Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

When you've got 7 players on the bench I don't think there's anything wrong in having Gestede AND Gabby on there.

The problem for me is that with Gabby, to the media, they still see the speed merchant down the left who had defenders terrified. He'll chip in with 6 or 7 goals maybe but his overall game doesn't justify his inclusion any longer, nor has it for a long long time. If it was a player who hadn't come from the youth team and wasn't a Villa fan, someone serving up Gabby's performances over the years would have been hounded out long ago.

I understand to a degree why people still want to give him a chance, he has the tools in his locker to be a very good player, despite seemingly being around forever he's not long turned 29, he should be in his prime but his prime is seemingly his early 20's. In the past 5 seasons (not including this one) he's averaged 5.4 league goals. That's pretty poor. We scoff at the likes of Jon Walters but over the same 5 year period he's averaged 6.8 goals per season and a hell of a lot more work-rate overall at I would imagine half the wage.

Gabby is a Villian through and through, you would expect him to be working his balls off to get back into this team but it seems like he's being going through the motions for years. I don't doubt he loves the club but a huge wage and his position in the squad never under threat regardless has bred complacency and it's only now with Garde that he's really paying the price for it. I think he thinks he could coast and retire here mid-30's regardless but his performances and wage just don't warrant him being around still. There is still time on his side to prove people wrong and earn a place as he should be at his best now but he's nowhere near it. If it was a player with no ties to the club he'd have been long gone many moons ago, sentiment has its place in football but when it seems to be to the detriment of the club for a long time then it should go out the window. Either he puts the effort in now or he should be gone.

I wouldn't call him fat but he's been carrying excess weight for a long time too. There's a difference between being fat and being in-shape as a player. He's still an athlete but if he dropped half a stone to a stone would he really be that worse off for it? He'd still be well built and powerful but I would suspect far more agile. Straight sprints and a tough shoulder barge just don't cut it any more.

I'd have him on the bench but I don't know what condition he's in anymore and what goes on behind the scenes. He should realise it's make or break for him now though.

• Like 4

Don't want him near the squad to be honest. I still remember those eight touches (two of which were at kickoff) he had in the first half against Spurs, absolute disgrace for a footballer. Carragher and lampard rightly laughed and shamed him. Still hoping a club comes in for him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

The difference now with gabby is he has to improve as Garde has shown he isnt scared to freeze him out. personally I would play him for Wycombe see if he has that burning desire to get back in the team.

'I would play him for Wycombe'  that be one way for us to win i guess.  Be like playing against 10 men

• Like 1

Gabby for me has appealed to fans who slept walked in to lowering their expectations of what they expect from players.I hope I'm not being unkind.

Dwight Yorke who often baulks when asked questions about Gabby, you can clearly see he has reservations about him and a reluctance to praise.

Gabby always was a luxury player, limited in his consistency, despite the odd goal that would appease the easily pleased.....and the discerning on occasions.

Dwight is the standard we should be revering, with his improvisation, diversity and the ability to conjure goals when we need them.

unless we raise our expectations of what is good......that's what we will always get.

Edited by TRO

Asked whether Agbonlahor would be fit to face Wycombe, the boss said: "I will see with Gabby.

"I will see what I see on the training session.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~5282075,00.html

That doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement for a return to first team duties to me. More likely, Gabby has to show he gives a shit on the training ground before any consideration be given to him making first team appearances.

I like Garde, he doesn't appear to suffer fools.

• Like 3

Well the irony is Tim Sherwood does champion Gabby and says he should be playing.

it's interesting how opinions vary.

I don't dislike Sherwood.....a.but I back Garde on this.

Edited by TRO

He should have be playing would have been better than what we had during our 20 game win less streak.

Wages not is fault. Anyone who gets high wages at this club seems to get ostrichized.  

Z'nogbia should have been playing too.

Instead we pursued with Gestede and Ayew who's better now but took ages to look any good... and that has pretty much got us relegated.

• Like 1

Just now, supernova26 said:

He should have be playing would have been better than what we had during our 20 game win less streak.

Wages not is fault. Anyone who gets high wages at this club seems to get ostrichized.  

Z'nogbia should have been playing too.

Instead we pursued with Gestede and Ayew who's better now but took ages to look any good... and that has pretty much got us relegated.

Of course! We would never be in this position had we have played Gabby and N'Zogbia more!! 

:crylaugh:

• Like 4

Just now, supernova26 said:

20.game.winless.streak.a.club.record.going.back.140.years.says.I'm.right

Not a debate to be had here. 

Gabby contributed towards that. Or have you wiped the 6 touch half against Spurs from your memory?

7 minutes ago, supernova26 said:

20.game.winless.streak.a.club.record.going.back.140.years.says.I'm.right.

Not a debate to be had here. 

Using logic like that proves I should have been leading the line.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

Â