Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We do need another poll because the "3%" thing means shit.

You could have a poll between McLeish and Iain Dowie and I bet McLeish would get a high %. Does that mean fans actually want him?

A simple Yes/No poll is what we need. Not a poll including Moyes, Benitez, Mourinho, Villas-Boas and Terry Connor.

The 3% is relevant & has put people back in their boxes

& yes we do need a poll.

Anyone would think the only available manager is Paul "outwhitted tactically by Mcleish" Lambert

Sit back and chew on the results

Sit back and chew on the month. Some of us have been saying Lambert for well over a year.

To be fair to CI, the 3% polll shows that SOME people wanted Lambert. But some people wanted Hughes, Rafa & Curbs. That doesn't mean they're also flavour of the month/ year etc.

CI's point is that Lambert (and presumably Rodgers & ... Pardew?) is this years flavour, therefore his name is being praised, like Coyle's was last season.

I see his point and I understand his concerns, even if you lot insist on this cannon of abusive bullying!!!!

(btw.. I'd like Lambert, Rodgers or Martinez :winkold:)

Wonder how many chelsea fans wanted Mourinho 12 months before he took over, how many Arsenal fans wanted Wenger 12 months prior, or how many chelsea fans wanted Di Matteo, how many Everton fans wanted Motes 12 months prior...

How is it relevant now though?

The original poll was a who do Villa fans want as manager poll. 3% clicked Lambert at the time because most, myself included, really really wanted Moyes. However, this does not mean that 97% of those who voted would have been unhappy with Lambert.

How was Lambert outwitted by McLeish by the way? Are you going to ignore any of Paul "outwitted Harry Redknapp tactically" Lambert's achivements?

I'm genuinely interested.

How was Lambert outwitted by McLeish by the way? Are you going to ignore any of Paul "outwitted Harry Redknapp tactically" Lambert's achivements?
Presumably because we beat them at VP, although what CI is ignoring is that we had a much superior line-up that day.

Even then, a single game is meaningless. Look at who Wigan have beaten recently. Going by CI logic, Martinez is better than Ferguson and Wenger. This is actually kind of ironic because he was calling Martinez "flavour of the month" and saying how crap he was shortly before Wigan started this impressive run.

Even if Lambert WAS MON mk2 (which I don't think he is, I think he could be better, but people compare him to MON because he wears glasses and is connected to Scotland or something), would that really be such a bad thing? For the short term if nothing else

Two Norwich season ticket holders that I have spoken to today described him as exactly that, without any prompting.

I would like to think, given all the crap that we have had to put up with, we could have the next appointment as someone who could build something to take us forward in the long term. I don't think some kind of reincarnation of the O'Neill days would achieve that.

Remember that O'Neill had his engaging and disarming personality to win over the supporters during the dour times. I am not sure that Lambert could get away with it like he did.

The dour times when we were finishing 6th? If that's dour then what are we now?

I'm not going to go into why I think he can be better than MON was (i've explained it enough already and it will just fall on deaf ears anyway).

But even if he WAS the same as MON, in our current situation, that would not be a bad thing.

We are not in our current position because of MON. Yes the way MON left was shitty, and he spent a lot of money badly, he had his weaknesses, which has contributed, BUT we're in this position because of crap managerial appointments (post MON) and cutting back of finances meaning everything that was built before had to be sold off.

Someone who can come in, lift the team, and get us up the table without spending much money is exactly what we need.

I don't care what football we play to get us out of the bottom 6. We don't have time to revolutionise the way we play and turn into a Swansea style passing team. We don't have the players. It would take time and signings and we can't afford that.

Get Lambert (or someone similar) in. Let him lift us up the table keeping a tighter constraint on finances, and then build from a position where we can afford to take a small step backwards to leap forwards. If Lambert hits a glass ceiling like you and others seem convinced he will, then we won't be in a position where everything falls apart when he leaves because we won't have to get rid of everyone (hopefully), and we can give someone else a chance to "play the right way" (I hate that)

Or, he will show (as I suspect he's capable of) that he can adapt and do that himself.

We are not in a position to hire someone who's going to take us into the champions league. it's not going to happen.

We either need someone to give us that interim of raising our quality and lifting us up the table or we need to take a chance on someone who might, just MIGHT, turn out to be a really **** good manager.

Lambert, imo, fits into both of those categories.

I think as much as Lambert seems to be a good manager, it's foolish to consider any new managers considering the ginger prick is sadly still running our club. It would be a shame for people to get their hopes up just incase Mcleish doesn't get fired. Wait till he is gone then we can really get excited.

I think as much as Lambert seems to be a good manager, it's foolish to consider any new managers considering the ginger prick is sadly still running our club. It would be a shame for people to get their hopes up just incase Mcleish doesn't get fired. Wait till he is gone then we can really get excited.

Knowing our luck Mcleish will beat Spurs and Norwich and Randy will see this as a glimmer of hope and keep him on

CI still hasn't offered any realistic alternatives.

Yes I have several times, you say they are unrealistic ? Yet they are all either managing smaller clubs than Aston Villa, in lower profile leagues, or they are presently without a club to manage. So how can you say that's unrealistic? Nobody knows what sort of money is going to release in the summer for new players, could be £0, £20m, £40m, £60m

Nobody knows

There are more managers out there than Paul "one season in the PL" Lambert and 36 pages on him is a tad embarrassing and overboard at this stage

The 3% is relevant & has put people back in their boxes

& yes we do need a poll.

Anyone would think the only available manager is Paul "outwhitted tactically by Mcleish" Lambert

I'm filing this one next to the 'Super Trouper is a good track' gem.

Why would he go for Lennon though? He doesn't even have PL experience.

I'm sure Lerner and Faulkner could twist that to their own means, and say "he's played in the Premier League for many years", etc.