought me of those moments in 25 years.

Edited by R.Bear

Â