Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

On 10/28/2016 at 16:14, Czechlad said:

I'd rather see Hepburn-Murphey get any minutes Gabby might.

Apparently RHM said to Steve Bruce that he wanted to replace Gabby.

But Steve didn't want him to sit on his sofa at home eating kebabs and snapchatting slappers.

:-) Gets ready for the Gabby lovers backlash. :trollface:

Edited by TheStagMan

47 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

For me it's not so much whether he deserves a 2nd (3rd, 4th, ...) chance or not. As someone already said, we have to remember that this is the world of football, a far cry from the real World.

With that in mind, look at what we have here; a player, contracted to us, earning an obscene amount of money that they can continue to earn for doing virtually nothing but show up for training a few times a week, who has absolutely no sell-on value. At the very least, we should be making the player work hard and be in the condition that they are required to be. If that requires the manager to offer some words of encouragement that he has a clean slate then so be it.

Then, if, and this is a huge IF, that player is in shape and form and is needed to be called upon, through injuries or AFCON etc., then the club will have one of its "assets" available. And IF that situation occurs then just maybe, and this is a huge MAYBE, that player can actually do a decent job at this level and help this club achieve its aims. Wouldn't that be in our best interests?

Too much common sense in this post. I can't take it.

Can we get back to posts about Gabby eating all the pies, shagging random women and being thick please?

B)

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

I have never been a fan of Gabby's footballing skills.....and I accept the criticism of him.

However, "Hate" is a burden, we can all do without.....its an albatross around your neck.

He has never picked himself and he is what he is.

Lets forgive, even if we can't forget.....and lets see where his fitness project takes him.

We must raise the spirit within the club, abandon bomb squads and work towards a united front....."all for one and one for all"

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

For those that have never rated him/don't rate him now/don't like him/can't stand him etc then I think there is nothing for you to worry about here as long as you have belief that we have a manager who knows what he is doing.

Kodjia, Gestede, McCormack, Ayew, RHM are all currently in front of him. For him to get any game time the manager would have to think he can do a better job than them. We of course lose a couple of them in January so before then he would also have had to show that he can do a better job than any short term fix that Bruce can identify in the mean time.

This isn't like over the past 3 or 4 years when you could argue Gabby got plenty of game time as we had very few other options. To get into this side as a forward he will need to be outshining a numbers of others. I rate Bruce highly so if he thinks based on what Gabby does in training/for the under 23's warrants some first team game time then that is good enough for me.

For what it is worth I would still be very surprised if he finds his way back into the match day squad but I am obviously happy to be proved wrong because if he can be considered a better option than the handful of other options we have then that has to be good for us.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

For those that have never rated him/don't rate him now/don't like him/can't stand him etc then I think there is nothing for you to worry about here as long as you have belief that we have a manager who knows what he is doing.

Kodjia, Gestede, McCormack, Ayew, RHM are all currently in front of him. For him to get any game time the manager would have to think he can do a better job than them. We of course lose a couple of them in January so before then he would also have had to show that he can do a better job than any short term fix that Bruce can identify in the mean time.

This isn't like over the past 3 or 4 years when you could argue Gabby got plenty of game time as we had very few other options. To get into this side as a forward he will need to be outshining a numbers of others. I rate Bruce highly so if he thinks based on what Gabby does in training/for the under 23's warrants some first team game time then that is good enough for me.

For what it is worth I would still be very surprised if he finds his way back into the match day squad but I am obviously happy to be proved wrong because if he can be considered a better option than the handful of other options we have then that has to be good for us.

as you know Mark in terms of his playing ability, I have always been dubious....That does not however mean, I dislike him.

Someone close to me knows him and said he is a good lad at heart....I can't comment myself, because I don't know him.

People have their own opinions and fine.

I have been disappointed in how he has conducted himself but equally I have been disappointed in how he has been managed him, up to now.

I genuinely don't know if we are flogging a dead horse, but I will leave SB to be the judge of that.

I can only imagine what it must have been like at BMH over the last few years, the frustration, gloom, chinese whispers, cliques, etc.....can't have been easy to motivate yourself, despite the huge salaries.( thats something they just get used to....right or wrong)

Lets hope he takes his chance and we all benefit.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

For what it is worth I would still be very surprised if he finds his way back into the match day squad but I am obviously happy to be proved wrong because if he can be considered a better option than the handful of other options we haave then that has to be good for us.

Spot on. 

