Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

3 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

Not the end of at all, I have watched him for over 10 years, and apart from a couple of seasons early on have never seen anything in him that warrants anything like the support he gets. Bruce has been on the receiving end of him when he was fired up and performing, and seems to think that somehow that Gabby is still in there. On the other hand, I think that SB knows he is shit, and will never play him but probably has to say some of these things. 

Gabby is only our leading goalscorer because he has been here for so long (and no one else wanted him). His goal tallies per season as our "main man" are pathetic, and one of the reasons we are where we are.  A better Main man.......who knows where we might be. And don't give me this guff about playing on the wing. Young scored lots from the wing, and I'm sure Ayew will as well. 

No, he's our leading PL goalscorer because he's scored more PL goals than any other player we've ever employed. You can try and talk it down as much as you like but it won't change that fact. 

2 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

I have watched him for over 10 years, and apart from a couple of seasons early on have never seen anything in him that warrants anything like the support he gets.

Myself and others have watched him for the same amount of time, and haven't seen anything to warrant the over the top abuse he gets.

Bruce has been on the receiving end of him when he was fired up and performing, and seems to think that somehow that Gabby is still in there. On the other hand, I think that SB knows he is shit, and will never play him but probably has to say some of these things. 

Or he actually means what he said (regardless of if proved justified or not), and these are the fantasies your petty past the game of football vendetta hopes and dreams are made of?

Gabby is only our leading goalscorer because he has been here for so long (and no one else wanted him). His goal tallies per season as our "main man" are pathetic, and one of the reasons we are where we are.  A better Main man.......who knows where we might be. And don't give me this guff about playing on the wing. Young scored lots from the wing, and I'm sure Ayew will as well.

No, the back and forth debate over this is pathetic, teams DID want him, and he was held in high esteem and feared by most teams in the league at one point. Rooney is probably Englands leading scorer only because he started playing for them so young too. :rolleyes:. It is an achievement which unfortunately cannot be downplayed as you would love it to be in the grand scheme of things by ANY standard.

Either way I am done with this nonsense, literally groundhog day. I can;t be bothered pointing out all the balanced and non biased statements I have made over the course of this thread because it is pointless. Pretty much any one who even tries to FACTUALLY point out arguments which counteract some of this bollox get shot down hence they can't even be arsed posting anymore.

The manager will choose either way!

• Like 2

There is another angle to this too, which I haven't seen anyone say or consider. If it is the wish of the club to move him on, they failed to do that in the last window. With each transfer window passing...Player on a big contract, getting zero game time, might become harder and harder to move him on. To keep him on the fringe of the squad with the opportunity for him to get minutes here and there, slightly raises his stock. Slightly. Means his agent has more to work with in getting clubs interested. Slightly.

He himself, knows that he can either sit in a bomb squad until his contract runs out, or at 30, move on and get playing somewhere else. With the wages he is on, he has a lot of convincing to do for another team to take him on. Sure, we would probably subsidise with wage contributions. But there's that side of it, even if he is scum to you, it might be necessary to have him in and around the place more to successfully move him on IF that's what the club intends.

of course, it's not great when (or if) business decisions factor into footballing matters as above, but an industry this is, and Gabby is a commodity that is costing the company a lot in upkeep with zero return. With a business hat on, you either increase productivity and output with that asset (play him and see if a man playing for his career actually plays well) or..... Make moves with a view to selling (as above).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, avfc1982 said:

No, he's our leading PL goalscorer because he's scored more PL goals than any other player we've ever employed. You can try and talk it down as much as you like but it won't change that fact. 

Thanks, I will. Give any of our current strikers 10 years with the club and they will beat that tally. Its a poor record for the "main man" and as much as the Gabby lovers want to use this as an example of how great he is, it is not great. It is a very poor return. It says more about how we are unable to hold onto decent players than it says about Gabby as a striker

You can talk it up as much as you like, the fact is, it is a piss poor return for someone who has been an attacking player for over 10 years.

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Myself and others have watched him for the same amount of time, and haven't seen anything to warrant the over the top abuse he gets.

You must have had your eyes shut for the last five years then. Particularly last season, or do you think his behaviour is acceptable?

I have not wished ill on him, yes I have called him names (awwwww, diddums!) but all I have said is that I dont want him in, near or playing for our club ever again. 

