Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

How can you possibly know what his presence is like in the dressing room?

Some people are leaders in a different way, you don't have to lead by example these days to be popular and therefore influential

Equally how can others....just my opinion, as it is their opinion that he is influential.

Because he's been at the club longer than anyone else, we know he's meant to be a bit of a character off the field and he's synonymous with Aston Villa.

I find it hard to believe that he doesn't hold any sway in the dressing room.

I agree Trent.  His pace, had it have been set free more, is devastating to teams...and it's the kind of pace that doesn't need to be all that clinical because it can get him into easy tap in positions quite quickly. With hour firesale of managers, he's also been played in different positions with different managers seemingly having different visions for where his strength is.

I'm quite happy that he's got a new contract, he is one of those who can always pop up with the goods / go on the good run when you least expect it, and when you very well most need it.

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of Agbag, he causes trouble more frequently than his ability should allow and has scored some huge goals for us. That season we should have for 3rd or 4th under O'Neill he must have won about six pens. It was excellent and hilarious that defenders kept chopping him down.

If we're going to be under these financial constraints for the foreseeable future though, I can't agree signing him to a new 4-year contract on £50k+ a week is a good idea. However, in theory we should have a new owner in the next 18 months (please!) so money hopefully won't be as tight and we won't have to worry about it.

Once his pace goes, and it is wavering at the moment for me, he's done for, hope it holds out a few more years.

Edited by Tomaszk

Agreed, the role he played in the season before last when he returned to the side for the run in was vital for instance.

While Gabby frustrates me it also frustrates me that we've never really had a midfield that could make the most out of his ability to run in behind sides. That is true for his entire time here.

Imagine him in front of Arsenal's midfielders being fed in behind defences, he would kill sides.

Yes I know he isn't a good enough at finishing for them but the point remains, we've never ever made the most out of Gabby's attributes and that is our fault not his.

Gabby has throughout his career played for the team, done the leg work quite literally and never once grumbled about it or about it detracting from him playing as an out and out striker.

Limited? Certainly. Frustrating? Without question. But he is for many reasons a valuable and important member of the squad and one we are better with than without.

It is also nice, irrespective of the above and other valid criticisms of him to have a local lad in the side who you can actually believe cares in the same or similar way to we do.

I have been critical of Gabby and i really think he is limited and not worth a mega bucks salary,  but your opinion on him is making me warm to him!

I have been critical of Gabby and i really think he is limited and not worth a mega bucks salary,  but your opinion on him is making me warm to him!

I'm certainly not suggesting he is above criticism mate and he is limited but any/most players we have will be.

As for the mega bucks salary, it might be to us people in the real world but in the PL it really isn't even if it is one of the bigger ones at Villa. But that says more about us than the league or Gabby's worth relative to other players in the league.

• Like 1

On his day Gabby is unplayable, like against Hull recently and his finish was clinical.

Maybe now he is of a mature age he can add consistency to his game.

The one thing the detractors forget is that due to his rapid running speed he does pick up small niggles and injuries which hamper the consistency levels. Maybe he needs protection a little more from playing too much?

I like Gabby and he is synonymous with the team I love and although this doesn't give him a free pass he does seem to try hard even when things aren't going well for the team.

He'll always go down as a really good player for us IMO. More influential than many give him credit for. Villa through and through and scored some important goals as others have pointed out. A big part of his game is his pace though and that won't last, he got in a few headed flick ons against Hull. His turn and finish was pretty smart also. Could it be that they're trying to develop his game playing down the middle?

Mark, I just about agree on nearly everything you write, because your arguments are rounded and balanced and this one is no exception.

I have no enjoyment in making a case against gabby....I am just not as convinced as you are in his overall game.

He has scored a good haul of goals for the club, but sheer numbers is only part of the story.....match winning goals are rarely recorded like shearer and dalglish mustered, or even our own Andy Gray.....they get one when you need one....Dwight was a bit like that too...match winners.

Gabby has scored as many goals as previous players of the club who I don't think he was as good as.

