Stan Petrov

LondonLax

Met Stan a couple of times when my kids were mascots.

My eldest was lucky enough to accompany Stan onto the pitch. He took the time to ask him who he played for, what position he played etc whilst my youngest was totally blanked by the player he accompanied.

Top bloke, model professional.

I'm proud that he's captain of our club.

God bless you Stan and get well soon.

Just got home from a sea fishing trip and heard the news.......I'm gobsmacked to say the least!

Somehow the trials and tribulations of our season pale into insignificance now with this awful news. I don't know anything about the disease, but I guess the word 'acute' pretty much says it all. It just goes to show these things don't have any boundaries.

Sod the football. The health of one of 'ours' is paramount and I can only add my very best wishes to the many others for a speedy and full recovery for a genuine, honest player/man. Thinking of you and your family Stan.

Stan is the exact opposite of the stereotypical aloof, distant and even contemptuous professional athlete. He's always seemed down to Earth and just a good guy.

I like the idea of a minutes standing applause at the 19th minute. If the officials could stop the game too, that would be brilliant. How can we make that happen?

I'm pretty sure a team has done something like that recently. They stayed completely silent till a certain minute on the clock, then they all stood up and started cheering.

Why does it always happen to the good guys? Devastated by the news but everyone at Aston Villa and in the rest of the football community is 100 per cent behind you.

Like many have said, he is the model profesional, much like Muamba. And like him, you will fight back from this my Claret & Blue brother even stronger than before.

Pray4Petrov.

Stan should be honoured by the club with the retirement of the number 19 shirt. It's an unfashionable number but Stan's worn it with pride and made it worth something. I've enjoyed watching our number 19 giving 100% in our midfield over the last few seasons.

Steady on, I want him to wear that shirt again

Can understand vb's sentiments but I'm with bicks I want to see him in that shirt again.

Agreed.

I also would really like to see a fit and well Stan back in the no. 19 shirt with the captains armband. Realistically that's not going to happen.

The fact that Stan is very fit helps him and possibly means that after approx six months heavy chemotherapy he may well be heading for remission, by that time he will be slowly rehabilitating. Having a relative with the same illness I have seen that it is a long, painful and exhausting process.

Stan will be 33 years old in three months time, so his career is sadly over unless there's been an incorrect diagnosis.

VB, you seem all set to bury the poor bloke, talk of retiring his shirt number, saying his time at Villa is over.

Regardless of your own experiences with this illness, all cases are different and should be treated as separate.

saw this posted on another forum:

Its Acute Myeloid Leukemia that he has been diagnosed with. One of the more severe forms.

Yes there are treatments available but each case is different in how the body reacts. Chemotherapy may well work to get it into remission but if not then its Bone Marrow / Stem Cell transplant that he will need.

Stan is the exact opposite of the stereotypical aloof, distant and even contemptuous professional athlete. He's always seemed down to Earth and just a good guy.

I like the idea of a minutes standing applause at the 19th minute. If the officials could stop the game too, that would be brilliant. How can we make that happen?

I'm pretty sure a team has done something like that recently. They stayed completely silent till a certain minute on the clock, then they all stood up and started cheering.

That was a fan protest in Sweden. I don't know how they coordinated it.

It would be pretty amazing if the fans were silent until the 19th minute and then everyone stood up and applauded and sang for the rest of the game. I can't see how it could happen though.

So many more eloquent tributes from VT'ers above than mine - but just wanted to pass on my sincere best wishes to Stan and his family. Get well VERY soon, Captain.

Absolutely gutting news. Thoughts with stiliyan and his family.

McLeish is right in his recent comments - the old cliche comes into perspective here. Tbh, I couldn't care about the Chelsea result, but on the flip side I want us to go out there and show some passion and fight in the absence of our leader.

The things Petrov has done off the pitch is brilliant, welcoming new signings, helping them to settle in, charity work, understanding fans and our frustrations and coming out to offer us reassurance. He's a real professional.

It's our turn to offer you some reassurance now - we're all right behind you.

Get well soon Stiliyan, fight strong our friend/leader

This is put so beautifully! We need our leader so get well as soon as possible Stan!!!!!

Oh ****, I'm behind and only just read this and I'm gutted just gutted.

I can't be with you today as I'm in Australia but I will be with you standing clapping and probably crying in the 19th minute for a wonderful Villa servant, not the best Captain nor player I have ever seen but Stan has never hides when the going gets tough and I know with the same determination he can beat this awful illness.

Good luck to you in your recovery mate, you have many many 1000's of Villans with you wishing you the best

Do him proud today lads, forget Mcleish make it a wall of sound for Stan!!

All the best to Stan from us Mackems

Thanks for that BorisBear.

We are in your corner and we are backing you all the way to pull through captain. You face a tough battle but you are a true fighter. Stay strong Stiliyan you can beat this thing!

Just come home to read this and I'm absolutely gobsmacked!

Had the pleasure of meeting Stan a few times when he's been over in Dubai and him and Barry joined our group to watch the Champs league final in 2010.

A truly lovely bloke! I'm shocked and just hope he can fight this!

Â