Or he actually means what he said (regardless of if proved justified or not), and these are the fantasies your petty past the game of football vendetta hopes and dreams are made of?

I literally have no idea what you are on about. maybe you need to get out of your Gabby shrine more often and open your eyes, but hey, lets not get personal eh? 

And by the way, it is not petty to dislike someone who has shit on this club and taken the piss out of its fans so blatantly.

No, the back and forth debate over this is pathetic, teams DID want him, and he was held in high esteem and feared by most teams in the league at one point. Rooney is probably Englands leading scorer only because he started playing for them so young too. It is an achievement which unfortunately cannot be downplayed as you would love it to be in the grand scheme of things by ANY standard.

Really? Who? When? show me some links about serious interest?  He was feared because he was fast and playing in a good team. Comparing him to Rooney is just laughable. 

It can be downplayed. Titus Bramble scored roughly the same number of goals per season averaged over his career. In any case, the goals he scored five years ago o not excuse the behaviour from last year and do not suddenly make him a star man who will rescue us.

Either way I am done with this nonsense, literally groundhog day. I can;t be bothered pointing out all the balanced and non biased statements I have made over the course of this thread because it is pointless. Pretty much any one who even tries to FACTUALLY point out arguments which counteract some of this bollox get shot down hence they can't even be arsed posting anymore.

I bet you are not. You will be back on here as soon as someone dares to criticise "our Gabs". To say your statements are non-biased is simply not true - you are as biased as i am, just in the other direction. 

He will undoubtedly. Let's hope he sees sense and chooses to get rid.

Edited by TheStagMan

17 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

There is another angle to this too, which I haven't seen anyone say or consider. If it is the wish of the club to move him on, they failed to do that in the last window. With each transfer window passing...Player on a big contract, getting zero game time, might become harder and harder to move him on. To keep him on the fringe of the squad with the opportunity for him to get minutes here and there, slightly raises his stock. Slightly. Means his agent has more to work with in getting clubs interested. Slightly.

He himself, knows that he can either sit in a bomb squad until his contract runs out, or at 30, move on and get playing somewhere else. With the wages he is on, he has a lot of convincing to do for another team to take him on. Sure, we would probably subsidise with wage contributions. But there's that side of it, even if he is scum to you, it might be necessary to have him in and around the place more to successfully move him on IF that's what the club intends.

of course, it's not great when (or if) business decisions factor into footballing matters as above, but an industry this is, and Gabby is a commodity that is costing the company a lot in upkeep with zero return. With a business hat on, you either increase productivity and output with that asset (play him and see if a man playing for his career actually plays well) or..... Make moves with a view to selling (as above).

Which I would accept/believe if he hadn't turned down a move in the summer. That was his opportunity to prove himself. He wasn't interested.

9 hours ago, villa89 said:
1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Are you sure you have been watching him for the last 5 years? Cuz I'm telling you he has been dreadful IMO and how you can try to defend simply astounds me! And this whole nonsense about being our leading prem scorer baffles me- he's no where near scoring a century of goals for us and when you look at goals per games- I would suggest this is nothing special, he's top scorer based on the number of games played, not for having a strikers eye for a goal!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dave J said:

This is the thing, I can not actually be bothered going over this episode again. Even Gabbys staunchest allies are not in denial that he has not been up to par the last few years. Even at his best we acknowledged his limitations, you and I both know this whole debate is deeper than his performances over "the past five years". However were the rest of the team/club up to par? Does any of the clubs demise coincide with this being "dire"? My guess is that it is also his fault we are in the championship. No doubt if we lose on Saturday it might be because his "poisonous" attitude stank up the team bus.

Stop resorting to making it seem like we are thick and know nothing about football ffs.

This has more to do with the over the top, delusional and frankly beligerent attitudes of some.

Because of the "vendetta" facts gets convoluted, stats get skewed and straight up bollox gets spouted just to entertain the dislike posters have for a player, not a damn thing to do with football.

It happens with other players too. Lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Here's where I am with Gabby. For years now he hasn't give us the return what we've wanted from him. Many times now, he has crossed a line. Usually, the point of no return. I don't like the attitude and choices made in several parts of his career, that without doubt, have stuck two fingers up to the club and the fans. 

