Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

I don't see him in training every day (or even know if he's in training every day?) but at the moment this naming 4 defenders on the bench isn't doing us any favours, traore isn't there because he doesn't want to be, gabby has said he's going nowhere, bacuna has had his chance and taken it, green isn't ready IMO RHM and Davis are still with the U23s

• Like 2

Gabby 100% is better than Green, will we be able to say that at the end of Green's career? Who knows. I think we should be looking to replace him, he's had his time. But right now, with a bench full of defenders and nobody to replace any attackers, he should be on the subs. At least until suitable replacements are found.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dave J said:

With all due respect if you honestly believe this - you are totally hoodwinking yourself.

As a villa supporter of over 40 years- I can say in my humble opinion he is one of the worst players I have seen in our shirt.

i have no reason to say this do I? - unless as I say in my opinion it's true.

I respect your opinion but don't agree. I think he has lost his way but he has had his moments for us and under Oneill was a key player. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Just shows how people can see the game differently as I go back around 35 years and Gabby wouldn't make the top 50 worst players I have seen in that time. He has let himself and us down badly over the last few seasons, last year he was a disgrace, but that can't wipe out what he has done especially the 4 seasons under O'Neill when he was more than decent. He was picked week in week out for a team that finished sixth three times on the spin and more than held his own in it.

Huge let down in recent years most definitely. One of the worst players of the last 40 years sorry I am not having it. Not even close. 

I could give you twenty worse players over the last 5 seasons let alone the last 40 years. (Please don't anybody ask for a list. Use some initiative, Lescott, Richards, Holmann, Bennett, Luna etc etc etc).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I think it tells you all you need to know that 4 defenders got onto the bench on Tuesday before Gabby, and Kozak for that matter, and that RDM deemed that Green was the only forward worthy of making the bench.

I'd be amazed if RDM wouldn't have loved to have had a striker on the bench in place of one of the four defenders. Assuming Gabby is fit then it can only mean that RDM simply doesn't rate him. He initially got game time in the friendlies but as since disappeared which suggests a decision has been made and he isn't part of the managers plans.

It should never have finished this way for Gabby. He should at 29 be in his prime and especially at a time we are lacking options up front he should still be in contention. The reason he isn't is nobody else's fault but his. Unlike some on here I actually do think he had ability. Like many forwards he was heavily reliant on pace but he scored some real gems for us that were instinctive and at one time he was very good in the air given his height. He was also a very good wide outlet for us. That was all a very long time ago though and he completely lost his way over the last 3 or 4 years where, as someone who rates him, I'd struggle to name you 20 games where he really made an impact and over the last 16 months he has done absolutely nothing other than make headlines for the wrong reasons.

There won't be a fairy tale ending and he won't turn the clock back half a dozen years. I think had he truly been busting his balls in training he would have been given a chance and the fact he hasn't, given our lack of options, like I said says it all. I am 99% certain he is done here. 

I give you this much- he wasn't bad in the air considering his height- your not wrong 

37 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Just shows how people can see the game differently as I go back around 35 years and Gabby wouldn't make the top 50 worst players I have seen in that time. He has let himself and us down badly over the last few seasons, last year he was a disgrace, but that can't wipe out what he has done especially the 4 seasons under O'Neill when he was more than decent. He was picked week in week out for a team that finished sixth three times on the spin and more than held his own in it.

Huge let down in recent years most definitely. One of the worst players of the last 40 years sorry I am not having it. Not even close. 

And I respect yours too. Nothing will change my mind though- guess that's what makes footie the game that we all love:-)

33 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

I could give you twenty worse players over the last 5 seasons let alone the last 40 years. (Please don't anybody ask for a list. Use some initiative, Lescott, Richards, Holmann, Bennett, Luna etc etc etc).

Football is all about opinions and I totally respect yours but  crikey do you really believe Gabby has had a better career than Lescott ( villa career aside?)