He works hard in games and equally I have seen him not work so hard....albeit, could be said about many players I guess.

I do see what the pro camp see....just like him, not mad about him, I guess he is just not my cup of tea like Gray, little, Shaw, platt was.

TRO I can fully appreciate he is not everyone’s cup of tea and can totally understand why. He often frustrates the hell out of me as whilst I am one of those that values his worth way beyond his goal scoring record I feel he lacks consistency.

I do have to take a little exception to your statement above that he rarely scores match winning goals. Off the top of my head I can recall a couple of match winners against Sha, a match winner for our first win at Old Trafford in donkeys years, a match winner when we were in relegation mire under Houllier against West Ham, a brace against Norwich in a 2-1 win when we were in deep shit in 2013 and the winner at Reading a couple of weeks before, the winner away at Sunderland last season. The ones listed were all massive goals for us either in big games or in recent years games where we have been clinging on to our Premier League status.

I actually always feel that when the chips are really down or in the big games Gabby is one of the few players we have who can, as he has often shown, pull out a big performance and either score or create a goal for us. It is perhaps that which contributes to many being frustrated that he doesn't do it more often but I guess that is what separates him from being a good player and not a great one.

.....you have a better memory than me.

• Like 1

Mark, I just about agree on nearly everything you write, because your arguments are rounded and balanced and this one is no exception.

I have no enjoyment in making a case against gabby....I am just not as convinced as you are in his overall game.

He has scored a good haul of goals for the club, but sheer numbers is only part of the story.....match winning goals are rarely recorded like shearer and dalglish mustered, or even our own Andy Gray.....they get one when you need one....Dwight was a bit like that too...match winners.

Gabby has scored as many goals as previous players of the club who I don't think he was as good as.

He works hard in games and equally I have seen him not work so hard....albeit, could be said about many players I guess.

I do see what the pro camp see....just like him, not mad about him, I guess he is just not my cup of tea like Gray, little, Shaw, platt was.

TRO I can fully appreciate he is not everyone’s cup of tea and can totally understand why. He often frustrates the hell out of me as whilst I am one of those that values his worth way beyond his goal scoring record I feel he lacks consistency.

I do have to take a little exception to your statement above that he rarely scores match winning goals. Off the top of my head I can recall a couple of match winners against Sha, a match winner for our first win at Old Trafford in donkeys years, a match winner when we were in relegation mire under Houllier against West Ham, a brace against Norwich in a 2-1 win when we were in deep shit in 2013 and the winner at Reading a couple of weeks before, the winner away at Sunderland last season. The ones listed were all massive goals for us either in big games or in recent years games where we have been clinging on to our Premier League status.

I actually always feel that when the chips are really down or in the big games Gabby is one of the few players we have who can, as he has often shown, pull out a big performance and either score or create a goal for us. It is perhaps that which contributes to many being frustrated that he doesn't do it more often but I guess that is what separates him from being a good player and not a great one.

Clearly he does

• Like 1

As his new contract runs until he's 31, I hope Lambert/Fox told him that his wages need to reduce for years 2-4 of the contract, and have bumped him down to a more reasonable deal. Surely he won't still be on the £50-£60k that he's on now? That would be extremely unlike the Villa of recent years to give a limited player like him, a new deal on such high wages.

I actually always feel that when the chips are really down or in the big games Gabby is one of the few players we have who can, as he has often shown, pull out a big performance and either score or create a goal for us. It is perhaps that which contributes to many being frustrated that he doesn't do it more often but I guess that is what separates him from being a good player and not a great one.

Clearly he does

it wasn't meant to be sarcastic....Mark is very good at stats and i do take his point....I however maybe look/expect a bit more from him, that doesn't mean that i am ungrateful for some of the good stuff he does....against Hull I thought he was very good....Mark is also right he does score match winning goals, what i was alluding to was he doesn't score match winning goals often enough , for the plaudits he gets.

perhaps you could counter that by saying we simply don't win often enough...catch 22.

look I don't think anyone wants to see Gabby go.....some just rate him more than others.

Edited by TRO

Â