Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hughes may be sacked if QPR go down so that's an option for Lambeth to triple his money whilst playing at his level

Obvious Troll is Obvious

But I'm biting.

He spent one season at Championship Level, after coming straight up from League 1 and so having a relatively poor squad compared to the rest of the league, yet got promoted straight away.

And in the league above the Championship he's secured a midtable finish with, again, a much lower quality squad than his finishing position suggests.

How on Earth do you justify the Championship being "his level"?

Just would like to see lambert do another 12 months well at Norwich

His entire PL experience is just one season so far, unless I've missed a chunk of his career

So what you're saying is you haven't seen enough of him to decide if he's good enough for the PL?

So you've automatically decided he's only good enough for the Championship.

Sounds fair.

Just would like to see lambert do another 12 months well at Norwich

His entire PL experience is just one season so far, unless I've missed a chunk of his career

So after his consecutive promotions and his midtable Premier League finish (at a canter), you'd like to see him do another 12 months yet you yourself are sure that the Championship is his level. Jesus wept. Some people can't see what's staring them in the face. If you can't see that he's quality at this stage then your judgement is very very poor.

Beausejour, Al Habsi, Boselli (utterly disastrous signing at £6.5m), Stam, Di Santo, McCarthy, Diamé, Moses, Gómez and Scotland.

Martinez - biggest signing Al-Habsi.
Beausejour (£4.1m) and Boselli both cost more, Al Habsi was around £3.8m.

forgot about that boselli. he makes our heskey signing look shrewd.

so he has spent about 20 million in 3 seasons then?

So after his consecutive promotions and his midtable Premier League finish (at a canter), you'd like to see him do another 12 months yet you yourself are sure that the Championship is his level. Jesus wept. Some people can't see what's staring them in the face. If you can't see that he's quality at this stage then your judgement is very very poor.

Exactly. Yes he's only had one season in the prem. But it's about seeing potential, and he's got absolutely bags of it.

We either throw everything at him to get him now, or we dilly dally to see if he turns out to be as good as he can be, and someone else bigger and better snaps him up instead.

CI clearly just doesn't like Lambert for some reason, because I'm yet to see him give any sort of justification for him thinking he's shit apart from his recent results not being as good as the rest of the season. Nothing we can say will change that.

All I know is we have to get the next appointment bang on

Many peoples views are being impaired by the atrocious incumbent

Yes anyone seems better at this stage, lots of promoted teams and managers have a good first season but we all know the acid test is season 2

If anything, he deserves even more credit than is normal for a promoted side. Most people would say Norwich probably came up a season too early. That they played in the Championship with their League One side and ideally those teams need another season in order to re-inforce in the Championship before making an assault on the Premier League. Yet he came up and they've never struggled. Apart from after games 3, 4, & 5, Norwich have been midtable give or take; for the entire season. That's brilliant for any promoted side, but for one to come through 2 divisions and do it? And to then hum and haw over their manager? It's ridiculous to be honest.

Yes anyone seems better at this stage, lots of promoted teams and managers have a good first season but we all know the acid test is season 2

I wanted him before McLeish. So all this season has done is re-affirm my opinion. I was worried that he had done so well that we might even have missed the boat on him. But recent quotes from journalists have re-assured me that if we ask him, he will come. It's an absolute no-brainer.

But not many of those managers have preceded that with 2 back to back promotions in one of their first managerial appointments.

Look outside of the box, fella!

it's not all about results. It's how they manage the team, the squad they've got, the money they've had, the opinion of the fans, how his players play for him etc etc

I think many people also forget that he has won the Champions League as a player. He's not some no-namer from the depths of the English game. He has been there and done it. He's a winner and he has taken to management like a duck to water.

I wanted him before McLeish. So all this season has done is re-affirm my opinion. I was worried that he had done so well that we might even have missed the boat on him. But recent quotes from journalists have re-assured me that if we ask him, he will come. It's an absolute no-brainer.

Ditto, again.

Wanted him before McLeish. Even in the Championship it was obvious he was a very good manager.

Still want him, more than ever

Beausejour, Al Habsi, Boselli (utterly disastrous signing at £6.5m), Stam, Di Santo, McCarthy, Diamé, Moses, Gómez and Scotland.

Martinez - biggest signing Al-Habsi.
Beausejour (£4.1m) and Boselli both cost more, Al Habsi was around £3.8m.

forgot about that boselli. he makes our heskey signing look shrewd.

so he has spent about 20 million in 3 seasons then?

Spent about £36m, I think. Hold up...

09/10 - £14.9m

10/11 - £13.3m

11/12 - £10.9m

Total - £39.1m

Boselli's been the only high profile **** up, though. I imagine they'll make a decent return on the likes of McCarthy and Moses if/when they move on.

lambert would be my choice. a winner worked under lots of good manager and he plays "villa" football (rogers at swansea doesnt). he'd be a good choice and would be a great time for him to move personally as hed sidestep 2nd season syndrome and keep moving upwards....

I would love Lambert here, but what exactly is "Villa football"?

Without wanting to speak for iancharlie I can see what he is getting at.

Villa football for me is the team passing the ball and feeding 2 wingers who whip balls in with a striker to get on the end of them.