Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

As a winger, he contributes a lot more than the scoring charts show. He is a striker, that is being played wide. This VT obsession with salary is just hilarious. Villa are maybe among the lowest paying clubs now. For a club the size of Villa, that is embarrassing. You get 6th place with the 6th highest wage bill, and you get 15th when the players you use are among the lowest payed in the PL.

• Like 1

Why would he even consider accepting a one year extension at the age of 27?

Because he won't get better offers anywhere else, and in our current situation any contract is a sign of trust.

He needs a kick in the back to get him going again. A short contract is the best way to do that. If he starts to perform again, open new negotiations early.

You are deluded if you think that. If Albrighton can get a 40k a week and a 4 year contract then Gabby would easily be able to get more if not the same.

Retiring? That's bonkers - he's only 27.

In terms of his Legend potential - he has 78 goals in 318 appearances - that makes him our 24th highest ever goalscorer and our 25th highest ever appearance maker. In 140 years, only three players have ever made the 100 goal, 400 appearance milestone - if he can do that then I think he'll have earned the badge - I hope he can ensure he gets the opportunity.

Not to be sharp on our recent history, but when it comes to Villa legends he's the best we've got at the moment, given the good seasons he had in the past. We are struggling for these. Ollie Mellburg the last, Laursen, whilst magnificent, was at the end of his time and wasn't with us for long.

Laursen was only 26 when he came to villa and was here for 5 seasons.

• Like 1

As a winger, he contributes a lot more than the scoring charts show. He is a striker, that is being played wide. This VT obsession with salary is just hilarious. Villa are maybe among the lowest paying clubs now. For a club the size of Villa, that is embarrassing. You get 6th place with the 6th highest wage bill, and you get 15th when the players you use are among the lowest payed in the PL.

Not really. We have spent the last four years trying to clear up the mess of paying mediocre players big wages that their ability doesn't justify and some of us have learned the lessons of this. Some clearly haven't as your post would exemplify.

Not really. We have spent the last four years trying to clear up the mess of paying mediocre players big wages that their ability doesn't justify and some of us have learned the lessons of this. Some clearly haven't as your post would exemplify.

When you say "we", do you mean VT has spent?? I am tired of hearing about wages. Those who has big salaries, deserve them on merit. That means Bent, Gabby, Delph, Benteke, Zog and Given. That is actually a really small bunch of "high earners" who at other clubs would be classified as low earners. The home grown players are under payed. There is no mess with salaries at Villa. It just a smoke screen for making supporters accept a small squad with low paid players that gives Villa low league positions. People here expect Lambert to sign superstars on 10k a week. Wake up call. Big club we are not anymore.

Well you may be "tired of hearing about it" but finances are part and parcel of the running of the club. The reason we have suffered in the last few years is precisely because we allowed the wage-bill to spiral out of control, you do know that right?

Why would he even consider accepting a one year extension at the age of 27?

Because he won't get better offers anywhere else, and in our current situation any contract is a sign of trust.

He needs a kick in the back to get him going again. A short contract is the best way to do that. If he starts to perform again, open new negotiations early.

You are deluded if you think that. If Albrighton can get a 40k a week and a 4 year contract then Gabby would easily be able to get more if not the same.
Well if he gets that four years 40 kpw elsewhere, it's tough luck for us I suppose. I'd be reluctant to pay for past performances. On the other hand I know we probably won't get anyone better to replace him, so I hope he stays but the contract is short. Edited by AVTuco

Well you may be "tired of hearing about it" but finances are part and parcel of the running of the club. The reason we have suffered in the last few years is precisely because we allowed the wage-bill to spiral out of control, you do know that right?

If Villa can't afford paying premier league wages, supporters should stop expecting something better than relegation battles every year. New manger or not, there is where Villa is staying. The wage bill is so low, that i don't beleive it is a problem anymore and has not been for a while.

If Villa can't afford paying premier league wages, supporters should stop expecting something better than relegation battles every year. New manger or not, there is where Villa is staying. The wage bill is so low, that i don't beleive it is a problem anymore and has not been for a while.

Are you just deliberately missing the point or what? We can afford Gabby's wages but he isn't worth those wages. No problem paying players big[ish] wages who's ability actually justifies them. Gabby's ability doesn't.

• Like 2

He's only lost a little of his pace, I've still seen him strip a few quality defenders this season, and he works well with benteke, you all know for a fact that if we sell him he'll start banging the goals in, we should persevere to bring that form out of him

I think the real problem was that the club paid all its players wages it couldn't afford in the long term. Just that our owner didn't appear to realise that at first. So almost all the players on that level of salary had to go, good, middling and bad. The issue of paying "mediocre" players big wages isn't relevant. It's not like we kept our good players and just sold off the "mediocre" ones, is it?

The idea that something magical has happened that means we can pay good players high wages if they are good enough is just wrong IMO. Not on Lerner's payroll, at ,least.

You do know that the wages went up during an effort to improve the fortunes of the club and that it was the failure of that effort that left them unsustainable, you do know that right?

I'd be pretty gutted if we lost gabby. We know he's good enough to be part of a top 6/7 team. We don't have many of those players.

Do we? Hes barely good enough for us and we've finished 15th for two seasons.

I wouldnt say he is good enough for 6-7 anymore to be fair. Been getting a free ride past couple of years imo. Def not worth the wages. Do you pay a player high wages for being loyal? Id say not, cant let our hearts rule our heads.

• Like 2

I think the real problem was that the club paid all its players wages it couldn't afford in the long term. Just that our owner didn't appear to realise that at first. So almost all the players on that level of salary had to go, good, middling and bad. The issue of paying "mediocre" players big wages isn't relevant. It's not like we kept our good players and just sold off the "mediocre" ones, is it?

The idea that something magical has happened that means we can pay good players high wages if they are good enough is just wrong IMO. Not on Lerner's payroll, at ,least.

Yes but the difference is that with the likes of Reo-Coker, Sidwell and Baye being on wages way beyond their ability is that nobody else would take them off us on those wages which means that either we have to continue paying some of their wages when they move, we have to give them away for next to nothing or that they just decide to see out their contract here. Which in any case, costs us a lot of money. Good players on the other hand are easy to sell. The biggest problem was that MON left us with very few actual assets.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

From reading the forums on here and elsewhere seems to me he's having a very lacklustre pre season, not scoring, not really doing much in the games, basically his 13-14 season bar the first 3 games, Liverpool and Southampton away and one other game I've forgotten.

Seems to me a case of him being told he won't be getting a new deal and he's just going through the motions which is disappointing as we need him on form to give us some spark upfront with our main two strikers out.

From reading the forums on here and elsewhere seems to me he's having a very lacklustre pre season, not scoring, not really doing much in the games, basically his 13-14 season bar the first 3 games, Liverpool and Southampton away and one other game I've forgotten.

Seems to me a case of him being told he won't be getting a new deal and he's just going through the motions which is disappointing as we need him on form to give us some spark upfront with our main two strikers out.

If he can't get motivated playing for the team he claims to love whilst getting paid 50ish thousand pound a week then I can see why we may not be offering him a contract.

Exactly right - he's been given more chances than most due to his Villa roots but enough is enough. 

• Like 1

Â