I think Gabby's professionalism has been questionable for a number of years now. The alleged disrespect and defiance towards Houllier. The ott personal weights program that seemed more about vanity than any attempt to improve his effectiveness on the pitch. The numerous times he was unavailable due to "illness." The seemingly couldn't care less persona on the pitch and, as we saw last season, off it.

The last straw for me was his refusal of a loan move to Reading, one more two-fingered salute to the owner, manager and fans of the club. He was presented with the option of showing everybody that, actually, "yes, I do care about the club, it does mean something to me being a Villa player, and I'll work to get back in the squad." His preferred option was to sit on his ass and not bother. He hasn't bothered to such an extent that, almost 3 months into the season, he's put on a 6 WEEK fitness program just so he can be considered for first team action.

Putting aside all nonsense about "personal circumstances" I ask his apologists and defenders, "how do you defend this?"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SidSidSidSid said:

I think Gabby's professionalism has been questionable for a number of years now. The alleged disrespect and defiance towards Houllier. The ott personal weights program that seemed more about vanity than any attempt to improve his effectiveness on the pitch. The numerous times he was unavailable due to "illness." The seemingly couldn't care less persona on the pitch and, as we saw last season, off it.

The last straw for me was his refusal of a loan move to Reading, one more two-fingered salute to the owner, manager and fans of the club. He was presented with the option of showing everybody that, actually, "yes, I do care about the club, it does mean something to me being a Villa player, and I'll work to get back in the squad." His preferred option was to sit on his ass and not bother. He hasn't bothered to such an extent that, almost 3 months into the season, he's put on a 6 WEEK fitness program just so he can be considered for first team action.

Putting aside all nonsense about "personal circumstances" I ask his apologists and defenders, "how do you defend this?"

Spot on.

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Too much common sense in this post. I can't take it.

Can we get back to posts about Gabby eating all the pies, shagging random women and being thick please?

B)

No- I prefer just to keep things on a footballing ability theme only- and quite frankly in my opinion he's not good enough.

the debate should start and end on this- nothing more.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SidSidSidSid said:

You can't defend much of that and I don't think anyone has tried to. His attitude last season was a disgrace as is/was him being out of shape and for both those things he should be ashamed of himself.

As you say the alleged disrespect towards Houllier was just that alleged and towards the end of that season he was in the team and had an impact in dragging us away from the arse end of the table. 

As for his refusal to go to Reading can you really hold that against him? he has another two years to run here on a contract the club willingly gave him. He doesn't have to go anywhere and maybe he simply felt Reading was not the right club for him or spoke to their manager and didn't like his ideas for him. Or maybe he simply didn't fancy moving a couple of hours away. None of us know his reasoning and using it as a stick to beat him with is futile.

You can choose to look back to the past as much as you like. You go far enough back and you will find he was a more than decent player for us. This going round in circles is all pointless though isn't it and I see little reason in looking back certainly not at a time when the club is all about moving forwards. Bacuna has come back from the brink and is at present proving to be a useful asset for us. Richards may yet do the same. If, and it is still a huge if for me, Gabby impresses Bruce enough to warrant some game time above others he is competing for a place with then great as we have a player that will have pushed one of Kodjia, Gestede, Ayew, McCormack or RHM down the pegging order and given us more competition for a place. That is always a healthy situation and would hopefully spur others on.

I don't see how there can be any downside to him apparently now knuckling down and getting fit and there is certainly nothing to fear about him impressing the manager enough to warrant some game time.

Bottom line for me is that the time for using the past as a means to beat those at the club with has gone so long as they do all they can now to help right those past wrongs and that includes Gabby.
Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

During the MON days, Gabby was used heavily in a counter attacking role, and that is where most of his goals came from. When O'Neil left, particularly during the Lambert period, Villa no longer played a counter attacking game, but used slow build up with crosses into the box. If any players were gifted with speed, it became an unutilised talent. Gabby was never a target man, like, say, Benteke. Instead of running on to through balls, he had to park in the box, wait for an accurate cross, and get the ball past 3 defenders and a goalkeeper. Having to change his playing style from what he knows and does well would effect his form and goal tally more than anything else.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

As for his refusal to go to Reading can you really hold that against him? he has another two years to run here on a contract the club willingly gave him. He doesn't have to go anywhere and maybe he simply felt Reading was not the right club for him or spoke to their manager and didn't like his ideas for him. Or maybe he simply didn't fancy moving a couple of hours away. None of us know his reasoning and using it as a stick to beat him with is futile.

