Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

Martinez, Rodgers, Lambert, Moyes, Di Matteo, Hodgson...

What makes you think we'd have any chance of Moyes? Can't see Hodgson being interested either.

we wouldn't have much chance i don't think but i don't think he's completely unobtainable..

If Hodgson doesn't get the England job then i see know reason why he wouldn't talk to us....

bigger than West Brom and he's not gonna be considered for a top 5/6 club...

Liverpool was his big chance and he failed

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read this about Martinez - don't know the authenticity but still - he could be free'd up this summer for us.

http://m.skysports.com/article/football/7715019

"He's doing a magnificent job," Whelan told the BBC. "I've always said Roberto will go to one of the top clubs in Europe and when that time comes he will leave Wigan with my blessing.

"He's just a brilliant manager and he will get one of the top jobs in Europe.

"I don't want to lose Roberto but it is inevitable he will climb the ladder."

I don't think he's talking about us, somehow.

Why not? Because we're not one of the top jobs in Europe? I think you're missing out the bit about the ladder. He's hardly going to go from Wigan to Real Madrid is he? And he's not exactly in the shop window for a big European side whilst battling relegation.

FWIW I think he's a bit overrated because of the run Wigan are on at the moment. He's done a good job overall but he wouldn't be my first choice.

Just read this about Martinez - don't know the authenticity but still - he could be free'd up this summer for us.

http://m.skysports.com/article/football/7715019

"He's doing a magnificent job," Whelan told the BBC. "I've always said Roberto will go to one of the top clubs in Europe and when that time comes he will leave Wigan with my blessing.

"He's just a brilliant manager and he will get one of the top jobs in Europe.

"I don't want to lose Roberto but it is inevitable he will climb the ladder."

I don't think he's talking about us, somehow.

Why not? Because we're not one of the top jobs in Europe? I think you're missing out the bit about the ladder. He's hardly going to go from Wigan to Real Madrid is he? And he's not exactly in the shop window for a big European side whilst battling relegation.

FWIW I think he's a bit overrated because of the run Wigan are on at the moment. He's done a good job overall but he wouldn't be my first choice.

As I recall, Whelan was saying we weren't big enough for Martinez last year when we were linked with him, and that's when we finished 9th and they were 17th. I doubt his view will be different after we finish below them Wigan.

Whelan very much is starting to remind me of doug

No doubt he'll be saying he plucked Martinez as a relative unknown off a beach in the costa brava blah blah blah, like a son to me etc etc

& then auction him off to the highest bidder

I can't believe you all aren't going mad for this guy, he is head and shoulders above Poyet and the rest. This guy is the next big thing, no doubt. Let me give you a run down so far of his career:

First Job in England was Wycombe, where he got them to the league cup semis, beating premier teams Fulham and charlton along the way, in the semis he even managed a draw with Chelsea at home before losing away. This was the first time in over 30 years a fourth tier team had got this far. He resigned from this position when they just missed out on the play offs.

He went to Colchester next and was there less than a year, the team flirted with the play offs but missed out in the end. On the opening day of the following season, colchester beat Norwich 7-1. Norwich sacked Bryan Gunn after that defeat and Lambert left colchester and became their manager.

In that season, he took Norwich straight up from league 1, winning the division, which is pretty impressive in your first season in charge (look at how we all say, 'well you need a pre-season and a season to get to know your squad, then bring in new faces blah blah). Then he went straight through the championship coming second, becoming one of very few teams in history to achieve successive promotion and the first since man city 11 years before. During Lamberts first two season in charge HE NEVER LOST TWO GAMES IN A ROW. Also Lambert's record in East Anglian Derbies (including his time as Colchester manager) stood as played 6, won 4, drew 1, lost 1, scored 25, conceded 7.

This season they have won 11, drawn 10 and lost 14 scoring 47 and conceding 60. When you look at the team, there are still players from league 1 in there and they really aren't premier league players on paper, indicating like MON, he can get players to play above their station.

They are safe and he has done all this on a shoestring budget. I think you could buy their team twice over for the price of benty.

In my opinion, this guy has learnt his trade very quickly, starting in the lower leagues and then propelling a team that was on the slide through two divisions and easily securing safety in the top tier with the team with the weakest players in the league by a mile. They are attractive to watch and hard to break down. Man city have smashed them twice this year 5-1, but I reckon that top quality teams are just a bit too much sometimes, they have beaten spurs, newcastle, swansea and alot of teams we haven't. (thats not hard tho eh!?)

