Stan Petrov

LondonLax

Just going back to the 19th minute thing, I was amongst Fulham fans at the Fulham game and they clearly had no idea what was going on. I got some very strange looks for joining in. When the minute was up or nearly up, the Villa fans started a Petrov chant and the Fulham lot realised what was happening and joined in for a couple of seconds. Pity the chant can't come before the 1 minute applause, then the whole ground would be alerted to what's happening and I'm sure the immense majority of fans would willingly join in.

I certainly don't think the 19th minute applause should be dropped. What a kick in the teeth that would be for Stiliyan.

I don't think it should be dropped.

But neither do I think it should be forced upon other clubs. Part of the reason I like it so much is because it's relatively spontaneous. We don't need to be told it's the 19th minute and we should all clap. It just happens (although I realise at VP now they put stuff on the score board during it)

If fans of other teams realise what's going on and join in then fair play to them. If they don't know what's gong on or for whatever reason don't want to join in, then so be it.

Saying "it's the 19th minute, you must clap for someone on our team who's sick" to the opposition doesn't benefit anyone, imo.

Agree - we should stick to our 19th minute tribute and leave it up to other teams to join in or not. Most teams realise pretty quickly what's going on, plus with Spurs etc there's a mention in the match day programme to inform others of the great charity/support work that is continually going on for our captain.

Think this will have to stop eventually not the applause or anything but this "opposition fans didn't join in so they are disrespectful" as long as Villa fans do it that's what matters the most.

It's getting out of hand every week there seems to be an issue, I don't mean to be disrespectful but it's really getting annoying now (again not the Stan situation but the issues we have every week with opposition fans)

We're letting ourselves down if we start using Petrov as another way to get at rival fans. I know of some United fans who didn't know what to do during the 19th minute on Saturday. Some thought they were meant to stay quiet and respectful while we did our clap. Some initially forgot and by the time they realised, they were already being booed by the home support. The Petrov thing is supposed to be positive and supportive. It is our thing. It might come as a surprise to some, but fans of other clubs; even if they know about something through Sky; mightn't necessarily be fully well up on the etiquette around how or what to do in the 19th minute. We should get on with our support and let others choose to join in and we shouldn't assume the worst if they don't. But with football support being what it is, I know it's pointless asking a(ny) mob to show common sense when there's an opportunity to be outraged at someone else.

It's a pity and it's not what this started out to be.

The opposition fans really don't know what is going on in the 19th min. I was also sat with the Fulham fans at the Cottage and I explained it to a few people there. There were enough fans that didn't even know Petrov had been ill, let alone our response to it. It is not really fair for us to expect other fans to have the knowledge of our club that we do and I can't believe that 20,000 people were deliberately disrespecting Stan. Once explained the Fulham fans were dissapointed that they didn't know as they would have wanted to join in, I certainly would not want to be cursing them for it. Against Man U we took a couple of long term Villa fans who had not been to a live game for a few years and don't haunt the message boards. I had to explain it to them too.

Keep the 19th minute thing going and let it come from within. If the other fans join in that is nice, i really appreciate it, but we need to let it go if they don't.

On a slightly unrelated but related because of the respect thing. the minutes silence at the Man U game was the worst observed silence I can remember.

In regards to the minute silence i could hear some pisshead United fan (by the sounds of it, either outside walking down Witton Lane towards the away support, or sat in the upper Holte singing that stupid Nick Nack Paddiwack song that United sing.

^^ that's what I had heard but wasn't sure if certain... If they were singing that it's a disgrace, I don't care if away fans don't join in, and it's wrong of us to slate them for not doing so, but to sing offensive stuff like that shouldn't be going on

Please Accept My Apologies Villa

Yesterday evening, sat in the away section of Villa Park, it was annoying to see some of the United faithful let themselves down.

When the Villa support, as they have done since Stilyian Petrov was taken ill, stood and clapped in the nineteenth minute, I wanted our support to do the same, but no, several let themselves and the club down.

A tirade of abuse was shouted, much of which I have no intention of repeating on this web-site.

It sickens me when I hear United supporters moaning at other supporters about the way the Munich disaster is sometimes mocked when we, ourselves, as a group, can`t do the decent thing and observe our hosts fine ritual.

Aston Villa supporters, I`d like to offer my apologies for those idiots that don`t deserve to breath the same air as the rest of us.

Read more: http://www.mancheste...0#ixzz2C1UWmi1G

being s i havnt been to a villa game for a few years now, nor have i ventured onto this topic before, i didnt know about this either

seems a very nice gesture that should be kept, jut out of repsect, if other clubs dont know about it, dont force it onto them, if they do and join in, then so be it, the awareness is broadening

as for manure fans, you cant really expect them to respect other fans for whatever reason, they simply believe theyre above everyone else

as for fulham fans, they seem a decent enough fan base, never in the news for anything bad

Â