Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

The best thing to do with Gabby is to stand off him and let him think about what he has to do - he can only really cope if he's acting instinctively because if he has the time to think, he tends to mess up.

• Like 3

Is 67 goals over 9 years good enough?

I agree largely with OBE but when you look at players like lukaku who has scored almost the same amount as gabby over 9 years within 5 years and is only 20 years old, when you look at Benteke who has scored 73 over 7 years and is only 23 years old, hell, even Grant Holt had scored 80-90 after 10 years.

I like Gabby, admire his loyalty but he isn't a great, I don't think he'd have survived at another club and he should be on the bench from now on.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 3

I agree largely with OBE but when you look at players like lukaku who has scored almost the same amount as gabby over 9 years within 5 years and is only 20 years old, when you look at Benteke who has scored 73 over 7 years and is only 23 years old, hell, even Grant Holt had scored 80-90 after 10 years.

I like Gabby, admire his loyalty but he isn't a great, I don't think he'd have survived at another club and he should be on the bench from now on.

While I agree his goal scoring rate isn't good I don't really think its fair comparing him to players who have scored a large portion of their goals in inferior or lower leagues.

Also unlike the players mentioned gabby hasn't played as a main central striker for 3/4 years. How many of the current squad have shown they're good enough to play week in week out for a team challenging top 4? Gabby has and I'd hope he's part of whatever rebuild happens this summer.

• Like 1

This might not be a popular opinion, but in my opinion the reason why his goals have slowed down is because in the last couple of years, he's had to play more out wide and become more of a 'provider' instead of an out and out striker.

When we had the likes of Young, Milner, and Downing we had players who could create chances for Gabby, and while he was playing up top he would get chances to score. While playing as the last man in attack, defenders had to second guess themselves, whether as to stick with him when he ran in behind or stay off him.

Ever since Houllier, Gabby was pushed out with into the forward left position and hasn't been the same since; as Bent and Benteke have taken the sole striker role, as more and more teams started playing 4-2-3-1/4-5-1.

When running directly into the box he could be devastating, as shown against many teams; Arsenal in the first game this season, Fulham and Norwich in previous seasons, Liverpool, etc, but when running into the channels, he's average. Sometimes he can get past his man and put in a brilliant cross though, something he's worked on in training.

If we buy another good winger to play on the left, and play Benteke upfront alongside Gabby, I think he would get more goals.

Edited by Jay.P.A

I'm willing to give Gabby one more chance to see what he can do under a decent manager with hopefully some decent players.  He was good enough when he was playing alongside the likes of Carew, Young and Downing, and playing for a pair of managerial turds like McLeish and Lambert who are two of the worst managers we've ever had can't be easy.  He's played out of position for most of the season, in front of a truly dire midfield in a team with no discernible motivation or tactics.

problem is he has had his chances. Houllier, McLeish and Lambert he has been too inconsistent for and has constantly sulked

While I agree his goal scoring rate isn't good I don't really think its fair comparing him to players who have scored a large portion of their goals in inferior or lower leagues.

Also unlike the players mentioned gabby hasn't played as a main central striker for 3/4 years. How many of the current squad have shown they're good enough to play week in week out for a team challenging top 4? Gabby has and I'd hope he's part of whatever rebuild happens this summer.

BJ10 - I've actually found a post of yours that I totally agree with.

Do we both need to go & consult a Doctor  or a psychiatrist? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Sell him, and use his wages towards a player who does it more than 5 times a season.

Anything more than £5m would be a bonus.

The loyalty thing always grates me,no other club in the league would have paid him the wages he has got here. That isn't loyalty, it is the comfort zone and he has shown zero attempts to improve as a player the last 5 years.

• Like 1

nobody will take him because

a. he isn't consistent enough,

b.he isn't good enough

c. he doesn't have a position

d. no team is stupid enough to pay him that contract

Edited by Zatman

For the £2-3M in wages saved, I'd let him go for half that. Gabby hasn't been good value since he was 23.

Shame really, Darius Vassell by any other name (although I actually think Vass did better for us)..

Obviously the role that Gabby plays has an effect on goals scored, much as it does with Weiman.

For a while last season, it worked perfectly & if 1 or 2 of the trio had a bad game, the other one delivered. There were times when all 3 were on form & it was frightening.

Unfortunately, this season hasn't seen the progression that we'd hoped for & expected.

I think there are far more important issues to address, further back before we even think about replacing Gabby or Weiman.

Â