Yes. Yes I personally CAN hold that against him. "Not the right club for him?"..."Didn't fancy moving a couple of hours away?" It was the ONLY option he had at that time to continue playing, and maybe rescue his career at his beloved Villa. Make excuses for him all you want but the bottom line is....he couldn't be bothered!

This going round in circles is all pointless though isn't it and I see little reason in looking back certainly not at a time when the club is all about moving forwards.

I'm not going round in circles, you've just replied to my first post in this thread.I won't be making countless others because, just like Gabby, I can't be bothered!  I'm looking back because the past informs your opinion on something. The club was all about moving forwards in the Summer, too. Gabby...you've guessed it....couldn't be bothered! 

Bacuna has come back from the brink and is at present proving to be a useful asset for us. Richards may yet do the same. If, and it is still a huge if for me, Gabby impresses Bruce enough to warrant some game time above others he is competing for a place with then great as we have a player that will have pushed one of Kodjia, Gestede, Ayew, McCormack or RHM down the pegging order and given us more competition for a place. That is always a healthy situation and would hopefully spur others on.

I've never had an issue with Bacuna, so leave me out of that one! Richards, meh, on his way down imo, and thinks he's better than what he is. Also proved divisive in the dressing room last season. He'll play if we have an injury crisis and hopefully get moved on soon. Gabby might somehow be deemed good enough for the bench when Ayew and Kodjia are away, might even get a few minutes here and there. He won't be pushing anyone down the pecking order without a seismic change in attitude and ability. I don't think he has the desire or wherewithal for resurrection. 

Bottom line for me is that the time for using the past as a means to beat those at the club with has gone so long as they do all they can now to help right those past wrongs and that includes Gabby.

You keep using this "beating" phrase. I'm not beating anyone with a stick or anything else. I'm giving my opinion. I'll also opine that Gabby will NOT right his wrongs in any meaningful way. Now, you give me YOUR opinion on how you see this "comeback" panning out. I'd love to hear it. 

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

You can't defend much of that and I don't think anyone has tried to. His attitude last season was a disgrace as is/was him being out of shape and for both those things he should be ashamed of himself.

As you say the alleged disrespect towards Houllier was just that alleged and towards the end of that season he was in the team and had an impact in dragging us away from the arse end of the table. 

You can choose to look back to the past as much as you like. You go far enough back and you will find he was a more than decent player for us. This going round in circles is all pointless though isn't it and I see little reason in looking back certainly not at a time when the club is all about moving forwards. Bacuna has come back from the brink and is at present proving to be a useful asset for us. Richards may yet do the same. If, and it is still a huge if for me, Gabby impresses Bruce enough to warrant some game time above others he is competing for a place with then great as we have a player that will have pushed one of Kodjia, Gestede, Ayew, McCormack or RHM down the pegging order and given us more competition for a place. That is always a healthy situation and would hopefully spur others on.

I don't see how there can be any downside to him apparently now knuckling down and getting fit and there is certainly nothing to fear about him impressing the manager enough to warrant some game time.

Gabby will never leave Aston Villa until he has to....He is a homebird.....for whatever reasons.

I am not using that in his favour or against him.....thats just him.

He hasn't covered himself in glory in the past few years, we ALL know that.....but why the clamour for retribution?....where is it going to get us?

Let Steve Bruce handle it.

If he does make it and proves to be an asset, we can put it all down to us having an open mind.

Ps I think Tony is just being influenced by the fans reaction to him,anxious to please us......Let Steve deal with it and I for one will go with that.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, TRO said:

Gabby will never leave Aston Villa until he has to....He is a homebird.....for whatever reasons.

I am not using that in his favour or against him.....thats just him.

He hasn't covered himself in glory in the past few years, we ALL know that.....but why the clamour for retribution?....where is it going to get us?

Let Steve Bruce handle it.

If he does make it and proves to be an asset, we can put it all down to us having an open mind.

Ps I think Tony is just being influenced by the fans reaction to him,anxious to please us......Let Steve deal with it and I for one will go with that.

Its not retribution. We just want him to go away. Don't want anything bad to happen to him. Don't really care where he goes or what he does. As long as it is not here.  

Don't believe he can add anything, in fact believe that with his baggage he can bring negatives to the party, and is not good enough to negate that. Want him to go away so that the club can move forward in a positive manner. We have done 90% of the job of removing the stench of old, just need to finish clearing up the last 10% and continue to move forward.

Not don't look back in anger, just "dont look back"

• Like 2

Â