Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

3 hours ago, meregreen said:

I guess it's all about opinions. In my opinion he is one of the worst link up players I've ever seen, very easy to disposses, has no awareness of players around him, simply not a very "clever" player. Once his pace started to wane, and it is, he has very little to offer. Should have moved this guy on years ago.

I agree to an extent but.. my opinion is based on who is at the club.. and i dont think we have anyone better back to wall.. he keeps possession well.. well he has in pre season since hes been fit again. I remember when MON had him upfront on his own in that 451 formation and he was doing really well. 

We need a target man imo. Benteke style (obviously not as good)

8 hours ago, KSV said:

hate to say.. but he is our best link up striker.. he can hold the ball up and hes mobile........... until we sign someone better.. he may need to be starting more games than he should. 

Kodjia----------Gabby---------Hogan in a 433. 

As Meregreen so rightly points out football is about opinions  and in mine I really don't think Gabby can play with his back to goal - he's not good enough. Firstly you need a good touch to kill it - you then need a good awareness in a split second or two in order to bring team mates into the game or the ability to hang on to it until a team mate arrives - I'm afraid imo I see none of these qualities in him 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The last few matches he has played (going back to the derby at VP) he has looked like a red card waiting to happen. I suppose thats better than looking like he can't be arsed, but I'd give short odds that he sees red before Xmas. 

5 hours ago, KSV said:

I agree to an extent but.. my opinion is based on who is at the club.. and i dont think we have anyone better back to wall.. he keeps possession well.. well he has in pre season since hes been fit again. I remember when MON had him upfront on his own in that 451 formation and he was doing really well. 

We need a target man imo. Benteke style (obviously not as good)

and then he signed Heskey :angry: 

On 7/22/2017 at 17:29, Dave J said:

It's a ridiculously  low return for a striker given the amount of games played.imo 

His return was pretty good up to 2010...four seasons running which he hit double figures in the prem so consistant for a striker who's never been the greatest finisher, was played out wide quite a lot and didn't take penalties either which tops up a lot of strikers tallies when they're out of form.

Been poor since then, 5 goals on average and declining.

That said just me that would prefer him to start as lone striker ahead of Hogan? Gabby I thought played that role o.k in his games in January, Hogan looks totally unsuited to it. Gabby will be involved more than people think I reckon if he stays fit, on the bench as an impact player and will also start games I'm sure maybe even out wide given our lack of options.

He's lucky to be still here of course but he tends to be o.k for the British managers he's served under so he might be a surprise package this time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

His return was pretty good up to 2010...four seasons running which he hit double figures in the prem so consistant for a striker who's never been the greatest finisher, was played out wide quite a lot and didn't take penalties either which tops up a lot of strikers tallies when they're out of form.

Been poor since then, 5 goals on average and declining.

That said just me that would prefer him to start as lone striker ahead of Hogan? Gabby I thought played that role o.k in his games in January, Hogan looks totally unsuited to it. Gabby will be involved more than people think I reckon if he stays fit, on the bench as an impact player and will also start games I'm sure maybe even out wide given our lack of options.

He's lucky to be still here of course but he tends to be o.k for the British managers he's served under so he might be a surprise package this time.

Regardless it remains a poor return overall per games played. Whilst I agree that Hogan may not be the lone striker answer - it's definitely not Gabby either - he simply is not good enough imo and I saw nothing in January to suggest otherwise again imo. Bruce for some reason known to himself appears to rate him  - so he will get game time - but don't hold your breath on much of a return 

I tend to agree with Dave. Over a full career a return of 1 goal every 4 1/2 games is quite poor for a striker. And over the last 7 years he has a return of 1 goal in almost every 7 games. Why exactly are people thinking he is suddenly going to start scoring again.  Bruce has been sucked into giving him another chance. Ok he has lost weight and got fitter but why did he get so unfit when we have been paying him 65k a week. he never deserved another chance. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 3

is career record of 1 goal in every 4.5 games really that bad of a record considering he has been at best average in last 6 years and played a good amount of games for Villa on the wing

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

is career record of 1 goal in every 4.5 games really that bad of a record considering he has been at best average in last 6 years and played a good amount of games for Villa on the wing

Yes well Ronaldo has played there most of his career but still scored bags of goals

Just now, PaulC said:

Yes well Ronaldo has played there most of his career but still scored bags of goals

but Ronaldo is an all time great and has played with great players. Agbonlahor is an average English player with great pace and played with midfielders like Reo Coker, Westwood and Bacuna

really no comparison

Comparable would be someone like Vassell, I think he played 4-5 full seasons for us upfront. Did he even reach 50 goals for us, one year him and JPA linked superbly for half a year and so Vass got into double figures but can't remember him having another season like that.

