Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

On 31/10/2016 at 21:59, Woodytom said:

Poor player. Poor attitude and a huge reason imo, for this clubs demise.

I could think of an owner, some yes men chief executives and maybe 4 or 5 shit managers for our demise more than 1 player

these are people that played him and offered him contracts

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I could think of an owner, some yes men chief executives and maybe 4 or 5 shit managers for our demise more than 1 player

Yes I make you right - however woodytom's comments are no less relevant IMO 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Absolutely agree 

BUT

That does not excuse his behaviour, or how poor a footballer he is

• Like 2

We play with three forward players - I think at the moment the first choice three are Ayew, Kodjia and Adomah. The second choice three are Grealish, McCormack and Gestede. I make Gabby 7th choice for one of three positions at the moment, just ahead of Green and Hepburn-Murphy. With Ayew, Adomah and Grealish potentially out on Saturday, I think that should put him on the bench. It's also tremendous depth - I have no idea who our 7th choice is for a midfield berth.

On 11/2/2016 at 17:33, kurtsimonw said:

He also only played up front for a few years. His scoring generally dropped on the wing.

but if he was scoring/doing enough in the centre he wouldn't have been put out on the wing, surely ( presumably they just accomodated his pace)....I don't quite get the logic of using that to make the point.

However, I'm in support of him getting fit and see what he can do for us.

On 11/2/2016 at 18:42, Dave J said:

Really- please, has this man not been afforded enough excuses?

I guess the alternative to getting him fit and seeing if we can add a further tool to the tool box.....is paying him £65k per week for being on facebook and texting the world....another 2 years of that to me smacks of cutting your nose off to spite your face.

He is like a tenant refusing to move out.....SB will handle it right.

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

but if he was scoring/doing enough in the centre he wouldn't have been put out on the wing, surely ( presumably they just accomodated his pace)....I don't quite get the logic of using that to make the point.

As a striker, alongside Carew, his record wasn't bad.35 goals and 23 assists in the league in roughly a 3 year period. When he was up top on his own (the 6 months under Houlllier) and when Bent/Benteke were here (and he was pushed wide) his goal return wasn't as good. But surely that's to be expected? We didn't expect Downing, Young, Milner, etc to bang in 10+ league goals every year.

I think his record isn't great overall, but as a second striker, he did a good job for us those years. Obviously when played out of position and in lesser sides, his return got worse. But as would everyones IMO.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

As a striker, alongside Carew, his record wasn't bad.35 goals and 23 assists in the league in roughly a 3 year period. When he was up top on his own (the 6 months under Houlllier) and when Bent/Benteke were here (and he was pushed wide) his goal return wasn't as good. But surely that's to be expected? We didn't expect Downing, Young, Milner, etc to bang in 10+ league goals every year.

I think his record isn't great overall, but as a second striker, he did a good job for us those years. Obviously when played out of position and in lesser sides, his return got worse. But as would everyones IMO.

would  you not say you   are agreeing with TRO when you say that he was pushed wide by Bent/Benteke- thus confirming that he wasn't/isn't good enough To be a striker 

and whilst I agree with most things TRO posts I don't subscribe to the view of keeping him at the club to see if Bruce can get a tune out of him- like many I would like him to leave please.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave J said:

would  you not say you   are agreeing with TRO when you say that he was pushed wide by Bent/Benteke- thus confirming that he wasn't/isn't good enough To be a striker 

I'm not agreeing because that logic doesn't work IMO. if Bayern signed Suarez and only play with 1 striker, that doesn't mean Lewandowski isn't good enough. Just means there was a better option. I think it's right that he was pushed, because Bent/Benteke are better forwards. But that's also a huge contributor as to why his goal record got worse.

I don't rate Gabby. I think he's a poor finisher and just relies on pace/strength most of his career. But those 3 years he was very effective for us in a position he enjoyed playing in.

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

I'm not agreeing because that logic doesn't work IMO. if Bayern signed Suarez and only play with 1 striker, that doesn't mean Lewandowski isn't good enough. Just means there was a better option. I think it's right that he was pushed, because Bent/Benteke are better forwards. But that's also a huge contributor as to why his goal record got worse.

I don't rate Gabby. I think he's a poor finisher and just relies on pace/strength most of his career. But those 3 years he was very effective for us in a position he enjoyed playing in.

Well we do at least agree on some points  :-)

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

We play with three forward players - I think at the moment the first choice three are Ayew, Kodjia and Adomah. The second choice three are Grealish, McCormack and Gestede. I make Gabby 7th choice for one of three positions at the moment, just ahead of Green and Hepburn-Murphy. With Ayew, Adomah and Grealish potentially out on Saturday, I think that should put him on the bench. It's also tremendous depth - I have no idea who our 7th choice is for a midfield berth.

Westwood?:ph34r:

• Like 2

On 31/10/2016 at 22:39, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The 50-or-so supporters who turned up to watch him against Blackburn Rovers in the 4-0 win appreciated his efforts and gave him a standing ovation as he left the field.

It is only second hand information I have but on BBC Radio WM's phone in tonight a Villa fan who was at the game said Gabby ignored the fans who gave him that ovation as he left the field. He might not have heard it (to give him the benefit of the doubt) particularly had it been the 50-or-so the Birmingham Mail mention above rather than the 200 the Villa fan said were there but it reminds me a little of the last goal he scored in front of the Holte End when he chose not to celebrate his goal. It appeared then that he held us fans responsible rather than himself for the downturn in his fortunes. That should not have been the case then and it should not be now. If Gabby wants a second/third/fourth chance with us then the least he can do is to offer the same to the fans who have and who continue to contribute towards his wages.     

• Like 1

Â