Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lambert and Rodgers are precisely the type of managers we should be looking at, young eager with there own ideas. We will never be able to get the truly top coaches so this is where we should go. He's made many good signings and got the best out of them. Remember this side needs a massive overhaul, probably 5 or 6 players into the first team.

I would love Lambert here, but what exactly is "Villa football"?

Without wanting to speak for iancharlie I can see what he is getting at.

Villa football for me is the team passing the ball and feeding 2 wingers who whip balls in with a striker to get on the end of them.

yes just that - not arsenal pretty but whole hearted, exciting and end to end. ive seen various good versions of it from big ron to brian little and even MON to the bad of DOL and Eck. in my opinion it is players like Kevin Richardson, Ian Taylor, McGrath that embody the villa. They are just prepared and i think Lambert could get that out of our team.

Villa football for me is the team passing the ball and feeding 2 wingers who whip balls in with a striker to get on the end of them.

to be fair we haven't seen a good passing side a villa park for a long time!

lambert isn't a total football merchant but he's not exactly route one though either. he coudl do a job here i reckon, although if it's style you're after then martinez is more your thing.

i'd take zeman from pescara or try and get bielsa off bilbao (both never gonna happen)

lambert isn't a total football merchant but he's not exactly route one though either. he coudl do a job here i reckon, although if it's style you're after then martinez is more your thing.

i'd take zeman from pescara or try and get bielsa off bilbao (both never gonna happen)

Nope not at all. I know Lambert isn't total football ans total football doesn't really utilise wingers. I would expect us to play on the counter under Lambert with better retention of the ball than in recent seasons.

yes just that - not arsenal pretty but whole hearted, exciting and end to end. ive seen various good versions of it from big ron to brian little and even MON to the bad of DOL and Eck. in my opinion it is players like Kevin Richardson, Ian Taylor, McGrath that embody the villa. They are just prepared and i think Lambert could get that out of our team.

I will say the football in DOLs first season was superb, even Lee Hendrie looked a quality footballer.

Nope not at all. I know Lambert isn't total football ans total football doesn't really utilise wingers. I would expect us to play on the counter under Lambert with better retention of the ball than in recent seasons.

Brilliant, back to the style of play that will only get you as high as 6th place and for which MoN was villafied at the end of his tenure.

History goes around in circles but Villa fans have the memory span of goldfish.

We need root and branch changes at the club and a coaching infrastructure geared to us achieving champions league in the next 5-6 years. Not a quick fix that falls apart after two seasons.

I like Lambert, I like Rogers and Martinez more due to the playing philosophy they would instil. Not saying we would get instant results, but we would start to look after the ball much better and actually play teams rather than bombard them.

Do not take just whats on offer to get away from the anti football we are now experiencing. Now is an opportunity to build for the future with our kids and the right coach/manager.

As i've said before, we don't have the time or the patience to have ROdgers and Martinez come in and change the way we play. Another season of "transition" could see us suffer the drop for sure (we're close enough now)

I agree that the way we play may need to change if we're ever to make that step up to CL football. But what we need right now is someone who can come in and get the team performing like they should be and beyond.

Secure our premier league status and then look to kick us on up the table.

FWIW I think Lambert is capable of all of that. I think he plays the way he plays because it's the best he can get out of his squad. There's nothing to suggest he can't adapt. Hell, he's had to adapt to 3 leagues in 3 seasons.

I just don't see Lambert coming - or more precisley I don't see Faulkner \ Lerner having the nous to prize him away from Norwich.

If it is true that Martinez is out of contract - he would be favorite - other than that I can honestly see lerner going for Steve Bruce or KMAC in some director of football set up.

For me I dont know why Martinez is rated so highly by some. I remember last year before McLeish was appointed he was an unpopular choice. What has he done this season though to change opinions.

For me if Faulkner and Randy dont even attempt to tempt Lambert from NORWICH (no disrespect intended) but even in our current plight Aston Villa > Norwich.

For me I dont know why Martinez is rated so highly by some. I remember last year before McLeish was appointed he was an unpopular choice. What has he done this season though to change opinions.

For me if Faulkner and Randy dont even attempt to tempt Lambert from NORWICH (no disrespect intended) but even in our current plight Aston Villa > Norwich.

I wanted him. Still do. Still gutted we didnt get him.

So calm, and sticks to what he believes that always seems to get the right result in the end.

So calm, and sticks to what he believes that always seems to get the right result in the end.

I will agree with you there, his demeanour and attitude is right and I do like that about him and who knows if we gave him a chance at a bigger club and back him he may be a revelation. Look at John Gregory I was only young when he was appointed but I imagine he wasnt the most attractive appointments but did well.

I just dont think so, he has had some good players at Wigan and still has only scraped survival on most of his seasons there.

I will agree with you there, his demeanour and attitude is right and I do like that about him and who knows if we gave him a chance at a bigger club and back him he may be a revelation. Look at John Gregory I was only young when he was appointed but I imagine he wasnt the most attractive appointments but did well.

I just dont think so, he has had some good players at Wigan and still has only scraped survival on most of his seasons there.

Who are these good players?

Has he had them all at the same time?

Only Valencia has really gone on to better things and performed. Did Martinez even have Valencia?

Heard something from him after the Newcastle win that the better teams play in a style that suits the way he likes his teams to play , giving space and allowing you to keep the ball ( think Makoun v Man U and then Makoun v Blackpool )

The trouble for Martinez imay be that there are more pants teams in the Prem than good teams playing passing football that suits his style