I don't forgive easily and I don't forget either. However, we are relegated, he was part of that problem, but we are left here. It really is all hands on deck now, whatever the past was. 

If Bruce picks him, there's not a damn thing I can do about it. If he did get picked, knowing he will face boo boys and abuse that's slightly more commendable than sitting at home playing Fifa and getting paid while others are trying to get 3 points. I'm not gonna rush down the club shop to buy a Gabby shirt by any means. 

I do think his bridge is permanently burned in medium and long terms but in the short term we will have to accept that potentially he could be coming back. What if he did, what if he actually played blinders and chipped in? I know, too little too late, agreed. But we have another body there. Part of me also thinks we have bought better players and he will never be first XI in his finite time remaining.

but as I said above, it may be necessary to include him in order to move him on. The man himself knows he won't be getting many offers so he will have to work his ass off and if given the chance, literally play for his career. Which I'm sure won't be here, but at a Fulham or Leeds type team I'd expect. Or if I was a betting man, Warnock's Cardiff. 

Not a Gabby fan boy by any means but I have full faith in Bruce and the new phase. All hands on deck and of Gabby gets a cameo or even a start I'll hope he does well, at worse to at least put him in the shop window as said up a few posts ago. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Without his pace, i just can't see what he can offer us

This is another thing I find hilarious, I am wondering where his "pace" has suddenly gone. Is there actually any proof of this, or just another mythical "stick" to beat with. Cue the "Flabby" talk. He may not be as quick as when he first burst onto the scene but I would really love to know where the "pace has gone" is coming from? I am pretty certain the last assist I saw him provide, not sure if last season, he blew down the left side and teed it up.

The quickest people are still usually faster than average people even when they have "lost pace" because of the set up of their fast twitch muscles etc.

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This is another thing I find hilarious, I am wondering where his "pace" has suddenly gone. Is there actually any proof of this, or just another mythical "stick" to beat with. Cue the "Flabby" talk. He may not be as quick as when he first burst onto the scene but I would really love to know where the "pace has gone" is coming from? I am pretty certain the last assist I saw him provide, not sure if last season, he blew down the left side and teed it up.

The quickest people are still usually faster than average people even when they have "lost pace" because of the set up of their fast twitch muscles etc.

It's pretty obvious that a 30 year old isn't as quick as a 20-25 year old. Don't need to be a genius to figure that out.

We as fans need to accept that he's past it, and let go of him.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Noticed Bruce say he wasn't ready as they try to get him in "shape" and as such have placed him on a training regime; a reminder we are heading into November and he isn't ready for competitive football. 

But everyone deserves a 382nd chance. 

11 hours ago, avfc1982 said:

Yes because of the number of games he's played- don't try to talk this down either please

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Again, having watched his "performances" over the past few years, he has not been able to beat defences with speed like he once did. He still tried to boot the ball past and run onto it (or team-mates put the ball through for him) and he was unable to outpace the defenders. Now either the defences got faster, or he got slower. Lets be nice and say that defences got faster. So rather than him losing his edge, every defence in the country has got better and can nullify his fantastic skills. So how is he going to help us.  

13 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Well ayew hasn't yet and young was a top class winger signed by Manchester united, not a striker asked to play out of position. Daft comparison IMO.

Gabby was excellent throughout the MON years, not just a couple of seasons. 

I think it's a shame the way it's ended so I'm hopeful he can have one last moment before it ends. 

Lets be serious here - He was not Excellent. He was decent for a couple of years under MON (look back at the match threads and indeed this one) from that time. How many times when he was 1 on 1 or running past defenders did we expect him to score? We didn't, we expected him to miss. Even during his purple patch he had a massive number of critics/questions.

The only thing that stepped him up was that he is a local boy and Villa fan. In the last couple of seasons he proved beyond doubt that that means nothing to him any more.

I agree it is a shame it is ending this way, but there is only one person to blame for that........

And the Young thing is not a daft comparison. Maybe I need to spell the point out more clearly - Gabby fanboys state that his goal return is so low because he has been playing as a winger (even though he used to drift inwards in most matches) - i was pointing out that it is possible to score goals from the wing, and gave Young as an example from our own club. There are plenty of examples from other clubs.

• Like 1

Â