Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

Yeah cuz someone who buys players like Sanchez, Van persie, Giroud - would really want Gabby. Now stop trying to wind us up- I actually saw through this month's ago JV - but like you I enjoy the banter- the truth is you can't really rate him can you?

They also bought Francis Jeffers, Gervinho, Senderos Chamakh etc.B)

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

They also bought Francis Jeffers, Gervinho, Senderos Chamakh etc.B)

And of course they all racked up so many appearances between them didn't they- Gabby would have played about the same number- please JV- Gabby at Arsenal! Your going to have to try just that little bit harder if you want anyone to buy this nonsense! I can remember when we were going to buy Lineker- can you?

4 minutes ago, Dave J said:

And of course they all racked up so many appearances between them didn't they- Gabby would have played about the same number- please JV- Gabby at Arsenal! Your going to have to try just that little bit harder if you want anyone to buy this nonsense! I can remember when we were going to buy Lineker- can you?

The point was less aimed at it actually happening, and more at nullifying the unsubstantiated BS stating that he only stayed here because nobody wanted him. He was highly valued at one point, and has never wanted to go anywhere.

• Like 1

After MON left, Villa stopped playing counter attacking football, and changed their style to slow build up using strikers as target men. Gabby's form and goals take a hit.

Connection or coincidence?

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The point was less aimed at it actually happening, and more at nullifying the unsubstantiated BS stating that he only stayed here because nobody wanted him. He was highly valued at one point, and has never wanted to go anywhere.

No - I'm sorry JV but i believe you are wrong on this.

3 hours ago, Dave J said:

Yeah cuz someone who buys players like Sanchez, Van persie, Giroud - would really want Gabby. Now stop trying to wind us up- I actually saw through this month's ago JV - but like you I enjoy the banter- the truth is you can't really rate him can you?

I remember this Gabby to Arsenal rumour, he was strongly linked back then when he was on the edge of the England squad too. 

What a fall from grace eh.

Seems he had a good outing for under 23'shttp://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/aston-villa-scouting-report-gabby-12106990?

Buoyed by his final chance in Aston Villa colours, Gabby Agbonlahor continued his comeback mission with a decent display for the U23s tonight.

The 30-year-old showed encouraging signs with an energetic performance up front alongside Rushian Hepburn-Murphy but he’s still searching for that morale-boosting goal.

If there was any criticism for the club’s longest-serving player, it was that he needs to find more openings for himself, especially if he wants to remain in Steve Bruce’s thoughts.

The manager was at the Banks’ Stadium watching on and would have been pleased with what he witnessed even though there was no goal for a second successive U23s match for the striker.

It was Agbonlahor’s cross that set up Hepburn-Murphy for the second goal of the night, though, and he created other opportunities for his team-mates, too.

After 65 minutes of action he was withdrawn, shirt soaked with sweat, and a step closer towards repairing the relationship with the claret and blue faithful.

The 50-or-so supporters who turned up to watch him against Blackburn Rovers in the 4-0 win appreciated his efforts and gave him a standing ovation as he left the field.

They witnessed an unfamiliar playing style as he was tasked with winning flick-ons and headers for Hepburn-Murphy to latch onto.

Back in the day the roles were reversed. It was Agbonlahor who used to use his pace to devastating effect when playing alongside big men like John Carew and Emile Heskey.

But credit to the forward. He provided an outlet up front as Matija Sarkic frequently kicked long from goal-kicks.

There was the odd burst of pace and at times he looked like his old-self.

But there’s still a way to go before he’s back to his best and Bruce has already admitted it’s all down to him now to show what he’s made of.

10 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

He played well in 2 of his 3 games. Everyone was poor against Spain.

Don't let facts get in the way of things, not what this thread is about

:trollface:

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

05-06 season: 1 goal in 9 games =  11% goalscoring record

06-07 season: 10 goals in 42 games = 24% goalscoring record

07-08 season: 11 goals in 40 games = 26% goalscoring record

08-09 season: 12 goals in 48 games = 25% goalscoring record

09-10 season: 16 goals in 46 games = 34% goalscoring record

10-11 season: 5 goals in 32 games = 15% goalscoring record

11-12 season: 6 goals in 36 games = 16% goalscoring record

12-13 season: 12 goals in 33 games = 36% goalscoring record

13-14 season: 4 goals in 31 games = 12% goalscoring record

14-15 season: 6 goals in 36 games = 16% goalscoring record

15-16 season: 1 goal in 18 games = 5% goalscoring record

Clear to see when MON left his form dropped heavily... and in the 12/13 season he had Benteke next to him.

Under right management, I think he has always been a decent player, so maybe Bruce will be able to get the best out of him. (not that we need him IMO, we already have McCormack Kodjia Gestede Ayew... and Kozak) 

Â