Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im amazed at the Lambert love in. I hate the way Norwich play, counter attack football is not the way forward, it has its limitations which is why MON never did any better than 6th. Plus whenever I see his interviews he seems a right miserable git, I dont like him at all.

Martinez would be a a better choice or Quique Flores would be my 1st choice. Flores said he wanted the job last time road and Im sure we can tempt him away from El Kababi or whatever middle east team he is at now.

His missus was alright too if I remeber correctly, I know that has nothing to do with football but its a nice added extra :lol:

I agree but if it's McLeish or Lambert then I'd take Lambert every time.

Much has been made (over the appointment of McLeish) of Randy Lerner's refusal to listen to supporters' views.

This thread is a perfect example of why he should continue to ignore them.

This. Paul Lambert is the new Owen Coyle. Remember the Owen Coyle for Arsenal nonsense?

Norwich will go down next year.

Im amazed at the Lambert love in. I hate the way Norwich play, counter attack football is not the way forward, it has its limitations which is why MON never did any better than 6th. Plus whenever I see his interviews he seems a right miserable git, I dont like him at all.

Martinez would be a a better choice or Quique Flores would be my 1st choice. Flores said he wanted the job last time road and Im sure we can tempt him away from El Kababi or whatever middle east team he is at now.

His missus was alright too if I remeber correctly, I know that has nothing to do with football but its a nice added extra :lol:

Sensible post. Obviously Lambert is better than McLiesh (bt who isnt) I dont see why the love in. Flores would be great.

Much has been made (over the appointment of McLeish) of Randy Lerner's refusal to listen to supporters' views.

Who do you want then?

Usual Source - take it or leave it:-

I don’t think we will get lambert – I doubt we will even try.

The key criteria last year was availability – Faulkner and Randy were convinced they had got Martinez – although Mcleish was on the shortlist –

it was never really envisaged that they would need to go to him.

Pretty much as reported the likes of Benitez, Ancelotti weren’t interested due financial restraints – Moyes was never considered as he was deemed not gettable. Hughes was never in the frame – not sure why.

The choice of manager pretty much come down to Faulkner – Randy had the final yes or no – but Faulkner did the spadework. When the Martinez offer fell through – Mcleish was the obvious candidate as he was pretty much available.

Theres no decision on Mcleish. At the end of every season there is a review – My Hunch is that if Mcleish can explain this years failures and convince Randy that next season will be better – he can keep his job. Randy isn’t much concerned by season ticket sales – reducing salaries will easily cover this.

My feeling is – if they don’t go Martinez it will be an out of work manager.

thetrees, no one is going to agree on a manager. As people like different personalities and styles of football. But most would still get behind them.

However, it was taking it to the 'not listening' extreme to appoint McLeish. Where, he wouldn't have been anyones choice. Due to an array of different reasons style of football, relegations, Blues etc

Usual Source - take it or leave it:-

I don’t think we will get lambert – I doubt we will even try.

The key criteria last year was availability – Faulkner and Randy were convinced they had got Martinez – although Mcleish was on the shortlist –

it was never really envisaged that they would need to go to him.

Pretty much as reported the likes of Benitez, Ancelotti weren’t interested due financial restraints – Moyes was never considered as he was deemed not gettable. Hughes was never in the frame – not sure why.

The choice of manager pretty much come down to Faulkner – Randy had the final yes or no – but Faulkner did the spadework. When the Martinez offer fell through – Mcleish was the obvious candidate as he was pretty much available.

Theres no decision on Mcleish. At the end of every season there is a review – My Hunch is that if Mcleish can explain this years failures and convince Randy that next season will be better – he can keep his job. Randy isn’t much concerned by season ticket sales – reducing salaries will easily cover this.

This is why we need to keep up the protest. I remember someone in the McLeish thread saying that we've won. No we haven't. This isn't over yet. We need to do everything we can to convince Randy to get rid of McLeish before pre-season, otherwise we're going to have to write off yet another season, and face the possibility of playing Championship football in 13/14.

Im not on board the Lambert bandwagon but i'd obviously have him rather than McLeish. But that goes for pretty much every manager in the world bar Steve McClaren.

Anyone would be a step up from the stool we have now...

Im not on board the Lambert bandwagon but i'd obviously have him rather than McLeish. But that goes for pretty much every manager in the world bar Steve McClaren.

Anyone would be a step up from the stool we have now...

I agree with this, I want McLeish to go and whoever we replace him with won't be any worse, surely?

Lambert or Martinez are the only real contenders that I can think of.

My #1 target is and has been since MON left Slaven Bilić, who's contract with Croatia is up this summer.

Careful now, we wouldn't want to infringe upon our PREMIER LEAGUE EXPERIENCE stipulation, it's worked so well for us in the past...

Perhaps his playing career will help him out, although I don't especially think he's a decent manager, or would fit.

Better than what we have, naturally, but then again I could probably fish out a few managers from Blue Square North that would have done a better job of 'keeping us up' this season if that was the main focus.

I think Martinez is the most likely, and obvious, choice.

We know Lerner likes him, we kind of know, from a VT poster that sat by him, that he would have liked to have taken the job, and Dave Whelan has said that he wont stop Martinez leaving in the summer and taking a bigger job.

Free: YES

Prem experience: YES

A portion of the fanbase like him: YES

Randy likes him: YES

Additionally...

He can get the best out of Zog: YESSSS!!!!!!

My #1 target is and has been since MON left Slaven Bilić, who's contract with Croatia is up this summer.

Careful now, we wouldn't want to infringe upon our PREMIER LEAGUE EXPERIENCE stipulation, it's worked so well for us in the past...

Perhaps his playing career will help him out, although I don't especially think he's a decent manager, or would fit.

Better than what we have, naturally, but then again I could probably fish out a few managers from Blue Square North that would have done a better job of 'keeping us up' this season if that was the main focus.

I guess it all comes down to personal opinion but i'd say his record with Croatia is pretty decent:

Croatia 1 August 2006 - Present P 59 W 40 D 13 L 6 With a win % of 67.80

I thought this thread was a perfect example of people being condescending and dismissive to anyone to had a different opinion to them

Randy isn’t much concerned by season ticket sales – reducing salaries will easily cover this.

I would hope that Lerner would be concerned by the reductions in season ticket sales after all it is his customer (and the most committed) voting with their feet.

Its not just the money lost in tickets either, refreshments, programmes, replica kits, commercial sponsorship, advertising etc. will all dip dramatically.

I have seen many a comment on here about attendances at our last few games and how the figures given would appear to be much higher than the numbers people think are in the ground. There would be a reason for this and I am sure most people would be able to work out why this would be done.......

Who do you want then?

Houllier was given no chance because he wasn't O'Neill.

McLeish was given no chance because of where he came from.

The next manager will be given every chance because he isn't McLeish.

All I want is a manager who sets a team up to compete (O'Neill did, McLeish didn't), and to play decent football, particularly at home (O'Neill didn't, McLeish had moments of trying but couldn't pull it off)

Martinez was my pick during O'Neill's tenure and remains so, but the style of play of the incoming manager is what is important to me.

Lambert is a nice guy who has done a tremendous job, but is too much like O'Neill for my liking, and we really do need to move our playing style much further forward than that.

I would happily take mid-table finishes with pleasing football at VP over consistent 6th with a long ball style and a large percentage of points earned away from home.