Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

2 hours ago, avfc1982 said:

Remind me of the last player to score more than 80 goals for this club?

Dunno, remind me of the last player who has been here for 372 years to give him enough time to score that many goals. Works out on average, what 6 or 7 a year?

So no, won't hit double figures.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, avfc1982 said:

Nobody good has stayed long enough  to score that many have they. my point was its a long time ago since he was any good.  He was good for Oneill and had one good season under Lambert but that's years ago.

3 hours ago, avfc1982 said:

It's a ridiculously  low return for a striker given the amount of games played.imo 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Over their respective careers, Agbonlahor's goals to games ratio is pretty much the same as Heskey

At least Heskey had a bit of a first touch, could hold the ball up , plenty of footballing sense, others played enjoyed playing with him  - Gabby? Well he was quick !!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Killeen30 said:

Does anyone think he will reach double figures goals wise this season?

Simple yes or no answer.

No.

He's averaged about 4 goals per season for the last 7 years.

I dont see why as a 31 year old he's suddenly going to start rattling them in.

• Like 1

I like to look at this thread every so often and see the same posters in here with their groundhog day views. :) Cheers me up for some reason. In an ever changing world it is good to have some constants. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dave J said:

It's a ridiculously  low return for a striker given the amount of games played.imo 

80+ goals isn't to be sniffed at no matter how many games played. Also Gabby's never been an out and out striker and has played many games out wide. Besides, his decline started with the sabotage of Aston Villa by Randy Lerner. Gabby thrived on quality crosses, and the club sold every decent winger we had and replaced them with total crap. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, avfc1982 said:

80+ goals isn't to be sniffed at no matter how many games played. Also Gabby's never been an out and out striker and has played many games out wide. Besides, his decline started with the sabotage of Aston Villa by Randy Lerner. Gabby thrived on quality crosses, and the club sold every decent winger we had and replaced them with total crap. 

Well to be honest with you - if I had been lucky enough to have played for us - I can tell you this 80 goals in so many years / games would be very disappointing for me.

1 hour ago, avfc1982 said:

I really do not agree with this - his decline as you state -  in my humble opinion was inevitable due to him not being a very good footballer again  imo and nothing whatsoever to do with Learner/ playing staff. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, av1 said:

He was never one of the feared strikers in the Premier League. 

Maybe not by the very best defenders, but I think it's clear that there was a spell when he caused defenders a lot of problems. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, avfc1982 said:

Besides, his decline started with the sabotage of Aston Villa by Randy Lerner. Gabby thrived on quality crosses, and the club sold every decent winger we had and replaced them with total crap. 

For me his decline started when he argued with Houllier. Houllier knew his main attribute was his pace and told him to stop bulking up. Gabby (wrongly)disagreed. He lost a lot of momentum and confidence that season as he (rightfully) wasn't a first choice (his lowest prem starts until relegation yr I believe). He had the odd peak on form since then, but these were very short lived.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2017 at 16:37, av1 said:

He was never one of the feared strikers in the Premier League. 

Halcyon days indeed :thumb:

Sorry, but even without my Gabby blinders on, thats absolute bollox.

I can say that because it is not based on opinion, but actual facts.

There were times he ran teams completely ragged.

Just because a few posters on VT insist it is true, doesn't make it so.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Sorry, but even without my Gabby blinders on, thats absolute bollox.

I can say that because it is not based on opinion, but actual facts.

There were times he ran teams completely ragged.

Just because a few posters on VT insist is is true, doesn't make it so.

No JV - you do have your Gabby goggles on - I can assure you he really wasn't ever one of the most feared strikers in the league- stand down JV :-)

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Dave J said:

No JV - you do have your Gabby goggles on - I can assure you he really wasn't ever one of the most feared strikers in the league- stand down JV :-)

He may not have ever been one of the most feared, but he was feared by Premier League defences because he had blistering pace and strength on the ball. A top defender, I can't recall who, but may even have been JT, named him as the striker he least liked to play against because of those attributes. 

We all know he was never a great finisher and once he lost his motivation and let his game slip that was the slippery slope. He doesn't have amazing talent and needs to be absolutely on his game to be any good, like he was when he came on against Blues. If he had the same attitude as someone like James Milner he would have scored double the goals. 

He was great for us for a while, but hasn't been any good for a long time now, largely due to his attitude which has been extremely poor. If we're paying his wages then hopefully he can get some way to being the player he once was, but I fear those days will be fairly infrequent. 

• Like 2

Clean slate from me. I'm over all the bullshit from the season/s before last, he's not going to be a target for anyone and what he gets paid isn't his fault. If he contributes when called upon like in the derby I am happy.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

He may not have ever been one of the most feared, but he was feared by Premier League defences because he had blistering pace and strength on the ball. A top defender, I can't recall who, but may even have been JT, named him as the striker he least liked to play against because of those attributes. 

We all know he was never a great finisher and once he lost his motivation and let his game slip that was the slippery slope. He doesn't have amazing talent and needs to be absolutely on his game to be any good, like he was when he came on against Blues. If he had the same attitude as someone like James Milner he would have scored double the goals. 

He was great for us for a while, but hasn't been any good for a long time now, largely due to his attitude which has been extremely poor. If we're paying his wages then hopefully he can get some way to being the player he once was, but I fear those days will be fairly infrequent. 

I very much doubt he would have doubled his goal tally - I'm afraid he has never been good enough for this- attitude alone cannot make up such a shortfall of talent imo

Â