Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

24 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

The only logic I see in playing The Shit clearing in every wood there is, is when subbing him we go up a gear or 3 so as to gain momentum whilst the opposition begin to tire

So Bruce is using Gabby kinda like a pawn sacrifice in chess.

It's the only explanation :D

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Why? 

His inclusion has seen positive results. 

Draw at blues, beating Blackburn and a draw yesterday. 

What's the issue with these results? 

Just you wait and see it play out!

no issue with results- but please don't tell me that he has contributed significantly- and before anyone mentions this - it was a flick of the head, no great ability needed here I'm afraid to say.

1 minute ago, Dave J said:

no issue with results- but please don't tell me that he has contributed significantly- and before anyone mentions this - it was a flick of the head, no great ability needed here I'm afraid to say.

He's contributed as much as any other player. So, what you're basically saying, is because he didn't score he hasn't contributed significantly? So only Nathan baker can take any credit for the Brighton draw? So gabby didn't work hard and put the defence under pressure and defend from the front? No? I'd say every player involved at Brighton contributed significantly to our best performance of the season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave J said:

This is the concern for me meregreen- it appears that Bruce does actually rate him- which in turn makes me worry about Bruce. 

I'm also worried about Bruce. I mean, 6 games unbeaten for the first time in god knows how long, first away win, playing good football, a manager that knows what he's doing, got us fitter... I could carry on. So yeah, blatantly terrified that because Bruce rates gabby then we are in the shit.

• Like 1

Let's forget who the player is for a second.

It's interesting to me, how Bruce has commented publicly on the players fitness, but without it being taken "negatively"by the player as so many would. To manage to get that positive change in the player. To get the player involved and willing to change, and "buying in" to the rehab process, despite the "humiliation" of having the fitness shortcomings pointed out in stark clear terms. To get the player to respond so "positively",is incredible man management.

Taking a step back, I do think the player has,if not been "unlucky" as such, has suffered more than most in the squad to the churn of managers and coaches. He was initially, due to his pace, an excellent player for us,but, without being unkind or labeling him a "1 trick pony" only had a limited suite of top class skills, and since O Neill, we've not had a manager identifiably exploit them.

If any of us, at our work, had one thing we were particularly good at, like, say spreadsheets, and we got to "star performer" in our company, recognised for that ability, and then had a change of manager, several times over, where you were then sent to do almost anything but spreadsheets, and then were continually criticised for not being that "star performer" anymore, we'd probably have lost enthusiasm.  Gabby is a round peg, who only ever fitted well into a round hole. Sending him out to play wide on the wings, or not utilising that pace, was always going to be a waste of time, and largely from Houlier onwards, he's not been played to his strengths.

Given Bruce's "non bomb squad" approach to successfully rehabilitating even the players who looked furthest from the starting 11, means more players for selection, more options, and more players "upping their game" to get selected over and above the others. More competition for places can only be a good thing - the total antithesis of the "bomb squad".

It's the most identifiable different thing Bruce has done to RDM, RG, TS, PL and all the others going back years. Yet so simple - to get the whole squad buying into the team. That alone might explain why the players are a happier, harder working bunch than 17 games ago.  One squad = unity. Multiple "squads" = disunity.

Gabby is simply a metaphor for a number of man/player management skills Bruce appears to have, and it will be interesting to see if he can to continue it at a decent club, with decent resources and a genuinely ambitious chairman.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

He's contributed as much as any other player. So, what you're basically saying, is because he didn't score he hasn't contributed significantly? So only Nathan baker can take any credit for the Brighton draw? So gabby didn't work hard and put the defence under pressure and defend from the front? No? I'd say every player involved at Brighton contributed significantly to our best performance of the season.

Nope - not saying anything of the sort- that's your words not mine. But with respect if you really believe that then you are kidding yourself.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I'm also worried about Bruce. I mean, 6 games unbeaten for the first time in god knows how long, first away win, playing good football, a manager that knows what he's doing, got us fitter... I could carry on. So yeah, blatantly terrified that because Bruce rates gabby then we are in the shit.

If Bruce believes Gabby is a better centre forward than Kodjia - then yeah I'm worried!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dave J said:

He's played a part. 

And if Bruce still wants to use him I'm confident he'll continue to get good results using the squad the way he wants. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Juju said:

Let's forget who the player is for a second.