57 minutes ago, Dave J said:

With all due respect if you honestly believe this - you are totally hoodwinking yourself.

As a villa supporter of over 40 years- I can say in my humble opinion he is one of the worst players I have seen in our shirt.

i have no reason to say this do I? - unless as I say in my opinion it's true.

70+ Premier League goals from one of our worst ever players? What drivel!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, avfc1982 said:

With due respect if I had played the amount of games he's played for us- I would be extremely disappointed with my self for only scoring 70 odd goals. Very poor return for a striker regardless of people trying to claim the winger nonsense.

did you ever see Gary Shaw play football ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I don't see him in training every day (or even know if he's in training every day?) but at the moment this naming 4 defenders on the bench isn't doing us any favours, traore isn't there because he doesn't want to be, gabby has said he's going nowhere, bacuna has had his chance and taken it, green isn't ready IMO RHM and Davis are still with the U23s

And yet the Manager made it clear his is not in his plans. What does that tell you about the bloke? Does he love playing football or does he just love the money? and he knows he can't get it anywhere else. 

He will happily stay at home picking up his wages and posting the odd stupid #readyifcalledupon crap online. He is like an ex that just can't get the message. 

The majority of the fans want him gone, the club wants him gone, just bloody go Gabby. 

Just now, avfc1982 said:

I agree he is not one of the worst players ever to grace the shirt, but I wish people would stop banging on about his goals tally as if it is something wondrous. It is 70 goals over what, roughly 10 years. Lets be generous and say 10 goals per season on average....... from one of your main strikers, club captain, Villa fan - thats a pretty poor return.

Wonder how many McCormack would score over the same period, what about Carew, even the idiot Baros? I would wager that all of them would score more.

And there were only 2 (maybe 3) seasons were his tallies were good, and he looked decent. Decent, no more than that. 

Over the last 5 years he has just taken the piss. For that he needs to go. He deserted us in our hour of need. Unforgivable. 

He is not a good enough player now (and wasn't at his peak) to be forgiven for the things he has done. In addition, letting him back into the fold would send completely the wrong message to the rest of he squad about attitude and commitment. We are trying to shake off the malaise of the past -- Gabby is the very epitome of everything that was wrong. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Football is all about opinions and I totally respect yours but  crikey do you really believe Gabby has had a better career than Lescott ( villa career aside?)

Well this is about Villa players and Villa careers isn't it? Lol. Otherwise we could start skewing all types of variables.

Lescott has also had a better career than Elphick.

That point is as pointless as your last statement,

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

30 minutes ago, av1 said:

And yet the Manager made it clear his is not in his plans. What does that tell you about the bloke? Does he love playing football or does he just love the money? and he knows he can't get it anywhere else. 

He will happily stay at home picking up his wages and posting the odd stupid #readyifcalledupon crap online. He is like an ex that just can't get the message. 

The majority of the fans want him gone, the club wants him gone, just bloody go Gabby. 

That's what I'm saying though, why isn't gabby part of his plans? If this is the squad we are left with after the transfer window shuts then based on what I saw Tuesday night gabby, Veretout, kozak and traore all have parts to play, we simply don't have the strength in depth to freeze them out

I could be wrong but I think the suggestion is that the Gabby of the last 3 or so years is one of the worst players we've had, rather than the Gabby during the MON years. 

Although I've never particularly been a fan of his, I suspect that even in his latter years, there's probably a more deserving player for that title.

I could understand a suggestion that Gabby has perhaps had the biggest fall from grace in our history. Their can't be too many players who have had so many chances of a fresh start and spurned them time and time again.

I should imagine his affinity to the club also adds a further bitterness for some Villa fans as they will look at him as having had the opportunity only a few of us will ever do and play for the club he supports. Sadly, through a combination of poor performances and a poor attitude (the latter being the biggest issue for me) he's tarnished what could have been viewed as a decent, albeit somewhat indifferent career.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 2

Â