Stan Petrov

LondonLax

Awful news in every way. Top professional and he seems like a top bloke.

I doubt he will play for us again, yet his thoughts should now be on his health and his family. Football comes second to this.

My thoughts are with him at this very difficult time and I pray that he pulls through this.

Just heard the news now. Stunned. Terrible news.

If there is anyone who can overcome this, it is Stan, he is one of the most upbeat and positive players I've ever seen. Hopefully his natural disposition puts him in good stead to beat this thing.

He's got a lot of people in his corner, and that can only help, too.

Get well, Stan.

I've refrained from posting in this thread whilst trying to collect my thoughts. I simply couldn't and still can't put it into words how I feel right now. Totally stunned.

My heartfelt best wishes go out to him and his family.

Tragic news

Puts our season into perspective I think

One thing I'll say is that the man is a hell of a fighter which will stand him in good sted

It is cancer, not a heart condition, thus him being a fighter has got nothing to do with his chances either way. Not being an asshole here, it's just that I have some history with this condition and know that it is not something to be spiritual about. You don't survive cancer because you are fighting it with your will power, you survive because of surgery and/or chemo. If you have terminal cancer, you will not survive because of happy thoughts and wishes, but I guess people like to believe that to ease the sorrow.

Shocking news non the less, Petrov is Mr. Villa in our squad right about now and seems to love the club. Thank god we have that little distance in points between us and the clubs beneath.

**** hell, can we not turn this into a religious debate? You might have your own thoughts about the matter and you are entitled to that. People are just sending their best wishes in whatever way the see fit. If that means praying then so be it. It's not about religion, it's showing you care.

I don't think it was a religious point, more about perceptions of cancer.

Danny Baker made the point well, talking about his own throat cancer, saying something like: 'You don't fight cancer - the doctors and the drugs fight it; your body is the battleground'.

If you're praying/rooting for/keeping your fingers crossed for anybody, make it the medical staff.

Only a few days ago i put forward the idea that since Stan was quite obviously coming to the end of his career with us he should be considered as manager of our club if AM was sacked and now this.

I can say whole heartedly that on the pitch i was never one of his greatest fans but without doubt he gave us 100% whenever he played and has always been a great captain and ambassador for our club.

I am very deeply saddened by the news and sincerely hope that we see him play in our colours again, even should it be a very well earned testimonial.

Get well Captain.

Stan your a top bloke and an absolute gent when i met you.....

you've never given anything less than 110% for Villa and we are proud to have you as captain...

i'm sure you'll beat this **** and we'll see you lead us out again..

UTV

I'm hoping as they've caught it early and he's going to be getting the best possible treatment we will see Stan back to lead us out one day

He's been a brilliant captain and im proud hes a real good face of Aston Villa

But attitude is so important in how the awful treatment period is borne both by patient and importantly how the patients family are able to transverse that path with them.

Believe me I should know.

So whether a positive attitude can influence the outcome is open to debate. But a positive attitude can only help that treatment journey and help the close love ones who have to share that journey, cope with it in the best possible way. There's one thing those medical professionals will be doing there damndest for him.

Get well Stan, we care all rooting for you!

Stan should be honoured by the club with the retirement of the number 19 shirt. It's an unfashionable number but Stan's worn it with pride and made it worth something. I've enjoyed watching our number 19 giving 100% in our midfield over the last few seasons.

Steady on, I want him to wear that shirt again

Can understand vb's sentiments but I'm with bicks I want to see him in that shirt again.

Agreed.

I also would really like to see a fit and well Stan back in the no. 19 shirt with the captains armband. Realistically that's not going to happen.

The fact that Stan is very fit helps him and possibly means that after approx six months heavy chemotherapy he may well be heading for remission, by that time he will be slowly rehabilitating. Having a relative with the same illness I have seen that it is a long, painful and exhausting process.

Stan will be 33 years old in three months time, so his career is sadly over unless there's been an incorrect diagnosis.

In case this hasn't been noticed by people

Early Diagnosis Critical

The 32-year-old Aston Villa captain was diagnosed with the disease after developing a fever following last Saturday's defeat to Arsenal.

Professor Chris Bunce, research director at Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research, said the condition is often not identified in younger patients because it is so rare.

About 200 people in their 30s are diagnosed with the disease in the UK each year, the charity said.

Prof Bunce said: "Thirty-two is certainly a young age to develop acute leukaemia. It is much more common in people in their 60s.

"Because it is so rare at that age, it is sometimes not diagnosed quickly enough.

"But being in a health awareness environment such as professional football, with the benefit of a medical team, could be crucial for Stiliyan. The earlier treatment is started, the better chances of survival.

"He will be able to take more aggressive therapy because he is younger. And being fit should mean he will respond better to the treatment.

"At the moment we don't know what type of acute leukaemia he has. Different sub-types have different prognoses than others.

"Very young patients often make a full recovery. However, the survival rate for people in their 60s is appalling. For intermediate patients there is a 40-45% survival rate.

"There is every possibility Stiliyan could return to be a very fit and healthy human being. He's certainly young enough to make a full recovery."

Â