Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Maybe he'll respond to Bruce's arm round the shoulder approach. MON thought the world of him and Gabby responded for most of his reign and Lambert got a bit out of him for 6 months.

Other managers take the hardline approach and he doesn't want to know.

Regardless we're stuck with him and he'll be playing for us again I think so will be a lively thread yet again this one.

Well, I have seen people say Bruce is a great man manager. I agree with you, and for all the cut off nose to spit face hate, people need to realise there is a great potential asset there especially with AFCON in mind.

Gaby is like an old turd thats grown a crust. Just because the turd doesnt smell anymore people tend to think that under surface the shit has desolved.

But once you scratch that surface away the same old smelly shit returns no better and no different.

A turd is only gone when flushed

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well, I have seen people say Bruce is a great man manager. I agree with you, and for all the cut off nose to spit face hate, people need to realise there is a great potential asset there especially with AFCON in mind.

You are right on one point JV - the AFCON may well see him return to the squad. As for the " potential great assest" with the very greatest of respect - you are only fooling yourself. IMO

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Gaby is like an old turd thats grown a crust. Just because the turd doesnt smell anymore people tend to think that under surface the shit has desolved.

But once you scratch that surface away the same old smelly shit returns no better and no different.

Like a skid mark on the underpants of society. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Cut nose off to spite face??????? Really?????? If he was a top top player then maybe I would grudgingly agree that we may have to use him, but he isn't - even at his prime there was massive debate about whether he was any good or not.

Do you not get that this guy does not DESERVE another chance. He really does not. There are other players at the club that deserve a chance FAR more than he does and will likely do as good if not better a job. After all, it is not difficult to run around like a headless chicken for five minutes then stand there hands on hips puffing and blowing and looking disinterested.

There is not an asset in there, there really isn't. Maybe 5 years ago you could have argued that there may be, but there isn't anymore. He had very little football skill to start with, I doubt his new exercise bike has improved that.

We have put a lot of effort into removing the malaise and attitude problems from this club and you think we should invite one of the main culprits back with open arms just because he was good (arguable - fast, yes, good - debatable) 5 years ago? He cant and wont do a job for us. Once he feels that he is back "in" he will revert to type, his sort always do. He has NOT ONE redeeming feature. NOT ONE.

Would rather Xia and Bruce bought or loaned someone in Jan.

Ultimately there has to be some responsibility in society and having him back sends the message that you can do whatever the **** you like and there are no consequences. We cannot be so desperate and panicked that we accept this sack of shit back into the fold. NO NO NO NO NO.

• Like 2

I think whether you think he should get another chance comes down to a couple of things really.

Firstly whether you believe he has ever had any ability. Personally I don’t think you can play 10 years in the top flight predominantly as a wide forward and score 80 odd goals unless you have a fair amount of ability especially when you were a fixture in a side that was finishing top 6 for three seasons.

Then it comes down to whether he is still capable of offering us anything even at a level below where he has always played. At just 30 years old then he certainly should be but the fact that one of the major issues with him currently seems to be fitness is a disgrace and for that Gabby should be ashamed.

If as appears to be the case he can get himself back into shape and the current manager believes he can get something out of him then I have zero issue with him being given another chance. This isn’t a great level we are currently playing at and there are forwards with much less ability than Agbonlahor being effective in this league. It is all about him being fit and having the desire to want to make a positive contribution. He certainly now has a manager who is allowing him an opportunity who almost certainly has the man management skills to get something out of him. The rest is up to Gabby.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

He will be traveling with the team on the bus this Sunday anyway after telling the manager he wants to be involved, however I do not think he will play - but definitely will be present.

Steve Bruce:    "I put him on a programme when I walked through the door of how he can be in better shape. I don’t think I will waiver from that.

He came in on Wednesday and said he wanted to travel with us so that shows good signs from him. 

He is a good player who has played at the top level all his life and scored goals. 

It might be a bit early for him but he will be with us."

