Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

What the club needs to realise is its all about the quality of the manager and not just having PL experience. After all none of Ferguson, Wenger et al had such experience when appointed.

Both were established managers, both had won their respective leagues, both had played European football, Ferguson winning European silverware. Both had developed several noted top players.

But back to Lambert; he has shown himself adept at taking teams places. He’s shown himself to be ambitious as a player and manager, with silverware to back it up. Whether he becomes the greatest manager I doubt it, but I think he will have the desire and ambition to take Aston Villa forward. He’s not the only one, but I think if he came he would restore pride which Houllier and McLeish have stripped away so easily

Totally agree as that was my point. The club apparently had 'premiership experience' as one of their major search criteria for a manager for the last two appointments. Perhaps unsurprisingly there are many good managers who have not managed in the PL.

Mind you if Lambert is a serious target at least he ticks that box if they are going to subbornly stick to it.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Usual Source - take it or leave it:-

I don’t think we will get lambert – I doubt we will even try.

The key criteria last year was availability – Faulkner and Randy were convinced they had got Martinez – although Mcleish was on the shortlist –

it was never really envisaged that they would need to go to him.

Pretty much as reported the likes of Benitez, Ancelotti weren’t interested due financial restraints – Moyes was never considered as he was deemed not gettable. Hughes was never in the frame – not sure why.

The choice of manager pretty much come down to Faulkner – Randy had the final yes or no – but Faulkner did the spadework. When the Martinez offer fell through – Mcleish was the obvious candidate as he was pretty much available.

Theres no decision on Mcleish. At the end of every season there is a review – My Hunch is that if Mcleish can explain this years failures and convince Randy that next season will be better – he can keep his job. Randy isn’t much concerned by season ticket sales – reducing salaries will easily cover this.

My feeling is – if they don’t go Martinez it will be an out of work manager.

Not sure I buy into all that.

My observations for what they are worth are:

We tried very hard to get Moyes. According to my contact in football management the footballing world thought Moyes was a done deal.

McLeish smacked to me of panic based on being turned down by better candidates. Why break the self imposed rule of not approaching an incumbent manager without their clubs permission?

It does not surprise me that Faulkner made the decisions. He's in day to day charge. MInd you it says volumes about his judgement.

I would be astounded if the club were not bothered by season ticket sales. Official gates are down by 5k this season. I would conservatively add another 5k next season if nothing changes so that is around £5m of ticket revenue.

Add say £2m for general apathy across the entire fan base refecting in merchandise, programmes, food, etc. Say we just stay up in 17th place that is roughly £7m less prize money to last season which means overall turnover is £19m or so less. I can't remember what our turnover was last year but I think that's about a 20% reduction in the pipeline.

In a business with lots of fixed costs which is already losing money if I was Randy Lerner I would be very worried which is why I think, and I would agree no formal decision has taken place without him putting his case, that McLeish is toast.

Regarding what Harry said - I didn't think season ticket sales really gave us much income. I thought the majority of our money came from Sky & Prem position (which will obviously lower).

Much has been made (over the appointment of McLeish) of Randy Lerner's refusal to listen to supporters' views.

This thread is a perfect example of why he should continue to ignore them.

I thought this thread was a perfect example of people being condescending and dismissive to anyone to had a different opinion to them

I think that the point was 30 odd pages dedicated to an individual who just happens to be flavour of the month, any individual, is not where the owner should be looking for inspiration.

I can understand that people like the idea of Paul Lambert, as many people liked O'Neill, so nothing dismissive going on here.

I think that the point was 30 odd pages dedicated to an individual who just happens to be flavour of the month, any individual, is not where the owner should be looking for inspiration.

i think its more of a fablour of a year than month. his achievements in his amangement career have been fanatastic and he still continues to suceed

Flavour of the month my arse, some people have short memories. Going back as far as the end of Houllier's tenure Lambert's name was being thrown about as an option/preference for some.

I might be inferring wrongly Mike but I think that's slightly damning him with feint praise. I think he's better than that. Some are looking for Moyes. I think he will prove to be every bit as good.

Flavour of the month my arse, some people have short memories. Going back as far as the end of Houllier's tenure Lambert's name was being thrown about as an option/preference for some.
Actually people have been throwing his name around since MON left. So much for flavour of the month.

Not really, he wasn't mentioned after MON left

I will grant you after GED left about 3% voted for Lambert

Both occasions Moyes was the stand out choice

Guess people are now resigned to him holding out for a bigger job

Specially for you, do a search under "Owen Coyle"

Page 2 of search results "next villa manager (poll added)" thread

Sit back and chew on the results

Lambert 3%

Benitez 4%

Hughes 5%

Moyes 48%

Lambert's named was mentioned regularly after Ged, it probably wasn't first choice for most because we did realistically believe the likes of Moyes would be interested.

I think a lot of people also mentioned wanting to see how he did in the Premiership first and given the squad and club he has, wage bill etc...he's done nothing short of a miracle keeping this team in the division, never mind happily sitting in mid-table for almost the whole season.

Back to back promotions and a comfortable season in the Premiership beating plenty of the big boys along the way is a fantastic achievement, one that should allow Lambert a chance at a bigger club like ourselves.