JPA aswell, one brilliant year where he scored 23 goals in all competitions but other years where he only got 5 or 6.

It's not that easy. Gabby might actually have been close to 100 prem goals for us if he hadn't messed around from 2013 which would've been quite an achievement as Yorke didn't manage that for us.

Just for comparisons....Yorkie 73 goals in 232 games.

Dublin 48 goals in 155 games

Benteke 42 goals in 89 games

JPA          44 goals in 175 games

Carew       37 goals in 113 games

Vassell    35 goals in  162 games

Gabby      74 goals in 335 games

Benteke. :wub:

Dosen't look good for Gabby but he's still been making 20 odd appearences a year on average for us since 2013 when he started declining and has scored very few goals so around that time his ratio probably wasn't that far off Yorke.

Edited by VillaChris

46 minutes ago, Zatman said:

As someone said above, more like 1 in 7 over the last few years....... 

I do agree he has been average, admittedly there were a couple of seasons when he looked pretty good, and to be honest, he was shining in the 08-09 season up front on his own and we and he were flying. Really thought that he could be the next great thing. He scored 11 goals that season. Then we signed Heskey and changed the shape of the team to accommodate him, and then everything went downhill from there. 

Over the past 4 years, Gabby has been nothing short of a joke and has been a very lucky boy to still be at the club. That said, we are not going to be able to offload him this season - and maybe just maybe he will be of use to us, so we should use him as it suits us. I hate seeing him in my teams colours, but if we are paying him, we may as well get something back.

Just to add - Emile's career average is 1 goal in every 4.0 games (better than Gabbys!). How many people would welcome him back??? (forgetting his age for a moment). 

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I tend to agree with Dave. Over a full career a return of 1 goal every 4 1/2 games is quite poor for a striker. And over the last 7 years he has a return of 1 goal in almost every 7 games. Why exactly are people thinking he is suddenly going to start scoring again.  Bruce has been sucked into giving him another chance. Ok he has lost weight and got fitter but why did he get so unfit when we have been paying him 65k a week. he never deserved another chance. 

Part of the blame has to go with managers who became obsessed with playing him out wide.

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Comparable would be someone like Vassell, I think he played 4-5 full seasons for us upfront. Did he even reach 50 goals for us, one year him and JPA linked superbly for half a year and so Vass got into double figures but can't remember him having another season like that.

JPA aswell, one brilliant year where he scored 23 goals in all competitions but other years where he only got 5 or 6.

It's not that easy. Gabby might actually have been close to 100 prem goals for us if he hadn't messed around from 2013 which would've been quite an achievement as Yorke didn't manage that for us.

I don't think you can blame the managers for Gabby's tail off in terms of goals.  Lambert got something out of him in his first season out wide and Sherwood managed it short term but hes has seemed the type of player since Oneill that only really puts in the effort short term. Even under Oneill actually he only played for half a season. He always tailed off after February 

• Like 2

I wasn't blaming the managers, Gabby's always been too comfortable here and his conduct in 15/16 was disgraceful.

Was just saying from that list it's too easy to say he should've scored 100 goals as he's been here forever when only Benteke, Yorke and possibly Dublin would've achieved it from our list.

I just think he might have a bigger impact on this season than people are imagining particularly if Hogan continues to look ill suited in our set up. Kodjia as our number one and Gabby to turn back the clock nicking goals coming off the bench and putting in good shifts in away games is my prediction. Hogan to score 4 goals off his backside against Burton and QPR.

Just for s*its and giggles, I did a very unscientific comparison of games played vs goals for some of our old player to see how Gabby stacked up against them.... using stats from Soccerbase.com I came up with

Player                                  Pld        Goals      Rate           296 matches

Tony Morley  *                   179          34          0.190         56

Gabby Agbonlahor           296        74           0.25            74

Juan Pablo Angel             134        44           0.33            97

Dean Saunders                 115         38          0.33             97

Darius Vassell                   107         35          0.33             97

Savo Milosevic                 86            29          0.34           100

Dwight Yorke                     200        73           0.365         108

Luke Moore                      36             14         0.39            115 (!)

David Platt                        121          50          0.413          122

John Carew                       89           37          0.416          123

Julian Joachim                 90             39          0.43           128

Darren Bent                        45          21           0.467          138

Peter Withe *                      182           90         0.495         146

Gary Shaw *                        165          78         0.47            140

Johnathan Kodjia             36           19          0.53             156

<edited to put them in order>

These figures are for league games only. For the legends Shaw, Morley and Withe, it includes league and cup games as these were the only stats I could find

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Thanks 1

Â