Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

1 hour ago, SidSidSidSid said:

Now, you give me YOUR opinion on how you see this "comeback" panning out. I'd love to hear it. 

I already have on numerous occasions and stated that I think it is unlikely that he will force his way in front of those currently in front him. I have actually said I think he is done here. I am more than happy to be proved wrong though. I get the impression, maybe wrongly, that others won't be so happy if he does indeed impress Bruce and force his way back into the mix.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TRO said:

He hasn't covered himself in glory in the past few years, we ALL know that.....but why the clamour for retribution?....where is it going to get us?

Let Steve Bruce handle it.

If he does make it and proves to be an asset, we can put it all down to us having an open mind.

Ps I think Tony is just being influenced by the fans reaction to him,anxious to please us......Let Steve deal with it and I for one will go with that.

I know you are not and have never really been a big fan of his mate which makes a post like this even more commendable.

As you say lets put some faith in the manager and that he knows what he is doing. Gabby will have to really go some to force his way into contention and whilst I don't think he will if he does then we will have another player who can make a positive contribution for us which could only be a good thing.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

Thanks, I will. Give any of our current strikers 10 years with the club and they will beat that tally. Its a poor record for the "main man" and as much as the Gabby lovers want to use this as an example of how great he is, it is not great. It is a very poor return. It says more about how we are unable to hold onto decent players than it says about Gabby as a striker

You can talk it up as much as you like, the fact is, it is a piss poor return for someone who has been an attacking player for over 10 years.

I think it's a damning indictment on the club that our top PL goal scorer has just 70+ goals considering we were in the PL for all bar one season. That saying I'm still thankful of the goals, and no matter how you try and dismiss his contribution it'll be a long time till it's bettered. 70+ league goals is never to be sniffed at, but if it makes you feel better about yourself who am I to argue. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

Its not retribution. We just want him to go away. Don't want anything bad to happen to him. Don't really care where he goes or what he does. As long as it is not here.  

Don't believe he can add anything, in fact believe that with his baggage he can bring negatives to the party, and is not good enough to negate that. Want him to go away so that the club can move forward in a positive manner. We have done 90% of the job of removing the stench of old, just need to finish clearing up the last 10% and continue to move forward.

Not don't look back in anger, just "dont look back"

Well said- I just wish the Gabby supporters  would take heed of what you say here.

• Like 1

Rather than forming an opinion on the snippets of information we get, I think somehow if Gabby was able to express his view, it might prove to be quite insightful. There are some gaps of information there. I wont hold out for his book though. He is a footballer after all. Probably thinks grammar is his Dad's mum, and context is what prisoners do with cell phones.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AJ said:

Rather than forming an opinion on the snippets of information we get, I think somehow if Gabby was able to express his view, it might prove to be quite insightful. 

I spot a flaw in your plan buddy. 

:thumb:

I remember seeing him in an interview a few years ago, when he was asked about his relationship with his Mum. He didn't come across as the sharpest dart. Extremely, very highly unlikely to get an autobiography, or an interview longer than a minute. Not an interesting / evil enough person like Roy Keane or Joey Barton, or as well known as Rooney. The vast majority of people don't care, let alone know who Agbonlahor is. Ask a random American, and they probably think its a strain of Zika virus. However, I myself would be quite curious of his view on several things that happened in his career.

I think using his lucrative contract as a stick to beat him with.....is just our frustration rather than reasoned logic.

He did not break in on a sunday morning type up a new contract ....signed it and left it in the wages office.

Senior Staff at the club, offered it.

what he has done to help our footballing cause is another argument and one which i have more empathy with.....However, i would like to hear his side of the story.

I just struggle with the view that some players don't want to do well.They all want to do well.....but may be issues of some sort,get in the way.

• Like 2

It would not surprise me if Gabby gets a cameo role today.

I am not saying he should, i just think SB has the notion that Gabby has the "indian sign" over them.

I am just unsure of his fitness level, only the gaffer will know whether its s risk worth taking.

11 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

*** GROUP HUG ***

We are all Villa fans and we all want what's best for Villa. Even if We can't agree what it is.

:)

That will always be the case.....and just because we disagree, it can still mean mean  there are elements we do agree on.

Edited by TRO

11 hours ago, avfc1982 said:

I think it's a damning indictment on the club that our top PL goal scorer has just 70+ goals considering we were in the PL for all bar one season. That saying I'm still thankful of the goals, and no matter how you try and dismiss his contribution it'll be a long time till it's bettered. 70+ league goals is never to be sniffed at, but if it makes you feel better about yourself who am I to argue. 

*sigh* doesn't make me feel better about myself at all. Makes me feel sad for our beloved club.

13 hours ago, TRO said:

I just struggle with the view that some players don't want to do well.They all want to do well.....but may be issues of some sort,get in the way.

N'Zogbia says hello. :D

Yeah, I went there!

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I have a feeling he will be on bench wonder what odds you get for gabby to get winner?

Hopefully by the time 'If GA' where to see any game time today.. we would already have the game won and dusted at that point!  ;)

Relying on a player who has not kicked a ball for the club for god knows how long should now be classed as our 2nd city savior!  I have read it all now!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I think using his lucrative contract as a stick to beat him with.....is just our frustration rather than reasoned logic.

He did not break in on a sunday morning type up a new contract ....signed it and left it in the wages office.

Senior Staff at the club, offered it.

what he has done to help our footballing cause is another argument and one which i have more empathy with.....However, i would like to hear his side of the story.

I'll tell you what gets in the way of most professional sports men and women - the other half and parenthood. 

I remember the days when I loved watching snooker but got bored of it because Steve Davis won everything. He got married, became a Dad and then starting being beatable. Along comes young Stephen Hendry who too becomes unbeatable. A marriage and fatherhood later and he becomes beatable. 

Look at the relationship problems Gabby Agbonlahor has had, together with how many children he's fathered - including having a sick child - and you can see why his career halted and went backwards. Too many off-the-field problems have led to him not fulfilling his potential. And, before people say he's always been bang average, please remember that top defenders of his time have commented how they hated playing against him. 

I am not too sure what happened with his child that was sick but, I recall Juan Pablo Angel's first season being pretty poor and that being mostly put down to the fact his son was seriously ill. These things would affect any person's life, regardless of profession. 

I'm not defending the guy, just saying. Let's face it, he chose to bed the girls and not take precautions!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, villarocker said:

I'll tell you what gets in the way of most professional sports men and women - the other half and parenthood. 

I remember the days when I loved watching snooker but got bored of it because Steve Davis won everything. He got married, became a Dad and then starting being beatable. Along comes young Stephen Hendry who too becomes unbeatable. A marriage and fatherhood later and he becomes beatable. 

Look at the relationship problems Gabby Agbonlahor has had, together with how many children he's fathered - including having a sick child - and you can see why his career halted and went backwards. Too many off-the-field problems have led to him not fulfilling his potential. And, before people say he's always been bang average, please remember that top defenders of his time have commented how they hated playing against him. 

I am not too sure what happened with his child that was sick but, I recall Juan Pablo Angel's first season being pretty poor and that being mostly put down to the fact his son was seriously ill. These things would affect any person's life, regardless of profession. 

I'm not defending the guy, just saying. Let's face it, he chose to bed the girls and not take precautions!

It's a fair point, I think this was a major reason we didn't see the best if Vertout last season along with new country, language and poor manager. 

Edited by honest_bertie

Â