Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

If we go to three in midfield against Brighton, it might make it difficult for him to make the bench (if we assume Gestede and McCormack get on there ahead of him) - I think that would be an interesting test of his delicate return to fitness - he has two enemies, the potential for a proper setback like an injury and the idea in his head that he's made it back and can relax. He's an interesting test for the manager.

Bruce must think in the short term

player -> GA -> Try him -> oh flick on = Goal -> ok -> on we go

Bruces long term thoughts & plans must take a back seat untill Jan window and beyond

The problem I see is

1 - come Jan-Feb ACON and the Word not yet removed is in the 1st 11 and we depend on him but he doesnt deliver it was a waste of time that could have been invested in RHM and/or Green.

2 - IF we get promoted this year, will he be good enough for 1 more season in PL or was  it again a waste of time that could have been invested in RHM and/or Green?

RHM and Green maybe our future, Gaby even with a return to some kind of form is and never will be the future.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Bruce must think in the short term

player -> GA -> Try him -> oh flick on = Goal -> ok -> on we go

Bruces long term thoughts & plans must take a back seat untill Jan window and beyond

The problem I see is

1 - come Jan-Feb ACON and the Word not yet removed is in the 1st 11 and we depend on him but he doesnt deliver it was a waste of time that could have been invested in RHM and/or Green.

2 - IF we get promoted this year, will he be good enough for 1 more season in PL or was  it again a waste of time that could have been invested in RHM and/or Green?

RHM and Green maybe our future, Gaby even with a return to some kind of form is and never will be the future.

So are we confident RHM and Green are going to come good? 

I know barely anything of them, so just curious.

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

So are we confident RHM and Green are going to come good? 

I know barely anything of them, so just curious.

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Bold

Both are young and have a longer shelf life than GA.

In the long term may prove to be a better investment of time

Edited by Grasshopper

14 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Bold

Both are young and have a longer shelf life than GA.

In the long term may prove to be a better investment of time

They may be our future. Time and experience will tell. However, we are in the Championship, making up for lost points, and trying to get ourselves back in the Premier League. We need to focus on now.

Bruce sees the players on a regular basis more than we do, so I will trust his decisions on who we should play up front. He has made the right calls so far, so I have a sneaking suspicion he might be ITK.

• Like 1

Jermone is one of the better strikers in this division but can't hack it in the PL. 

Gabby has proven when he wants it, he's a 'stable' PL striker. So in theory gabby should be able to tear this league up, IF HE WANTS IT. 

We're currently in a good postition that if he can't be arsed again, we have plenty of options that we don't need to rely on him ever again. Let him waste away. 

With ACON fast approaching we could have one of the better strikers in the league while we actually lose our best attackers. (We will miss them massively)

RHM is still unproven at any level. He will get his chance but he is more of a risk than a proven PL striker. 

Smart move by Bruce if you ask me.

Edited by Lord Willard
  • Like 3

Gabby's main threat is obviously his speed and if he is fit then he will frighten anyone in this league with their generally slower moving defences. He isn't a prolific goalscorer. Never has been, never will be. Doesn't have the footballing brain nor just the general quality needed in front of goal. However, Gabby can open spaces and get behind, he has the ability to win you the odd penalty, and of course he can hit the net occasionally. I definitely think he could run the channels and open spaces if fit, and that would naturally relieve some of the pressure on players like McCormack and Kodjia and would only help them to get goalscoring opportunities. 

If his hunger is back and he is fit and sharp then I've got no problem seeing him back on the pitch. This 'threat to Hepburn-Murphy development' argument for now is a red herring. We have to give ourselves the best possible chance to get points now. We're too far behind this season now to start experimenting with long term ideas. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I think you may be underestimating how highly Steve Bruce rates him Scott. Last two games he has come on in front of Gestede. When asked about Gabby yesterday Bruce said when he is fit he doesn't think there is a better striker in the Championship than Gabby. Now that may well just be clever management and a way of getting the best out of Gabby or it may be that Bruce rates him that highly.

For as poor as Gabby has been over the last few years he has before this season played his whole career in the top flight. The difference between the Championship and Premier League in terms of the ability you need to hold your own is big. It is probably why McCormack has never made the step up and Gestede really struggled.

I think Gabby when fit can probably more than hold his own with any forward in our squad bar Kodjia. In fact I would not be surprised if in training he has outshone most of them over the last couple of weeks which is why he has managed to fast track his way back into the match day squad.

If he continues to impress Bruce as he obviously has been then I think he will continue to make the match day squad and push one of the other forwards out of it. In fact I would not now be in the least bit surprised to see him start a game very soon and if Kodjia is out that may even be Brighton especially on the back of two weeks more training. Quite the turnaround as 4 weeks ago I thought we would never see him again.

Well if it's not Bruce trying to be clever- then trust me- we have some very hard times in front us - because if he genuinely believes that, we're in trouble

28 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Well if it's not Bruce trying to be clever- then trust me- we have some very hard times in front us - because if he genuinely believes that, we're in trouble

Massive hyperbole. You were saying the same things when he was performing well, scoring goals and we were winning games. 

23 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Massive hyperbole. You were saying the same things when he was performing well, scoring goals and we were winning games. 

Oh really Doug- and remind me just how long are you wanting to go back - to when this was happening ? 

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

People have short memories. Gabby scored goals against every top team in the Premier League. A fit Gabby would be one of the best strikers in the Championship. No doubt about it. I just can't remember the last time he was fit. 

Oh your bang on the money - people have short memories allright - ask Westwood I'm pretty sure he'll be thinking the same thing

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

GIVEUP.jpg

:trollface:

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Â