Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

23 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Proof?

In fact havnt we picked up more points with Gabby in the team than without him. However much you think your opinion is correct, you really can't prove it in anyway..... at all..... not even remotely possible.

Well no, neither point can be truly proved I suppose. 

What is without doubt however is that it's complete bollocks that not wanting gabby in the team means you don't want villa to go up.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jon_c said:

I don't know how tongue in cheek this is, or not, but I said i wouldn't watch us again if Richards was playing for us. So I didn't watch Bruce's first game. Then when Gabby made it back in, I felt the same. I used to watch everything Villa related religiously but these sorts of players, playing for us, has made me totally apathetic to it. Subsequently, I haven't watched a game now since Bruce took over, and I don't really miss it at the moment.   

I get that. Probably the best way to watch us at the moment is via the BBC website -when the result is in. ;) But all managers have blindspots.  

I knew when we got Bruce that we'd probably improve defensively and be better at set pieces, but that the football wouldn't be so great. That's how it's panning out so far. He would have been my choice too, over Wagner and some of the more exotic names, as we needed someone who could come in and hit the ground running. 

A sort of low rent MON, if you like.  

We have ground out results so far, as opposed to continuously throwing away leads from good positions, so there is progress and he should be hailed for it. Doesn't mean doubts can't be expressed about his approach or his track record. He is 55, been a manager for the best part of 20 years and yet -prior to us- hasn't managed any club of note. That isn't accidental. He only gets a job as big as this because we have torpedoed our own boat so spectacularly. 

I was concerned about the Richards selection. Picking a player (Gabby) who looks like he needs about three pre seasons is even more bizarre.  Despite ample evidence that the pair have been in semi retirement in recent seasons, it seems Bruce needs to see them stink the place out on his watch just to be sure. I wouldn't back the pair of them to do much, but they should be able to deliver for him there, at least. 

Edited by HolteExile
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Woodytom said:

Well no, neither point can be truly proved I suppose. 

What is without doubt however is that it's complete bollocks that not wanting gabby in the team means you don't want villa to go up.

I can agree with that but what is also complete bollocks is the negativity towards someone who whether we like him or not (and I've already stated he is not my favourite person) is helping us acrrue points that in turn could help us get promoted.

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

I can agree with that but what is also complete bollocks is the negativity towards someone who whether we like him or not (and I've already stated he is not my favourite person) is helping us acrrue points that in turn could help us get promoted.

But that's a ridiculously narrow minded way of looking at how a football fan evaluates players. 

In theory, all villa players are helping us accrue points that could help us get promoted. By your opinion here, we shouldn't have anything negative to say about any of them. 

5 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

But that's a ridiculously narrow minded way of looking at how a football fan evaluates players. 

In theory, all villa players are helping us accrue points that could help us get promoted. By your opinion here, we shouldn't have anything negative to say about any of them. 

The quantity of negativity about one player which has been discussed at the length it  has in every point in this thread.

Edited by Villan_of_oz

6 hours ago, HolteExile said:

I get that. Probably the best way to watch us at the moment is probably via the BBC website -when the result is in. ;) But all managers have blindspots.  

I knew when we got Bruce that we'd probably improve defensively and be better at set pieces, but that the football wouldn't be so great. That's how it's panning out so far. He would have been my choice too, over Wagner and some of the more exotic names, as we needed someone who could come in and hit the ground running. 

A sort of low rent MON, if you like.  

We have ground out results so far, as opposed to continuously throwing away leads from good positions, so there is progress and he should be hailed for it. Doesn't mean doubts can't be expressed about his approach or his track record. He is 55, been a manager for the best part of 20 years and yet -prior to us- hasn't managed any club of note. That isn't accidental. He only gets a job as big as this because we have torpedoed our own boat so spectacularly. 

I was concerned about the Richards selection. Picking a player (Gabby) who looks like he needs about three pre seasons is even more bizarre.  Despite ample evidence that the pair have been in semi retirement in recent seasons, it seems Bruce needs to see them stink the place out on his watch just to be sure. I wouldn't back the pair of them to do much, but they should be able to deliver for him there, at least. 

I agree with most of what you say here- good post even if I disagree with the last line. :-)

9 hours ago, Bottle Maker said:

I thought Gabby played well my.   Surprised he did not take the penalty but thinking about it I can not remember him taking one did he take them?

Trust me, i'm pretty sure NONE of us would have wanted him to take it. He can't.

The one thing about Bruce and similar types of managers, is that we will always have a few Gabby's and Richards (BTW is he injured or kicked out of the team?) in and around the starting XI, as they seem to like overrated, overpaid Englishmen. The only comment I had about Bruce before he was hired was that he would bring Gabby back, sad to see I was right. Poor game today, need to learn to control games. Otherwise it has been a decent start by Bruce. Though, I still do not see him here long term, which is a shame, as he will surely bring in plenty of players in January, which when he leaves/ is sacked we again will be stuck with a lot of unwanted player which we are putting into our new bomb squad. 

When rebuilding a squad, I prefer a long term solution instead of a short fix. 

• Like 2

So another anonymous performance by this charlatan- cue excuses of rustiness or cliches- he held the ball up well, worked hard blah blah blah. The guy has had it as a footballer and should be let go next month. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, thabucks said:

So another anonymous performance by this charlatan- cue excuses of rustiness or cliches- he held the ball up well, worked hard blah blah blah. The guy has had it as a footballer and should be let go next month. 

He was in for 14 minutes. In a game we were losing and lost most of our structure trying to get back into it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

He is going nowhere, I can assure you. He has already had the opportunity and turned it down. He will ease through the remainder of his contract and then will probably retire.

I think he has done ok since he has been surprisingly brought back from the cold. He has lost weight (which he shouldn't have had in the first place) kept his head down and has a few small contributions when brought on. When all said and done it is better to try and eke out some use for his 50 grand a week contract this season than let him disappear in the reserves. He is not in my good books and the last 2 odd years has ruined the previous years of good service, but if he has a small part to play in Villa's recovery as a football club then that will go some way to restore his tattered reputation.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Geez i hope Bruce is just talking shit to the press.. We will be losing Adomah (probably) Kodjia and Ayew. We cant go for a month with Gabby Gestede and an out of form McCormack. We will lose any momentum we have created. 

Â