Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

He was the captain and he was deemed too fat to play football. Physical fitness is the most basic requirement to being a professional footballer, let alone being the captain at one of the biggest clubs of arguably the biggest league in the world..I can't even begin to express how angry I am and how unforgivable that is. Can you imagine a telesales executive vital to a business losing the ability to talk at his/her own fault, for a prolonged period of time, of which contributes to significant losses to the business.....to then be forgiven...all whist earning a staggering wage/salary?

Gabby epitomizes everything that was wrong with the culture of this club and needs to be removed, albeit in a diplomatic way.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Agree.  What sort of message is it going to give to the youngsters on the fringes if they see Gabby not giving a shit for ages, flabbing up and then still given yet another chance ahead of them.

The message that everyone is on the same level playing field irrespective of what has happened in the past. If you are considered the best available option you will get an opportunity. No biases, no favouritism.

Edited by Michael118

So basically people are saying you can take the piss out the club and the fans for the best part of two years but it's ok. As that's in the past and we move on and forget this?! Why cause he has finally decided he is a professional athlete and actually is putting in the hard work he should of been doing all along ?! But I guess posting a pic of car is much worse isn't it? 

I hate gabby for many reasons and can/will never forgive him for the way he has treated us. Not forgetting the fact he is just shit ! And I couldn't care less about this apparent attitude change. Too little too late. The mans a parasite and deserves all the hate and more. I just can't get my head around how anyone can forgive him or supports his reintegration into the squad. But hey that's why POV and that's the joy of living in a society that allows and tolerates differing view points with equal measure, and the fun of forums. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 2

I get @thabucks argument. I think I can see though a scenario where it actually makes sense to keep him at the club:

Let's say he gets his fitness up to a place where he can play competitively for half an hour every week or so. We may find teams come in for him as a bit of a punt. However, it's conceivable that he wouldn't want to move abroad given his family, so would only be interested in English clubs, and his wages are likely to rule out lower league teams, so that really only leaves Championship teams. I would personally hate it if he went to a derby or a Huddersfield type team, and his goals at the end of matches meant they converted 1 point into 3 a few times at the back end of the season. They could even mean we miss out on the playoffs.

If we get a situation where some of our rivals are sniffing around, I would much rather keep him here, than risk him helping them out. As much as I think he has shown a certain amount of unprofessionalism on a few occasions, the club has to act in the best interests of the club and maximise the possibility of promotion, even if that means keeping Gabby here.

Can somebody actually clarify the 'chances' he's had? Apart from the being fat and can't be arsed debacle of last season he has been a model pro (albeit not a very good one) in my book.

FYI, I'm of the opinion he's just not good enough to play and there are far better options than him currently.

1 hour ago, carewjust4u said:

Gabby epitomizes everything that was wrong with the culture of this club and needs to be removed, albeit in a diplomatic way.

I think the fact that he was able to get away with it for so long AND get a new contract epitomizes what was wrong with the running of the club. You can't really blame Gabby for getting away with being overweight or getting a huge salary it's the people who ran the club were at fault.

I do not dislike Agbonlahor in any way, but I cannot forgive his attitude over the last few seasons when we needed him.

Now that the club may be turning the corner he suddenly decides he wants to be part of it. Not for me. I am unhappy that he is even travelling with the squad.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I think the fact that he was able to get away with it for so long AND get a new contract epitomizes what was wrong with the running of the club. You can't really blame Gabby for getting away with being overweight or getting a huge salary it's the people who ran the club were at fault.

If your theory was correct, the entire squad would have done the same.

They were professional, Mr. Aston Villa was not.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well, I have seen people say Bruce is a great man manager. I agree with you, and for all the cut off nose to spit face hate, people need to realise there is a great potential asset there especially with AFCON in mind.

He is only an asset if gets him self fit to play and adds value to the team....its seems SB is giving him a chance to do that.

At present he is a liability to the club.....in his present condition.

A fit and firing Gabby, will enhance our chances of returning to the Prem and that is something that we all want.

I don't hate Gabby, despite me always having doubts about his overall game.

However, If Gabby wants to stay in these parts and be revered for the rest of his life.....He needs to get his finger out.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, carewjust4u said:

He was the captain and he was deemed too fat to play football. Physical fitness is the most basic requirement to being a professional footballer, let alone being the captain at one of the biggest clubs of arguably the biggest league in the world..I can't even begin to express how angry I am and how unforgivable that is. Can you imagine a telesales executive vital to a business losing the ability to talk at his/her own fault, for a prolonged period of time, of which contributes to significant losses to the business.....to then be forgiven...all whist earning a staggering wage/salary?

" don't look back in anger"

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Gabby is a not so bright (sorry if you're reading GA) guy 

For some reason when i read that i had an image of Norman Stanley Fletcher sat on his bed reading a letter to Bunny Warren. 

I'm just not sure that even if he gets back into shape he's an asset.  11 goals in 80 games over the last few years just isn't good enough.  Pace was his thing and that's not going to be there at 30 however ripped he is.  There was never a poaching instinct, a good footballing brain etc, great positioning - those are the things that prolong a career when the legs start going.

2 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

I know whats happening here:

Our scene opens in the concourse of St Andrews stadium.
A buoyant Steve Bruce hands Gabby Agbonlahor a match day ticket, having let him travel to the game with the team

"Take it son" he says in his distinctive soft geordie brogue, "you. deserve. this"

Gabby grasps it with the fervour and excitement with which he has grasped a dozen paternity tests and several contract expensions in the past. "thank you gaffer", he whispers before walking towards the entrance of the stand, "I know I have said this to the last 12 managers, but..but..... I wont let you down"

Bruce watches him depart towards the stand, a knowing look in his soft, fatherly eyes. In the shadows he sees a shadowy figure in an ill fitting suit and purple glasses. They nod. The deed is done. They part to go their separate ways, wordlessly

Cut back to Gabby, taking his two seats in the packed, crumbling stand. Suddenly, his nostrils twitch, a sour stench assaulting his senses......he hears the sound of knuckles dragging and barely human chanting. Aghast he looks around....something is wrong, very wrong.. rather than the sea of glorious claret he was expecting there is nothing but stained blue shirts and bad haircuts. Some of the specimins start looking his way....the murmuring begins, then shouting, then roaring

It dawns on him what has happened "Bruuuuce, you monster....Betrayal be thine name........" he bellows, but before he can say more, they descend, clawing, primeval, brutal...and Agbonlahor...... he was gone

:clap::clap: Haha, enjoyed that.

4 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

If your theory was correct, the entire squad would have done the same.

They were professional, Mr. Aston Villa was not.

Were they? Richards, Bacuna, Lescott, Okore... Grealish? 

I have forgiven all but one of those players and that's mostly because he's not here anymore to forgive. I'm kinda done with holding on to the misery.

We'll always have the inflatable cock with his face on it to look back to and chuckle... and respect to him for sticking to his word and wanting to come back from that, regardless what happens from here. The relationship was strained both ways was it not? 

Â