It's interesting to me, how Bruce has commented publicly on the players fitness, but without it being taken "negatively"by the player as so many would. To manage to get that positive change in the player. To get the player involved and willing to change, and "buying in" to the rehab process, despite the "humiliation" of having the fitness shortcomings pointed out in stark clear terms. To get the player to respond so "positively",is incredible man management.

Taking a step back, I do think the player has,if not been "unlucky" as such, has suffered more than most in the squad to the churn of managers and coaches. He was initially, due to his pace, an excellent player for us,but, without being unkind or labeling him a "1 trick pony" only had a limited suite of top class skills, and since O Neill, we've not had a manager identifiably exploit them.

If any of us, at our work, had one thing we were particularly good at, like, say spreadsheets, and we got to "star performer" in our company, recognised for that ability, and then had a change of manager, several times over, where you were then sent to do almost anything but spreadsheets, and then were continually criticised for not being that "star performer" anymore, we'd probably have lost enthusiasm.  Gabby is a round peg, who only ever fitted well into a round hole. Sending him out to play wide on the wings, or not utilising that pace, was always going to be a waste of time, and largely from Houlier onwards, he's not been played to his strengths.

Given Bruce's "non bomb squad" approach to successfully rehabilitating even the players who looked furthest from the starting 11, means more players for selection, more options, and more players "upping their game" to get selected over and above the others. More competition for places can only be a good thing - the total antithesis of the "bomb squad".

It's the most identifiable different thing Bruce has done to RDM, RG, TS, PL and all the others going back years. Yet so simple - to get the whole squad buying into the team. That alone might explain why the players are a happier, harder working bunch than 17 games ago.  One squad = unity. Multiple "squads" = disunity.

Gabby is simply a metaphor for a number of man/player management skills Bruce appears to have, and it will be interesting to see if he can to continue it at a decent club, with decent resources and a genuinely ambitious chairman.

Well put, and provides balance and common sense to the situation. Unfortunately, it is wasted on those here that enjoy hating Villa players.

4 minutes ago, AJ said:

Well put, and provides balance and common sense to the situation. Unfortunately, it is wasted on those here that enjoy hating Villa players.

Hate is a very strong word and not one that I would choose to use to be truthful with you- personally I just don't believe him good enough that's all- certainly no hate from me :-)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Juju said:

This isn't actually something I had considered, point well made. We all know and complained about the squad culture  (or lack of it), the approach you mention certainly would change that if everyone thought they had a shot if they put the work in. As long as he isn't unfairly favoured by Bruce I have no problem with it.

On 11/20/2016 at 13:43, Juju said:

If this where true, I'd have no problem with Gabby getting some time on the pitch, preferably only in the dying minutes of a match. Unfortunately I don't agree, and seeing him get the nod over Ayew, Gestede, Kozak, RHM, Green and whatever up and coming youngsters we have, suggest Bruce actually rates him, which is very disappointing.

Still, as long as we're not losing, I'm (mostly) gonna keep my views in the matter 'civilized'. Fwiw I don't think he offered much anything against Brighton. Got a pretty decent, lucky chance as well, which he totally squandered. To me he looked as clumsy, and unfit as ever. Considering he's overall 'contribution' thus far this season, I can pretty much guarantee that RHM or even Gestede would've done no worse. 

Don't know if he was substituted due to fatigue, a knock or both, but I really hope we don't see him starting against Cardiff.

• Like 2

On 17/11/2016 at 18:40, Woodytom said:

As it stands, no I wouldn't. His involvement, which I never ever thought would truly come about, has genuinely alienated me. 

Since Gabby is clearly back in the fold, does this mean you're no longer a fan of Aston Villa Football Club?

• Like 2

I don't want to see him in the side on Saturday - but it wouldn't surprise me.  If we are going down the road of rewarding professional athletes with starting places for training, and losing the excess weight they shouldn't have, what does that say to our crop of talented internationals sitting on the bench.

We have the best players in the league in Ayew and Grealish - these guys are the future of this club, but will only hang around if the are playing, and the club is going in the right direction.  The squad is top heavy, and bringing gabby in only adds to this further.

The ONLY benefit I can see, is that Bruce is getting him ready for January, when a few leave for the African Nations Cup.

Edited by philgetaway

Â