Stan Petrov

LondonLax

I may be clutching at straws here and i certainly am in the camp of wanting Gabby gone..... but if anyone could humble Gabby into pulling his head in it might just be Stan.... even with just his presence in the change rooms might be enough to control his attitude and make him try harder :blush:

Absolutely delighted with this. Could be an excellent character in the dressing room. This gives RDM and team a real opportunity to see what his fitness is at. Real win-win situation IMO. FWIW here's the 

BBC Article:

Stiliyan Petrov: Ex-Aston Villa captain to resume training with relegated club

Sharethis page
Stiliyan Petrov
Stiliyan Petrov made the most recent of his 218 Villa appearances on 24 March 2012

Former Aston Villa captain Stiliyan Petrov is to resume training with the first team, after more than four years away from football.

Petrov, 36, has been recovering from an acute form of leukaemia, which was first diagnosed in 2012.

But he has now been invited to join up with Villa for their pre-season training camp in Austria on 7 July.

The 105-times capped Bulgaria international is still hopeful of making a return to football.

And, although it is now three years since he officially retired from professional football,Villa have always kept the door open for him.

He is now looking to improve his fitness ahead of the new season, as he needs group training at a level higher than that at which he has been playing.

He has initially been invited to train for a month on a non-contract basis with Villa, who start life in the Championship with a trip to face Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough on 7 August, having been relegated to the second tier for the first time since 1987.

Petrov's battle with leukaemia 

Petrov was then Villa boss Martin O'Neill's first signing when he arrived from Celtic for £6.5m in August 2006.

He first showed symptoms of leukaemia after developing a fever following a 3-0 defeat at Arsenal in March 2012 and was diagnosed with the disease a few days later after making 218 appearances for Villa and more than 500 in British football. 

He had four months of chemotherapy before it was announced in August of the same year that the disease was in remission.

Fuelled by the love and support of the Villa fans, he has since set up a foundation to help leukaemia sufferers.

BBC WM's Mark Regan on Petrov

"For both sides this makes a lot of sense.

"Petrov can continue to get fitter and fitter in an environment he's familiar with around people that respect him.

"For Villa, if he proves to be fit enough to make a return to the game then they'll surely have first refusal on his services. 

"He'll learn a lot about how his body is when he joins up with Villa in Austria and flies into his first 50-50 challenge.

"But the very fact that he's at this stage is nothing short of remarkable and says an awful lot about the man himself."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

37 next week, I still thought he was around 33-34.

It's a lovely story but I'd leave it at that and get him involved in the coaching side. Massive ask to think he can compete at a high level again.

If he passes the relevant training/fitness/whatever things they put players through (which I used to think were stringent but with Gabbys escapades I'm not so sure !) then why not have him in the Squad ?  Simple as that for me......he passes the character and ability tests easily.

• Like 1

A massive inspiration to 1000's.

It would shock me if, after 4 years out, he could come back at this level. I have no issues whatsoever in him trying to. To have him around the training ground would have a positive impact and if he was needed to cover for the odd game then I'm sure he'd cope.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

Goalkeepers play comfortably into their 40s no? Get him in for Guzan!

Seriously though, this shiza is some Hollywood story, fair play to him.

Yeah if they intend making a film about vardy ( I know it was maybe tongue in cheek) then surely this is a real Hollywood story - watch it on true movies!  :-)

• Like 1

I'm sure RDM isn't considering that a 37-year-old Petrov could be a first team regular next season, but if his fitness and ability seem up to the task, then I'd love to see him make some appearances late in a game, to see out a win.

If not, his influence around the squad will be enough alone to warrant a place at BMH and the pre-season training camp. He's a true professional who others in the squad can look up to, and will hopefully stop some of the negativity that some players have seemed to create.

• Like 3

I think its great to have him back at Villa, and i do believe his presence alone would have a massive impact on the entire squad.

However, i'm not convinced that he is going to be up to the level required to get a lot of games or game time.

I've also read that what he wants is to be playing football as often and as much as possible.

So if RDM doesnt think he will play a lot of games he wont be staying.

Fingers Crossed for him though - above anyone associated with villa in recent times Stan deserves a break!

If he puts more effort and looks fitter and better than any of our current squad then they should be **** embarrassed to call themsleves professionals

i don't think he'll get a contract but I can see a fair few poisitives from it

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I'm sure RDM isn't considering that a 37-year-old Petrov could be a first team regular next season, but if his fitness and ability seem up to the task, then I'd love to see him make some appearances late in a game, to see out a win.

If not, his influence around the squad will be enough alone to warrant a place at BMH and the pre-season training camp. He's a true professional who others in the squad can look up to, and will hopefully stop some of the negativity that some players have seemed to create.

Exactly. 100% this.

2 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Come in Stan. Show them how it's done. Great news. I hope RDM and Clarke see enough in him to give him a contract. Although he'd probably play for free!

He probably would pay fro free, what a true Villa hero. Maybe he'll serve as an apprentice under RDM and Clarke...

On 13 June 2016 at 02:03, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Desperation by whom? If he's fit and he can play to a level we require, where's the desperation? If he's not, don't sign him. Pretty simple really. I'm not seeing the downside to that arrangement.

desperation by us, not finding a younger model.

If ........a little word with a big question attached. What are you going to do wait 10 games to find out?

Sorry, i don't see a future in signing 37 year old players.

Stans attitude is exemplary and his ability welcome.....but for me its not a progressive fit.

The young and hungry was always a good shout.....we just didn't get them young and hungry......maybe the young without the hungry.

Edited by TRO

Â