Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

9 hours ago, S-Platt said:

Out of curiosity would anyone have had him as a sub last Tuesday against Huddersfield when we were crying out for someone to come off the bench last 20 mins? 

I know I would but then I am pretty forgiving of most things!

Yes, I would have. We had three defenders on the bench if I remember right, so I would have put him on.

The Gabby of last year was very poor, signs are he has least got fitter for this season. He is our record goal scorer, even if his goal to starts isn't great. If he had been on, and truly wanted it, he would have hustled their defenders and given them very little time on the ball to make the better pass. This could of taken some pressure of the rest of the players.

A few ifs and buts, but I would have given him a try.

I still would like to know why he has been canned and others haven't? I don't think he would of said he wanted to leave.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, villianusa said:

Yes, I would have. We had three defenders on the bench if I remember right, so I would have put him on.

The Gabby of last year was very poor, signs are he has least got fitter for this season. He is our record goal scorer, even if his goal to starts isn't great. If he had been on, and truly wanted it, he would have hustled their defenders and given them very little time on the ball to make the better pass. This could of taken some pressure of the rest of the players.

A few ifs and buts, but I would have given him a try.

I still would like to know why he has been canned and others haven't? I don't think he would of said he wanted to leave.

I can tell you why- he's not very good. Could we please just leave the if- buts- & maybe's well and truly in the past. I thought we were finally moving forward into a new era and I don't want him back in the fold.

but that's just my personal opinion.

1 minute ago, Dave J said:

I can tell you why- he's not very good. Could we please just leave the if- buts- & maybe's well and truly in the past. I thought we were finally moving forward into a new era and I don't want him back in the fold.

Life is always about ifs and buts, so we can't leave that behind. I'm sure after Villa's next game we will be talking ifs and buts.

In your opinion he isn't very good, and I agree last year he was very poor, but we have also seen Gabby terrify teams. He is only just about to turn 30, and if he stays in shape, he could still be an asset to the team. I'm not saying he should start, but an impact sub he certainly can be.

• Like 2

Depends on attitude, if he really wants to try and make good, i am sure, if fit, he could be better off the bench than Baker(!).

But does he deserve it after our club captain put his feet up and enjoyed himself while we got relegated and 20,000 season ticket holder paid to turn up and support the club when he couldnt be arsed and was being paid £57K p/w?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

A major flaw in your argument, is that he has actually been "very good" more than he has been "not very good" over the course of his Villa career if you actually want to go by facts.

However I know this logic does not suit the argument.

Gabriel Agbonlahor, at this stage is better than Andre Green.

SORRY

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

Depends on attitude, if he really wants to try and make good, i am sure, if fit, he could be better off the bench than Baker(!).

But does he deserve it after our club captain put his feet up and enjoyed himself while we got relegated and 20,000 season ticket holder paid to turn up and support the club when he couldnt be arsed and was being paid £57K p/w?

That's a good question Thunderball. I personally say yes, I'm not one for holding a grudge. Yes, he let the fans, club, family, and himself down last season, but if he is ready to make amends, then I say why not. 

I know I'm not innocent of making mistakes in my life, and I would not like it for people to continue to hold them over me. I have to offer the same forgiveness to others.

• Like 2

His ability or otherwise is irrelevant. He was the Club Captain and he gave up when we needed him the most. 

So now i, the majority of the fans, and more importantly the club, have given up on him. I find it absolutely staggering that people can defend the bloke after the way he has treated the club. We have given him far more than he ever gave us, 1 club man? More like the only club in world football stupid enough to give the bloke £60kpw. Even now he's taking the piss, he knows he will never play for the club again, has he intructed his agent to find him a new club? Has he f##k, he retired years ago, he's just raping the club of a few more million, The bloke is tosser. 

We don't get a second chance so neither should Gabby. 

11 hours ago, blandy said:

They says fans will forgive many things, but they'll never forgive not trying.

Last season (plus) Gabby didn't try.

Earlier on in his career, people forgave, or accepted weaknesses because he worked his socks off.

A less angry version of my thoughts. 

20 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I think it tells you all you need to know that 4 defenders got onto the bench on Tuesday before Gabby, and Kozak for that matter, and that RDM deemed that Green was the only forward worthy of making the bench.

I'd be amazed if RDM wouldn't have loved to have had a striker on the bench in place of one of the four defenders. Assuming Gabby is fit then it can only mean that RDM simply doesn't rate him. He initially got game time in the friendlies but as since disappeared which suggests a decision has been made and he isn't part of the managers plans.

It should never have finished this way for Gabby. He should at 29 be in his prime and especially at a time we are lacking options up front he should still be in contention. The reason he isn't is nobody else's fault but his. Unlike some on here I actually do think he had ability. Like many forwards he was heavily reliant on pace but he scored some real gems for us that were instinctive and at one time he was very good in the air given his height. He was also a very good wide outlet for us. That was all a very long time ago though and he completely lost his way over the last 3 or 4 years where, as someone who rates him, I'd struggle to name you 20 games where he really made an impact and over the last 16 months he has done absolutely nothing other than make headlines for the wrong reasons.

