Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

9 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

For me his decline started when he argued with Houllier. Houllier knew his main attribute was his pace and told him to stop bulking up. Gabby (wrongly)disagreed. He lost a lot of momentum and confidence that season as he (rightfully) wasn't a first choice (his lowest prem starts until relegation yr I believe). He had the odd peak on form since then, but these were very short lived.

Houllier initially and then Roy Keane saw right through Gabby - Houllier would have got rid but for his own health issues preventing him from continuing as manager.

• Like 2

His attitude was fine under Oneill. it wasn't in question. he got the maximum out of his ability. Its like in cricket you can make keeper out of a batsman but hes never going to be a natural. we have had so many more talented strikers that have come through our ranks. Shaw, Little, Deehan, Vassell, Luke Moore but none have scored as many goals. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

His attitude was fine under Oneill. it wasn't in question. he got the maximum out of his ability. Its like in cricket you can make keeper out of a batsman but hes never going to be a natural. we have had so many more talented strikers that have come through our ranks. Shaw, Little, Deehan, Vassell, Luke Moore but none have scored as many goals. 

Because none played the same amount of games - surely you cannot be comparing Gabby to Shaw or Little? both of whom were exceptionally technically gifted footballers - he should not be mentioned in the same breath as either of these two legends in my view.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Because none played the same amount of games - surely you cannot be comparing Gabby to Shaw or Little? both of whom were exceptionally technically gifted footballers - he should not be mentioned in the same breath as either of these two legends in my view.

No he's not in the same league as those two. my point was exactly that. he should have been got rid of years ago. why he is still here with his record over the last 5 or 6 years is ridiculous. I cant understand why people still want him here. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Gabby between 2007 and 2012 was a fantastic player for us. If we could find that Gabby i'd stick him upfront in every single game.

I'd actually say more like between 2006-2010 he was a good player for us. His best season was by far the 2009-2010 one, but he never really pushed on from there. MON's style benefited him massively.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

No he's not in the same league as those two. my point was exactly that. he should have been got rid of years ago. why he is still here with his record over the last 5 or 6 years is ridiculous. I cant understand why people still want him here. 

Sorry my bad :-)

These are excerpts from a damning little article about his fall from Grace, but it also takes into account how highly regarded he was at one stage. The point is, it doesn't matter what transpired and how you now think of him. Trying to brainwash people into thinking he was never good, dangerous or had high standing in the game is frankly pathetic and simply not true. People could also post the highlight clips of his career until there are blue and some people would say he was cloned.

https://soccer.clickon.co/2016/04/20/gabriel-agbonlahor-was-once-the-future-of-english-football/

Gabriel Agbonlahor Was Once The Future Of English Football

It’s unthinkable now of course, but once upon a time Gabriel Agbonlahor was hailed as the answer to all of England’s attacking woes… I kid you not.

Let me take you back to 2010.

In the aftermath of England’s woeful World Cup performance, Capello named Agbonlahor as the player he would be looking to to rebuild England’s squad.

Makes for tough reading after everything that’s transpired since – this past season in particular. Fellow pro’s and international teammates had nothing but glowing remarks about Agbonlahor, tipping him to be the man to lead the line for England in years to come.

Speaking ahead of a friendly with Germany, one of the three International’s in which the Aston Villa pulled on an England shirt, former England captain Terry was quick to praise the ‘excitement’ he brought to the squad:

“It is good to come away and see what they are like day in and day out and maybe in 10-15 years time I will turn around to people and say ‘I played with him’.”

John Terry, 2008

18 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'd actually say more like between 2006-2010 he was a good player for us. His best season was by far the 2009-2010 one, but he never really pushed on from there. MON's style benefited him massively.

16 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

These are excerpts from a damning little article about his fall from Grace, but it also takes into account how highly regarded he was at one stage. The point is, it doesn't matter what transpired and how you now think of him. Trying to brainwash people into thinking he was never good, dangerous or had high standing in the game is frankly pathetic and simply not true. People could also post the highlight clips of his career until there are blue and some people would say he was cloned.

https://soccer.clickon.co/2016/04/20/gabriel-agbonlahor-was-once-the-future-of-english-football/

Remind me again JV he played for England how many times? I think you'll find they saw him at close qaurters and thought. NO!

5 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I remember him actually getting INJURED when he was called up unfortunately. So don't skip that historical fact either.

Yes he never got in after that.

Agbonlahor pulled out of that squad after getting hurt during the training camp, having withdrawn on several previous occasions because of injuries and personal reasons.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villas-gabriel-agbonlahor-eager-6298405

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

56 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I seem to remember him being quite effective for Lambert at the start, but you are right that his best years were up to 2010.

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You're so desperately wedded to the idea that he's shit now that you can't accept there was a time when he was anything but shit. 

That's fine, it's your opinion, you're welcome to it if you want. But don't be surprised when other people take a more rounded view of history than that. 

I've been a critic of Gabby, but only because I remember how good he could be. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You're so desperately wedded to the idea that he's shit now that you can't accept there was a time when he was anything but shit. 

That's fine, it's your opinion, you're welcome to it if you want. But don't be surprised when other people take a more rounded view of history than that. 

No that's fine - I totally accept that there are many fans who like him - for me personally I just think he's always been poor imo 

• Like 1

Â