Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

There was a moment in the first half - towards the 40th minute - where Gabby made a long run, was clearly knackered, and had to signal Hogan to cover him while he got his breath back.

He played well today, but he's not going to be able to play 90 mins much. For me, he's a fantastic super sub, but we can't rely on him to be a main striker.

That said, I'm chuffed he's back to the Gabby that offers something. It's great. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, poitier said:

He did well first half, but Bruce should have hooked him after an hour, tops. He barely touched the ball for the last 30 minutes and was obviously knackered.

Making it even stranger that Hogan was subbed off and not Gabby. Hogan actually seemed like he could still keep going whereas Gabby was gassed. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Making it even stranger that Hogan was subbed off and not Gabby. Hogan actually seemed like he could still keep going whereas Gabby was gassed. 

Anyone with an eyeball can see that Hogan is terrible at heading or holding up long balls, as our tactic towards the end was mainly this, I can see why Gabby would be favoured over Hogan.

31 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Anyone with an eyeball can see that Hogan is terrible at heading or holding up long balls, as our tactic towards the end was mainly this, I can see why Gabby would be favoured over Hogan.

And of course Gabby has such a wonderful first touch that kills the ball dead - thus allowing so many forward thinking options to materislise from this particular aspect of his game. 

Justified his inclusion yesterday.

Comes inside a bit too often for me when he's playing wide left, but did some good stuff and took his goal well.

If he always performs like that I've got no problem with him being a regular.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Justified his inclusion yesterday.

Comes inside a bit too often for me when he's playing wide left, but did some good stuff and took his goal well.

If he always performs like that I've got no problem with him being a regular.

If your happy to accept that level of performance for a season then I'm afraid you'll find yourself in a ever decreasing minority - quite frankly once again he was nothing more than bang average - although thinking about it - this appears to be  all it takes to big Gabby up - imo I don't think I have ever come across a player so decidedly average and get away with it for so long  with the masses ??

Oh well Stevo - it's your view, totally and utterly disagree but respect your rights to it - not sure you'll have it in a few games in though 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dave J said:

If your happy to accept that level of performance for a season then I'm afraid you'll find yourself in a ever decreasing minority - quite frankly once again he was nothing more than bang average - although thinking about it - this appears to be  all it takes to big Gabby up - imo I don't think I have ever come across a player so decidedly average and get away with it for so long  with the masses ??

Oh well Stevo - it's your view, totally and utterly disagree but respect your rights to it - not sure you'll have it in a few games in though 

I'm not a Gabby fan at all but for the first 30 minutes he was superb. After that first 30 minutes though he was blowing out of his arse and his performance dropped off to the point where we were carrying him. Impact player for the last 20 minutes should be all he's used for if Bruce insists on playing him.

• Like 2

Just now, daggy_333 said:

I'm not a Gabby fan at all but for the first 30 minutes he was superb. After that first 30 minutes though he was blowing out of his arse and his performance dropped off to the point where we were carrying him. Impact player for the last 20 minutes should be all he's used for if Bruce insists on playing him.

Fair enough if that's your interpretation of superb - then you are wholly entitled to this view- personally I saw average - and in my view he cannot be more than this because he is not good enough - but I respect your opinion 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dave J said:

Fair enough if that's your interpretation of superb - then you are wholly entitled to this view- personally I saw average - and in my view he cannot be more than this because he is not good enough - but I respect your opinion 

I'm interested to hear what more you think he could have done in that first 30 minutes? I saw him attacking with pace and defending well to help out Taylor. He missed a one on one which he should have scored but other than that I can't fault his first 30 minutes.

• Like 2

Â