Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

I don't think we've seen the last of him in a Villa shirt. If he does get back in the side I hope he at least does enough so that when he does leave permanently it will be on a good note.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I don't have a problem with Dave not rating Gabby. Plenty of Villa fans don't. But one of the worst players he has seen in our shirt in last 40 years I just can't get my head around. Even off the top of my head over the last 25 odd years if you just look at forwards/wide forwards this mob were worse than Gabby in a Villa shirt.

Cascarino, Penrice, Heath, McAvenie, Callaghan, Franz Carr, Whittingham, Fashanu, Lampty, Luke Moor, Stefan Moore, Balaban, Kachloul, Carlton Cole, Baros, Harewood, Delfouneso, Bowery, Holt.

That is without even trying and not even looking at other positions.

Last handful of years in the main he has been poor aside from a spell under Sherwood and a couple of spells under Lambert. Last season he was diabolical.

I think even his staunchest critic though would have to acknowledge under O'Neill he held his own in that side that achieved sixth three times on the spin and scored a number of goals for us many of them in big games. Alongside Carew and Ash Young that forward line was a handful for any team on its day.

You could almost split his time here into two halves. The last few years have overall been poor, especially last season, the first half of his time here he did well. He is done here for me. No doubt about that but when he leaves and I look back on his time here I'll look at the good and the bad and when looking at that I find it impossible to see how anyone could say he is one of the worst players they have seen in 40 years as he isn't even close.

I share your view.....whilst i have never really been a fan of Gabby, I agree , one of the worst is stretching for me.

Its funny because from a personal point of view I have always wanted to like him.

The fascination though Mark we all see things from different angles/view points....but for me thats spice of it all.

I still think how Gabby has ended up is a tragedy for us.....He should be in a position form wise to fire us back to respectability.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, useless said:

I don't think we've seen the last of him in a Villa shirt. 

I do. When a half fit Libor Kozak is ahead of you in the pecking order, you know your not in the clubs plans. 

There is absolutely no chance Gabby will play for us again.

I'm sure Xia said something on twitter about sending him on loan to get his fitness back and prove himself, so I think the chance is still there. Also given that we sometimes play with three strikers, a couple of injuries could see us looking towards him.

I don't want to defend gabby in any respect but.........  Do we want to create another bomb squad? We need to judge players on wether they can offer more than we have on the pitch. Lescott - no, Richards -no, etc.

Gabby vs Kozak - who would have offered more yesterday - I'd probably say Gabby even though I quite like Kozak. You only have to look at Bacuna who is offering more this year because he is surrounded by men /leaders - perhaps that's what Gabby needs (he shouldn't) but perhaps he needs a Carew / McCormack to lead him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

I don't want to defend gabby in any respect but.........  Do we want to create another bomb squad? We need to judge players on wether they can offer more than we have on the pitch. Lescott - no, Richards -no, etc.

I've got to disagree mate, after last season we need to judge players on their attitude and willingness to fight for the football club. 

There is a feel good factor amongst the fans at the moment and i think it would be terrible management to risk that by playing someone so out of favour with the fans. RDM knows that, thats why he prefered to have 5 defenders on the bench against Huddersfield, and a half fit Kozak yesterday. 

As i said, there is no way Gabby will ever play for us again. 

22 hours ago, useless said:

I don't think we've seen the last of him in a Villa shirt. If he does get back in the side I hope he at least does enough so that when he does leave permanently it will be on a good note.

I think we might have seen the last of him in any football shirt. He is shot and not even 30. Shame.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

I think he is hiding in a cupboard at Bodymore Heath hoping that everyone is too busy with other things and doesn't notice he is still here until it is too late.

where now?

Surely he realises even a short term loan can do nothing but good.

I cant believe he isnt on his agents back pimping him out to everyone.

The fact we havnt heard anything speaks volumes!

Â