Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

I can honestly see him retiring if we don't offer him a new deal.

He won't get anything like 60k a week from any other club, and I think he'll just think **** it, I'll just live off my millions.

A vision to the future with Premier League 'B' sides, except there will be 20-year-olds that are used to high wages and excellent facilities, refusing low contract offers, rather than a 30-year-old with 300+ PL apperances.

He won't get anything like 60k a week from any other club, and I think he'll just think **** it, I'll just live off my millions.

So you think because he can't get 60k he would retire and earn nothing rather than say earn 40k a week for the next 5 years? I don't think so.

Although he had a poor season Gabby loves playing for Villa, no way will he retire, he will accept a reduced contract or like Albrighton move elsewhere where they will pay those type of wages...

We're never going to get to where we need to with the likes of Gabby in the team.

He's paid too much and his output is too little.

I couldn't care less if he loves Villa as 35,000 odd people who attend most the home matches love Villa and I wouldn't necessarily want them in the team!

Either get rid or let his contract run out.

Edited by Brumstopdogs
  • Like 2

Other football - Marc albrighton - 50+ comments on how we should happily pay a bit part player £35k a week

Gabby thread - don't pay him £30k a week!

We all know he's inconsistent, we all know he's infuriating, but he's a 1st team regular, he's our record prem scorer, he's this he's that he's the other, he's worth £50k a week to 75% of the league, the likes of Stoke would snap him up and put him on that much, call him shit as you like, if he was up for transfer I'm in no doubt we'd flog him quick, we can moan all we like about how much gabby earns but the reality is we live in world where reserve team players earn £90k a week (looking at you lescott) and players who have never done anything can earn £50k a week (Sinclair) without breaking a sweat

It's depressing but thems the breaks

• Like 1

I willing to bet that the same posters saying we shouldn't give Gabby a big new contract are the same ones who had no problem with the release of Albrighton.

Retiring? That's bonkers - he's only 27. 

In terms of his Legend potential - he has 78 goals in 318 appearances - that makes him our 24th highest ever goalscorer and our 25th highest ever appearance maker. In 140 years, only three players have ever made the 100 goal, 400 appearance milestone - if he can do that then I think he'll have earned the badge - I hope he can ensure he gets the opportunity.

Not to be sharp on our recent history, but when it comes to Villa legends he's the best we've got at the moment, given the good seasons he had in the past. We are struggling for these. Ollie Mellburg the last, Laursen, whilst magnificent, was at the end of his time and wasn't with us for long.

Why would he even consider accepting a one year extension at the age of 27?

Because he won't get better offers anywhere else, and in our current situation any contract is a sign of trust.

He needs a kick in the back to get him going again. A short contract is the best way to do that. If he starts to perform again, open new negotiations early.

I like Gabby, even though he is limited. He's good enough for our squad, even if he isn't always good enough for the first 11. I would offer him a new contract on reduced wages next season. Assuming he's on £55k p/w, I'd reduce it slightly to £45k. Tell him the reason it's being reduced is because it will run until he's 31/32, and its the norm to pay less when players get old.

Â