There won't be a fairy tale ending and he won't turn the clock back half a dozen years. I think had he truly been busting his balls in training he would have been given a chance and the fact he hasn't, given our lack of options, like I said says it all. I am 99% certain he is done here. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

His ability or otherwise is irrelevant. He was the Club Captain and he gave up when we needed him the most. 

I find it absolutely staggering that people can defend the bloke after the way he has treated the club. We have given him far more than he ever gave us, 1 club man?

And I find it absolutely staggering that someone can give a positive contribution for 90 percent of their career to 1 club, as well as having come through and helping towards keeping us UP (needed him most) in the past Have personal problems and poor form/ decision making for 10 percent and be treated as sub human from there on out. You realise these are not robots and this is not FIFA or FM right? You realise that for the billionth time his decline was in line with the decline of the whole club right? ( I am guessing this is also his fault)

His friggin wage is irrelevant, once again he was given that wage because at the time they felt he was worth it.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Here are some snippets of the "lazy", "useless" "lump" from a poor by his and the clubs standards season 2014/2015. 

There are much better highlight reels from earlier seasons obviously, but I purposely chose a more recent one for obvious reasons.

When you back up claims with facts, the argument after is his ability doesn't matter as he is a word removed anyway lol.

Like him or hate him, up to you, but stop pretending he has not given a shite load of value to this club in his time here.

• Like 2

JV you make it sound like he single handedly dragged us up the league. I'm not saying he was crap, but even at his best he was pretty limited. Those limitations were overlooked because he was a local lad who ran his bollocks off. He was decent, no more no less. and the last few years he has simply stopped trying. And that is unforgivable. 

53 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

His friggin wage is irrelevant, once again he was given that wage because at the time they felt he was worth it.

Its only irrelevant if we leave out the 1 club man nonsense. If we want to use that as some sign of loyalty, we need also to acknowledge that no club was ever interested in him, and that he would not have been able to earn the same amount anywhere else. 

You can't praise the bloke for being a 1 club man while ignoring all the facts. 

Edited by av1

9 minutes ago, av1 said:

JV you make it sound like he single handedly dragged us up the league. I'm not saying he was crap, but even at his best he was pretty limited. Those limitations were overlooked because he was a local lad who ran his bollocks off. He was decent, no more no less. and the last few years he has simply stopped trying. And that is unforgivable. 

These aeguments will never end mate, at the end of the day we all have our favourites which we will back to the hilt, Gabby is one of mine and I will never forget the good he has done, and i will never back him being unfairly treated. I've done the same for other players too.

I even remember JPA getting terrible abuse and i backed him the same as he never deserved it.

I thought the humanisation and connection with the footballers was a huge part of being a fan.

Sadly, times have changed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

These aeguments will never end mate, at the end of the day we all have our favourites which we will back to the hilt, Gabby is one of mine and I will never forget the good he has done, and i will never back him being unfairly treated. I've done the same for other players too.

I even remember JPA getting terrible abuse and i backed him the same as he never deserved it.

I thought the humanisation and connection with the footballers was a huge part of being a fan.

Sadly, times have changed.

He is in great shape to be fair. Even to have him on the bench would have been great against Huddersfield. It was the lack of forwards that cost us the points in the second half and allowed them to get on top. He would have been good to have that night. The bench was shite and too defensive

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, av1 said:

Its only irrelevant if we leave out the 1 club man nonsense. If we want to use that as some sign of loyalty, we need also to acknowledge that no club was ever interested in him, and that he would not have been able to earn the same amount anywhere else. 

You can't praise the bloke for being a 1 club man while ignoring all the facts. 

NO. To be honest alot of you ignore the facts.

When his ability/record is put into question, then confronted with cold hard FACTS to the contrary. You lot proceed to move the goalposts.

You are kidding yourself if you think at Gabbys best back in the day, on fire, he  could not have gotten a move and milked a living even if he eventually got "found out".

He would not even entertain a move, and why would you? If you could get a great wage at your boyhood club, would you move to another for the same wage?

Are you genuinely trying to convince yourself that Gabby has not been a huge contributor to this football club, and one of the most valuable players over the years?

There are countless examples of players across the leagues, which whilst were/ have not been world beaters, were extremely valuable to their clubs, and commanded big wages as such. Players which teams were not necessarily clamouring for, or willing to pay large wages for.

Kevin Nolan, Leon Osman etc.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

A major flaw in your argument, is that he has actually been "very good" more than he has been "not very good" over the course of his Villa career if you actually want to go by facts.

However I know this logic does not suit the argument.

Gabriel Agbonlahor, at this stage is better than Andre Green.

SORRY

What facts? Imo he has been stealing a living for the majority of his Villa career, bar the total combination of two seasons and im probably being generous at that.

• Like 1

FWIW I think he was at his best playing out wide in a 4-3-3 under MON.

So him being played out of position during the last few seasons is something I can't 100% agree on.

But then again we all see things different.

• Like 1

Â