Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

5 minutes ago, Ginko said:

I don't care if you're homeless on the streets or a professional sportsman earning his hundreds of thousands a week, £3million is an insane amount of money to just throw away.

Either way, I'm not saying this is why he turned down moves away, I'm just playing devil's advocate and suggesting it might not be as simple as him being an unmotivated mercenary who has given up on his career when he's clearly worked hard to get back into shape.

But he hasn't turned down £3m, that was just a suggestion on a forum - he has turned down an opportunity to get game time, get match fit, prove himself and rebuild his career, versus sitting on his arse being (almost) universally hated by the fans of the club that he purports to love, a club that as it stands he will never play for again for the same money either way. 

Now we dont have the full story and we dont know why he turned it down, but if it was me in Gabby's position, I would be doing everything to prove people wrong. 

I really dislike the guy, but if he was to take a loan deal, work hard, show some quality out on loan, make his presence felt on the pitch and try to earn his place back here then I would have respect for him. As it stands at the moment, he hasn't and I dont, in fact all he has done is reinforce my views on him.

Well he would really, wouldn't he?

He'd lose time with his kids, his family and friends and he'd be living in a foreign country with a massively different culture completely cut off from all those people.

Traditionally, British players don't tend to go abroad to play football. Gabby struggles enough with English. Imagine him trying to learn Mandarin!

7 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

But he hasn't turned down £3m, that was just a suggestion on a forum - he has turned down an opportunity to get game time, get match fit, prove himself and rebuild his career, versus sitting on his arse being (almost) universally hated by the fans of the club that he purports to love, a club that as it stands he will never play for again for the same money either way. 

Now we dont have the full story and we dont know why he turned it down, but if it was me in Gabby's position, I would be doing everything to prove people wrong. 

I really dislike the guy, but if he was to take a loan deal, work hard, show some quality out on loan, make his presence felt on the pitch and try to earn his place back here then I would have respect for him. As it stands at the moment, he hasn't and I dont, in fact all he has done is reinforce my views on him.

But do we know there were loan deals offered? It just seems this is based on a lot of hearsay.

And you brought up the hypothetical £5million offer, I was just replying and making an argument against it.

My suggestion is, and as you say, no one knows the truth, that perhaps in his mind he is buckling down and fighting for his chance, but he wants it to be here. Or maybe the offers he has had weren't for him for one reason or another.

I don't rate him at all and would be happy enough if he left, but I just think it's short-sighted and biased against him to assume he hasn't left the club because he wants to sit on his arse and collect money for nothing from the club he claims to love.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

In Reading?

That was in reply to the idea of him going to China. Should have quoted but didn't anticipate someone posting faster than me and the page break.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ginko said:

Well he would really, wouldn't he?

He'd lose time with his kids, his family and friends and he'd be living in a foreign country with a massively different culture completely cut off from all those people.

Traditionally, British players don't tend to go abroad to play football. Gabby struggles enough with English. Imagine him trying to learn Mandarin!

Come on..... Reading is not *that* bad

3 minutes ago, Ginko said:

But do we know there were loan deals offered? It just seems this is based on a lot of hearsay.

And you brought up the hypothetical £5million offer, I was just replying and making an argument against it.

My suggestion is, and as you say, no one knows the truth, that perhaps in his mind he is buckling down and fighting for his chance, but he wants it to be here. Or maybe the offers he has had weren't for him for one reason or another.

I don't rate him at all and would be happy enough if he left, but I just think it's short-sighted and biased against him to assume he hasn't left the club because he wants to sit on his arse and collect money for nothing from the club he claims to love.

Heresay, maybe - but Matt Kendrick reported on it. 

I didn't bring up the £5m offer - that was someone else

We don't know the truth, but there is no visible evidence of him giving a shit. As for the last paragraph - I respectfully disagree, because that is exactly what he did for most of last season.

Don't blame Gabby, if I were him I would stay put too.

It wasn't his fault the club offered him the contract he is on so why should he walk away from it or relocate the family in order to play elsewhere ? Villa will play him somewhere at some level at some point and when they do, he will have his chance.

Personally, I'd drop Ayew for him tomorrow !!!

3 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Heresay, maybe - but Matt Kendrick reported on it. 

I didn't bring up the £5m offer - that was someone else

We don't know the truth, but there is no visible evidence of him giving a shit. As for the last paragraph - I respectfully disagree, because that is exactly what he did for most of last season.

Kendrick didn't state whether it was a loan or permanent. If it was permanent it's a big decision to make, if it was a loan I agree it was dumb to turn it down. We don't know the details so forming a rational opinion is pretty much impossible.

My bad, but either way it was in reply to another poster's hypothetical and the point still stands.

I disagree, there is no visible proof he doesn't give a shit, just hearsay that he stayed put because he's a lazy mercenary. The visible proof suggesting he does give a shit is him getting back into shape despite being told he's not in RDM's plans. Why get in shape if you're just going to stick around for three more years collecting your wages and not playing?