You want a proven up and coming manager who can work on a budget, get the best from players, is a good professional and won't touch other clubs emblems or park the bus every time we play an 'elite' club? Well heres our man guys, this boy could get us striaght back up that table and I don't wanna sound like the general, but imagine what he could do if he was given some good backing in the market?? Make ni mistake, Villa are still one of the biggest clubs in the country and as always, could this man awaken the giant yet again?

He is my no 1 realistic target by a mile and IF Lerner got him, that would go along way to getting me back onboard and a step that says our chairman is learning the hard way, but lerning all the same. (see what I did there? Lerning? ok, ill get me coat )

I can't believe you all aren't going mad for this guy, he is head and shoulders above Poyet and the rest. This guy is the next big thing, no doubt. Let me give you a run down so far of his career:

First Job in England was Wycombe, where he got them to the league cup semis, beating premier teams Fulham and charlton along the way, in the semis he even managed a draw with Chelsea at home before losing away. This was the first time in over 30 years a fourth tier team had got this far. He resigned from this position when they just missed out on the play offs.

He went to Colchester next and was there less than a year, the team flirted with the play offs but missed out in the end. On the opening day of the following season, colchester beat Norwich 7-1. Norwich sacked Bryan Gunn after that defeat and Lambert left colchester and became their manager.

In that season, he took Norwich straight up from league 1, winning the division, which is pretty impressive in your first season in charge (look at how we all say, 'well you need a pre-season and a season to get to know your squad, then bring in new faces blah blah). Then he went straight through the championship coming second, becoming one of very few teams in history to achieve successive promotion and the first since man city 11 years before. During Lamberts first two season in charge HE NEVER LOST TWO GAMES IN A ROW. Also Lambert's record in East Anglian Derbies (including his time as Colchester manager) stood as played 6, won 4, drew 1, lost 1, scored 25, conceded 7.

This season they have won 11, drawn 10 and lost 14 scoring 47 and conceding 60. When you look at the team, there are still players from league 1 in there and they really aren't premier league players on paper, indicating like MON, he can get players to play above their station.

They are safe and he has done all this on a shoestring budget. I think you could buy their team twice over for the price of benty.

In my opinion, this guy has learnt his trade very quickly, starting in the lower leagues and then propelling a team that was on the slide through two divisions and easily securing safety in the top tier with the team with the weakest players in the league by a mile. They are attractive to watch and hard to break down. Man city have smashed them twice this year 5-1, but I reckon that top quality teams are just a bit too much sometimes, they have beaten spurs, newcastle, swansea and alot of teams we haven't. (thats not hard tho eh!?)

You want a proven up and coming manager who can work on a budget, get the best from players, is a good professional and won't touch other clubs emblems or park the bus every time we play an 'elite' club? Well heres our man guys, this boy could get us striaght back up that table and I don't wanna sound like the general, but imagine what he could do if he was given some good backing in the market?? Make ni mistake, Villa are still one of the biggest clubs in the country and as always, could this man awaken the giant yet again?

He is my no 1 realistic target by a mile and IF Lerner got him, that would go along way to getting me back onboard and a step that says our chairman is learning the hard way, but lerning all the same. (see what I did there? Lerning? ok, ill get me coat )

Can't argue with the facts. Lambert is my number 1 choice (and has been since last summer)

As I recall, Whelan was saying we weren't big enough for Martinez last year when we were linked with him, and that's when we finished 9th and they were 17th. I doubt his view will be different after we finish below them Wigan.

But Whelan doesn't get a say this time. Martinez is out of contract this summer and not intent on signing a new contract

I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Paulo Di Canio in charge.... at least he has some sort of passion for winning! And he's done really well with Swindon this season.... We aren't going to get a high profile manager if they do get rid of Mcleish because there's no money to spend!

This article mentions how McLeish's wife and children were targeted by our fans at the Bolton game? Is this true??

If so, I'm totally appalled of those who would steep so low. It is unacceptable and drags our name through the mud.

How do we know there's no money to spend?

How do we know that Lerner won't again back the new manager.

Rightly or wrongly wasn't this season all about bringing the wages down and not about money available for transfer fees?

I would hope that if McLeish does go at the end of the season then Lerner will make major funding available for whoever is given the job. If he doesn't then not even Ferguson would keep us in the Premiership next season.

Personally I think that they will let him stay as he seems to be signing new players in the summer, Holman and this Brazilian defender seems to be coming our way for £7m so maybe they are going to spend some money again....