Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Total respect for handling this one in public. Thing is Gabby has seen off managers, team mates, ceo's and owners before. Seems like he wants to play games with DrX. can't say with what we've seen so far that Gabby's gonna win this one though. I hope Xia and RDM stick to their guns. I'd rather see Sellars, RHM and Green given a chance than ever see Gabby in the shirt again. Can't say I'm surprised at all though. He was always going to be the hardest one to shift.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, One For The Road said:

It's such a shame. All he had to do to be remembered as some kind of Villa legend is bugger off a couple of years ago. He has scored a lot of important goals for us over the years, especially in derbies. But his hanging around Villa Park being a disruptive influence, whilst bagging ridiculous wages for doing **** all means he won't be remembered very fondly at all. He needed to leave years ago. Now it's just ridiculous. 

Never ever ever a Villa legend in any way shape or form IMO 

• Like 2

Looking at it from Gabys pov

he doesnt want to go and wants to see his contract out. So he thinks its in his best interests to do so.

Dr X RDM and a good portion of fans think he's a Clearing in the woods, Rightly so from my pov

36 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Never ever ever a Villa legend in any way shape or form IMO 

Well that's my point. He could have been. He is one of all time highest goal scorers and one of our longest serving players. The legendary status was his to lose. And he did just that. 

Thick people are very often doomed to failure, even if fate deals them some good cards along the way.

They frequently show poor judgement, fail to learn from their mistakes, indulge themselves when caution is better advised and struggle to understand that they and only they are to blame for the choices they make.

Intelligent people do all this shit too of course, but are blessed with a single get out jail card - their brain. Life just ain't fair sometimes.

However much he works out, Gabby will always have a flabby noggin.

In the bin.

Whether the Dr was right or wrong in speaking out isn't really the main issue here for me.  The fact is a professional footballer doesn't want to play football and is happy to take the money and sit around.  This is wrong.  I played football to a reasonable standard and hated the fact that playing was coming to an end and hate it even now.  It's not easy I know but I would find a way of paying him off now, just so he's not around our club any longer.   Poisonous.

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 2

Like it nor not he is a Villa player for the next 5 months at least. If fit, he is / will be a potential asset to this team in the Championship. 

For the next few months at least, im willing to support him.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Like it nor not he is a Villa player for the next 5 months at least. If fit, he is / will be a potential asset to this team in the Championship. 

For the next few months at least, im willing to support him.

I'm not.  I agree that like it or not that he is a Villa player for the next 5 months.  He is not an asset though, he is a potential problem.  He turned his back on the team and the club with his performances and attitude last season.  He was offered a way back, all be it a challenging path of finding games for another team and proving his desire to behave as a pro and his desire simply to play football.  Once again, Gabby has decided he would rather take the easy path and go against the advice of his manager and the chairman of the club.  Gabby knows what is best/easiest for him.  Even if he is fit (which is unlikely even if he is not actually fat) it is a monumental risk to put him in with the rest of the team and start spreading his influence.  The only way he will be an asset for the next 5 months will be as a cautionary example of what happens to you when you lose sight of what it is to be part of a team and fight for something bigger than yourself.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Straggler said:

I'm not.  I agree that like it or not that he is a Villa player for the next 5 months.  He is not an asset though, he is a potential problem.  He turned his back on the team and the club with his performances and attitude last season.  He was offered a way back, all be it a challenging path of finding games for another team and proving his desire to behave as a pro and his desire simply to play football.  Once again, Gabby has decided he would rather take the easy path and go against the advice of his manager and the chairman of the club.  Gabby knows what is best/easiest for him.  Even if he is fit (which is unlikely even if he is not actually fat) it is a monumental risk to put him in with the rest of the team and start spreading his influence.  The only way he will be an asset for the next 5 months will be as a cautionary example of what happens to you when you lose sight of what it is to be part of a team and fight for something bigger than yourself.

If it's possible in contract law ( I've no idea) I'd pay him off the remainder of his two years but on the basis he can't sign another contract with anyone else until the original contract expiry date, or he can take a much reduced pay off to become a free agent, his decision would be an indication of his true colours, and I know which one I  could see him making. Offer nothing whatsoever to this club now, bar the potential to be a bad influence. 

2 minutes ago, Mammoth10 said:

If it's possible in contract law ( I've no idea) I'd pay him off the remainder of his two years but on the basis he can't sign another contract with anyone else until the original contract expiry date, or he can take a much reduced pay off to become a free agent, his decision would be an indication of his true colours, and I know which one I  could see him making. Offer nothing whatsoever to this club now, bar the potential to be a bad influence. 

It's called gardening leave anywhere else.

48 minutes ago, DamsonwoodVillan said:

What actually is the reality of Gabby's situation at the moment? Is he training with the kids, not in training at all? I don't think we'll ever see him in a Villa shirt again. Too many options, and I think Hepburn-Murphy will get a run later in the season after his loan. 

Don`t think Hepburn-Murphy went on loan

Just now, Mammoth10 said:

Yeah I know just wasn't sure how long you could effectively enforce that for?

Dunno really, my point was you can give people gardening leave at any other business so I'm sure it could translate to football.  I'm not sure 5 months is  a great deal of time either.

Fundamentally it's the same issue, you give gardening leave to protect your business whilst still entitling the worker to full enumeration.  I was given it once when I handed in my notice, at the exit interview I gave all the reasons in full about my boss - he got really heated and the company felt it was best to place me on gardening leave than have me see out my notice.

I wasn't supposed to work for anyone else, though I had already a job lined up (hence why I was leaving) who were happy to take me on earlier.  Double bubble.

I'm sure the same principles would apply, we need to protect the business as we have a disgruntled player on our hands who could effectively sabotage the business by spreading his influence.

• Like 1

Â