What offers did he get last year? I'm genuinely curious. If you have any evidence of any genuine and decent offers that he turned down for nonsensical reasons then I'll happily agree with you.

57 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

It wasn't his fault the club offered him the contract he is on so why should he walk away from it or relocate the family in order to play elsewhere ?

Because if there's a chance to play professional football (Your career) for another year 90 minutes away you should want to snap at it. Time goes quick, Gabby will soon be 34/35 and will look back on a year(s) wasted.

Gabby's other IG account is called "dollarsandpounds" so that sums up what the guy is all about.

Edited by Spray
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ginko said:

What offers did he get last year? I'm genuinely curious. If you have any evidence of any genuine and decent offers that he turned down for nonsensical reasons then I'll happily agree with you.

No idea about offers last year, I was referring to his general demeanor and lack of effort on the pitch, having to be sent to fat camp - twice, going off to Dubai to party after terrible performances for both him and the rest of the team, lack of goal, lack of assists - all whilst being the club captain and being the one in a position of responsibility to motivate the rest of the team.

20 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

It wasn't his fault the club offered him the contract he is on so why should he walk away from it or relocate the family in order to play elsewhere ? Villa will play him somewhere at some level at some point and when they do, he will have his chance.

No, it was't his fault that someone at the club offered him a new contract (they need a good kicking for doing so), but it has been absolutely his fault for not living up to it and giving 100% (i.e. fulfilling his part of the contract he has been given).

Reading does not necessitate moving the family (by all accounts, our other "captain" lived in Manchester with his family). I know people who commute that sort of distance/time for far far far less money.

Villa wont play him again. Xia and RDM have made that clear, and public.

There is no way I would drop Ayew for Gabby - Ayew is 10X the player.

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

No idea about offers last year, I was referring to his general demeanor and lack of effort on the pitch, having to be sent to fat camp - twice, going off to Dubai to party after terrible performances for both him and the rest of the team, lack of goal, lack of assists - all whilst being the club captain and being the one in a position of responsibility to motivate the rest of the team.

You'll get no argument from me that last year he was a waste of space who abused his position in the club for his own selfish gains.

But that's not what we were originally discussing. You're basing your opinion on why he hasn't left for pastures new off of this past behaviour and then assuming he hasn't left because he's still being lazy and selfish.

Maybe you're right, but you still haven't acknowledged him getting back into shape. I think there's a chance he might be working hard to prove to RDM and Tony that he'll be there waiting if they need him. I'm not saying it's the right decision, I'm simply saying that you might be letting your personal feelings enter into your judgement and it may be oversimplifying things a bit to suggest he's still being a selfish mercenary in this instance whereas there's no evidence other than previous behaviour to support that and there is evidence (him getting in shape) to the contrary.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

He could go to the states/china and earn far more than 3 million over the next couple of years so wouldn't be losing anything other than a few thousand people calling him a cnut

But we know he doesn't want to leave the midlands area.....

22 minutes ago, Ginko said:

You'll get no argument from me that last year he was a waste of space who abused his position in the club for his own selfish gains.

But that's not what we were originally discussing. You're basing your opinion on why he hasn't left for pastures new off of this past behaviour and then assuming he hasn't left because he's still being lazy and selfish.

Maybe you're right, but you still haven't acknowledged him getting back into shape. I think there's a chance he might be working hard to prove to RDM and Tony that he'll be there waiting if they need him. I'm not saying it's the right decision, I'm simply saying that you might be letting your personal feelings enter into your judgement and it may be oversimplifying things a bit to suggest he's still being a selfish mercenary in this instance whereas there's no evidence other than previous behaviour to support that and there is evidence (him getting in shape) to the contrary.

I will agree that from the Instagram pics that he has posted, he does seem to be back in shape. However that does not undo all the damage he did over the last few seasons. As I have said elsewhere in this thread, he is not a good enough player to be forgiven, and it sounds like Xia and co have made that clear to him, yet he is still here.

Of course my personal feelings are coming into this - he is and has been taking the piss out of my club, the one I have supported since I was old enough to walk. I would not care if he played for FREE this season. He has done the damage, his behaviour as club captain and "villa boy through and through" last season and before is unforgivable. There I said it! I do not want him at the club, apart from being a rocket polisher he is NOT GOOD ENOUGH and apart from a couple of seasons nearly 10 years ago has contributed very little to the Villa. There has always been a debate about his abilities, like no other player I have seen at the Villa (possibly excluding Westwood), even during his "on fire" years. 

I don't understand why there is still this support for him? Richards and Lescott have been (rightly) strung up after one season. Gabby has produced several seasons of shit and still this debate goes on. 

1 hour ago, Paul33 said:

Err! Professional pride for a start. And whilst Ayew is clearly not pulling up trees right now- you have got to be kidding right?

Â