Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Is 67 goals over 9 years good enough?

I agree largely with OBE but when you look at players like lukaku who has scored almost the same amount as gabby over 9 years within 5 years and is only 20 years old, when you look at Benteke who has scored 73 over 7 years and is only 23 years old, hell, even Grant Holt had scored 80-90 after 10 years.

I like Gabby, admire his loyalty but he isn't a great, I don't think he'd have survived at another club and he should be on the bench from now on.

I really need to stop reading so fast! At first I thought you agreed with gabby getting an OBE!!

This might not be a popular opinion, but in my opinion the reason why his goals have slowed down is because in the last couple of years, he's had to play more out wide and become more of a 'provider' instead of an out and out striker.

When we had the likes of Young, Milner, and Downing we had players who could create chances for Gabby, and while he was playing up top he would get chances to score. While playing as the last man in attack, defenders had to second guess themselves, whether as to stick with him when he ran in behind or stay off him.

Ever since Houllier, Gabby was pushed out with into the forward left position and hasn't been the same since; as Bent and Benteke have taken the sole striker role, as more and more teams started playing 4-2-3-1/4-5-1.

When running directly into the box he could be devastating, as shown against many teams; Arsenal in the first game this season, Fulham and Norwich in previous seasons, Liverpool, etc, but when running into the channels, he's average. Sometimes he can get past his man and put in a brilliant cross though, something he's worked on in training.

If we buy another good winger to play on the left, and play Benteke upfront alongside Gabby, I think he would get more goals.

Even with those providers, his scoring rate was still low.

When he is up for it, he causes real problems for defenders, but he has always been inconsistent. I think he will find it more difficult to keep his place, and will be relegated to an increasingly substitute role. He is becoming a luxury player, and that is something we cannot afford. 

how is it that this guy (liverpool away being the prime example) can put a world class a la ronaldo performance, and go silent for the rest of the season?

I love Gabby, possible more than any other player in Villa's history. But he rapidly becoming a Vassell type player. Every year we would think would be his breakthrough year, when it all comes together and he would bang 20+ goals and dominate. Now Gabby is a much better player than Vassell and has done more for the club but at 28, Gabby's time to really do it is running out. However, we wouldnt get much for him, and he's still capable on his day of being unplayable and should stay as an impact sub at the very worst. I dont see any point in selling him. But it does make me sad that he hasnt really fulfilled his potential despite having no real excuses like injuries, drugs, booze or anything else. He just hasnt done it. Granted he has played in some absolute garbage teams but its still such a shame.

Villa legend or cult hero? The next few years will determine that.

I love Gabby, possible more than any other player in Villa's history. But he rapidly becoming a Vassell type player. Every year we would think would be his breakthrough year, when it all comes together and he would bang 20+ goals and dominate. Now Gabby is a much better player than Vassell and has done more for the club but at 28, Gabby's time to really do it is running out. However, we wouldnt get much for him, and he's still capable on his day of being unplayable and should stay as an impact sub at the very worst. I dont see any point in selling him. But it does make me sad that he hasnt really fulfilled his potential despite having no real excuses like injuries, drugs, booze or anything else. He just hasnt done it. Granted he has played in some absolute garbage teams but its still such a shame.

Villa legend or cult hero? The next few years will determine that.

depends on how many more kids he has  :P

Â