Here

Edited by AvfcRigo82

With ACON coming in January where we lose 3 strikers/wingers, it's not going to hurt for SB to put a arm round Gabby. 

If fit, he would be an okay option to have on the bench. Gestede can't play 90 minutes and it'll be a lot of pressure on youngsters to score goals for us. 

It's been mentioned we'll get a striker on loan in the January transfer window, but I can't imagine they'll be any better than a fit Gabby. (If SB can achieve that).  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, picicata said:

Ahhhhh... English you art a language of expressive nuances and endless beauty, how I love thee.

My extra year at Uni studying English Lit was worth more than a years supply of Kebabs

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

All that twisting, turning and jostling will be sure to break some of the "crust" you speak of, so if it really stinks as you allude to, we are lucky the manager is in closest proximity to smell it.

Then again, I just had another look at Bruces nose.:ph34r:

42 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I'd prefer we focus on the future and let Hepburn-Murphy take his place. At least we know his best years are ahead of him and he seems to have a great attitude. 

Oh ok, because we have all the time in the world to experiment in the championship yeah? We aiming to spend a season or 3 till the "future" matures?

2 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

Cut nose off to spite face??????? Really?????? If he was a top top player then maybe I would grudgingly agree that we may have to use him, but he isn't - even at his prime there was massive debate about whether he was any good or not.

Do you not get that this guy does not DESERVE another chance. He really does not. There are other players at the club that deserve a chance FAR more than he does and will likely do as good if not better a job. After all, it is not difficult to run around like a headless chicken for five minutes then stand there hands on hips puffing and blowing and looking disinterested.

There is not an asset in there, there really isn't. Maybe 5 years ago you could have argued that there may be, but there isn't anymore. He had very little football skill to start with, I doubt his new exercise bike has improved that.

We have put a lot of effort into removing the malaise and attitude problems from this club and you think we should invite one of the main culprits back with open arms just because he was good (arguable - fast, yes, good - debatable) 5 years ago? He cant and wont do a job for us. Once he feels that he is back "in" he will revert to type, his sort always do. He has NOT ONE redeeming feature. NOT ONE.

Would rather Xia and Bruce bought or loaned someone in Jan.

Ultimately there has to be some responsibility in society and having him back sends the message that you can do whatever the **** you like and there are no consequences. We cannot be so desperate and panicked that we accept this sack of shit back into the fold. NO NO NO NO NO.

Well the manager seems to think different, and is more qualified than you to make such bold proclamations, end of.

The things he has said regarding the issue are simply common sense, even disregarding "sentiment".

Going in roundabout circles, would be saying that ONE redeeming feature is that he is still our record goalscorer who while people are quick to point out has been "an integral part of our demise" and "everything wrong with this football club", conveniently forget he was also an integral part of our "rise" in the same breath.

55 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I'd prefer we focus on the future and let Hepburn-Murphy take his place. At least we know his best years are ahead of him and he seems to have a great attitude. 

Agree.  What sort of message is it going to give to the youngsters on the fringes if they see Gabby not giving a shit for ages, flabbing up and then still given yet another chance ahead of them.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Oh ok, because we have all the time in the world to experiment in the championship yeah? We aiming to spend a season or 3 till the "future" matures?

When I say 'Gabby's place', I mean as squad back up. I don't anticipate him making the grade and becoming our number one striker. I'd prefer RHM to get the experience in and around the squad, a bit of game time when we're winning etc... it would aid his development, he'd be a good option off the bench sort of thing. 

Just for some balance though JV, I'm actually not that anti Gabby. I defended him a lot in his best years, and I respect everything he did for us back then. It's such a long time ago now, he's had so many chances and I don't think he will ever get back to his best. 

I wouldn't boo him if he came on, as I won't boo any player in a villa shirt. I also trust Bruce's decision, he'll only play if he deserves to through sheer hard work AND actually being a useful footballer. The ball is still in Gabby' court over that.

But yeah, I'd still pick Rushian. 

• Like 2

Â