Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

3 hours ago, Dave J said:

You need to realise JV the depth of feeling that your fellow supporters have for what this guy did last season- for many of them - there should not be any way back for him, and I can relate to this view point, for me however I'll say it again quite clearly in my humble opinion he is not and and has never been good enough at being a professional  footballer to represent ASTON VILLA FC. 

I get it, but surely even YOU guys who don't like him must realise how OTT that comment is? "Became disinterested in Villa and the game?". Come on man!

3 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

The point I was making, which you obviously missed with your Gabby wankfest was that he would have been a better option to come on when Gabby came on earlier.

You know what's funny,if you look in the match thread, I said Tshibola should have been coming on instead of Gabby, using your own words, IT IS POSSIBLE TO SUPPORT a player because you appreciate their contribution to the club without it being a "wankfest". "Wankfest" became popular on here for people in the New Manager thread who didn't think Steve Beuce was a terrible appointment.

Anyway. not trying to get patty. 

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

"Became disinterested in Villa and the game?". Come on man!

All them times when I said, I have no time for him, I really wasn't joking.

I was stunned when he was on the bench and shocked when he came on. 

Tbh, the game wasn't the most interesting anyway.

I think he has the potential to be a decent late impact substitute, should he be able to stay motivated and fit. He certainly didn't look too bad yesterday despite not playing since March. 

But that was against Birmingham. This is Gabby after all and I don't know just how up for it he'd be against the likes of Burton or Brentford. There is also a part of me that would rather these opportunities go to Hepburn-Murphy and other youth.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

There is also a part of me that would rather these opportunities go to Hepburn-Murphy and other youth.

It's an important point. We're paying Gabby a lot of money, so it's tempting to try and get some sort of return on the investment, but if he's not going to consistently make an impact on the game, we're spending valuable time trying to reinvigorate the career of a 30 year old rather than youth players.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thunderball said:

Lol, Gabby is not even close to "Legendary"! Absolutely nowhere near, even before his antics and estrangementant. His application, lack of integrity and commitment over the past two years tarnishes even the [very] little merit he has prior to this.

Even at his peak (circa MON era), I considered he was one of the weak links and we would kick on if, for example, we had a Defoe in place of him. He is not a natural goal scorer, he usually fluffs his one-on-ones. His strengths were: decent in the air, pace (as a distraction), but he even with this he struggled out wide. Lacks footballing intelligence, he is one dimensional. 

That said, all things considered, showed a glimmer of usefulness yesterday, but never a starter for me, and won't figure after this season.

For a team like us, who have achieved essentially nothing in most of our lives, having a player who's scored in many derbies, stayed with us for 10 years etc is as good as we will ever get. We're never going to have a genuine legend because anyone decent will be carted off after a couple of good games. It's all relative.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phumfeinz said:

There is also a part of me that would rather these opportunities go to Hepburn-Murphy and other youth.

I get that argument but for me Bruce has to base his decisions on what he sees in training and whether he believes that RHM is yet ready to make the step up to regular first team action and can have the instant impact that we need. We aren’t really in a position to be bedding in youngsters as we want instant results to get us out of this division.

If Bruce believes Gabby, when fit, can hit the ground running in this league and that RHM can’t then I think he should go with Gabby.

We have a lot of forwards in the squad but a number of them are totally unproven above the level we are currently playing at. Despite being poor for a number of years Gabby has played for 10 years in the top flight and scored goals and had a positive impact on a lot of games. It may well be that he is or will outshine some of our other forwards in training and that the step down in level, and for me it is a decent step down, could mean, as Bruce has intimated, that he could be a real force at this level. Whilst I have strong doubts that will be the case I hope he is.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

With players at this club giving their best  and not getting on the pitch. Watching this waster get a game when he has done nothing to merit that chance, must be a kick in the teeth for them. Bruce needs to realise that team spirit can be affected by giving someone, anyone, preferential treatment. I say again, he has done absolutely nothing to deserve a place in this team.

Edited by meregreen
  • Like 4

was a 20 minutes sample but I think difference yesterday was his attitude when he came on compared to under previous managers. He knows Bruce wont take his attitude

Edited by Zatman

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You know what's funny,if you look in the match thread, I said Tshibola should have been coming on instead of Gabby, using your own words, IT IS POSSIBLE TO SUPPORT a player because you appreciate their contribution to the club without it being a "wankfest". "Wankfest" became popular on here for people in the New Manager thread who didn't think Steve Beuce was a terrible appointment.

Anyway. not trying to get patty. 

Fair play - I didn't read the match thread as I was working all day, so recorded the game to watch when I got in and had to avoid all things Villa all day.

The wankfest comment was an attempt to continue that joke into here, apologies if it didn't come across as intended.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

It's an important point. We're paying Gabby a lot of money, so it's tempting to try and get some sort of return on the investment, but if he's not going to consistently make an impact on the game, we're spending valuable time trying to reinvigorate the career of a 30 year old rather than youth players.

This for me is massive. Why give Gabby the chances rather than develop one of the youngsters? Now it is possible (some may argue) that Gabby would have more of an immediate impact on games, but I don't see that. Yes he ran around a lot yesterday, but didn't really have much of an impact, other than the mind games part of it. I would think that someone like RHM given game time would have more of an impact longer term and is the future, Gabby is the past.

The fine line here is that we cannot afford sentiment or give players time to come good, we need to be gaining points 3 at a time NOW. Now, sadly I don't believe either the likes of RHM or Gabby will contribute to that immediately. I would rather we went and loaned someone in Jan. Someone who can hit the ground running. That has to be plan A. Plan B should be to hide Kodjia's passport.

Some people have said that we should focus on RB and CM in the window rather than strikers, but I say do all three. Funding should not be an issue and there is space in the squad.

• Like 1

I could be wrong but I reckon there was more SHA thinking he was gonna score the winner than villa fans were. 

What have the youngsters got to do to queue jump this waster ??!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, meregreen said:

With players at this club giving their best  and not getting on the pitch. Watching this waster get a game when he has done nothing to merit that chance, must be a kick in the teeth for them. Bruce needs to realise that team spirit can be affected by giving someone, anyone, preferential treatment. I say again, he has done absolutely nothing to deserve a place in this team.

Are all of Villa's training sessions open to the public then? I didn't realise all of VT went to watch them all.

9 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

This for me is massive. Why give Gabby the chances rather than develop one of the youngsters? Now it is possible (some may argue) that Gabby would have more of an immediate impact on games, but I don't see that. Yes he ran around a lot yesterday, but didn't really have much of an impact, other than the mind games part of it. I would think that someone like RHM given game time would have more of an impact longer term and is the future, Gabby is the past.

The fine line here is that we cannot afford sentiment or give players time to come good, we need to be gaining points 3 at a time NOW. Now, sadly I don't believe either the likes of RHM or Gabby will contribute to that immediately. I would rather we went and loaned someone in Jan. Someone who can hit the ground running. That has to be plan A. Plan B should be to hide Kodjia's passport.

Some people have said that we should focus on RB and CM in the window rather than strikers, but I say do all three. Funding should not be an issue and there is space in the squad.

I don't take anything overly serious on here mate, after all we are a bunch of grown men essentially arguing over other men haha.

I just enjoy winding yous up sometimes! ;)

:trollface:

• Like 2

Â