Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, nick76 said:

They’ll be too worried something in their backyard would be wrong to push this. Can’t see anything serious happening here to City.

I’m usually in the same boat as this and I don’t see them getting relegated but with the severity and length of it I can’t see the PL letting them off easy. Especially with the government breathing down their necks.

Edited by Aston_Villan4

1 hour ago, stewiek2 said:

The investigation only goes up to 17/18 season. I presume that's all the info the hacker got. Imagine the cooking of the book's they've got up to since.

Only a few weeks ago they posted higher commercial revenue than Real Madrid and Man United. They aren't that global behemoth of those two clubs at all. So they're still up to the dodgy dealings.

They’re also in trouble for not assisting with the investigation post 2018 apparently, so it’s a bunch of stuff that they think they know about plus whatever has gone on in the past 5 years and which City seem to be trying to conceal.

It’ll be interesting to see exactly how much of this gets released publicly because the outcome of this really could be pivotal for the longevity of having FFP.

• Like 1

Premier League 2009 - 2019: *ignores all the flagrant abuses, sponsorship loopholes, creative accounting etc amounting to financial breaches* Oh, look at City go! 6 titles! Amazing!

Also Premier League, 2023: You've been breaching ALL the rules for YEARS! We're coming for you!

What's next? Investigation into Chelsea in the year 2031?

**** ridiculous league.

So far, these rules have been a paper tiger. While that must change for the integrity of the sport, where is the evidence that this time is any different? Why won’t Citeh go to a court of sports arbitration or continue to throw their money at litigation that the league can’t afford to counter indefinitely? 

The reality is: money wins and that same money gets you out of the consequences. 

I would be v v surprised (and utterly overjoyed) if something significant did happen, but I need to see more from the League to be confident

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

How can the premier league carry on by brushing any of this under the carpet. Citeh are basically saying we do not respect your rules, what are you going to do about it. The league has pointed to those exact rules today. The punishment for breaking those rules will have to be sufficient to prevent any other clubs from doing likewise. Honestly don't see Citeh getting away with this.

One of the most powerful and marketable teams, who are one of the ring leaders of the Super League breakaway which they got no punishment for either.  The PL are too scared, nothing of note will happen because City are more powerful in the two sides of this.  

Not only that it’s likely other elite clubs have some similar practices so none of them will push it behind closed doors while being at best some public condemnation of it.  

These elite clubs know they are so powerful together that they will work together and the PL are too scared.  

I don’t expect much from this, especially of any note plus it will go on for a long time before any minimal punishment will be handed down.

When money is involved at this elite level, nobody is going to mess with that and everybody involved gets too much cash from the status quo so nobody is going to risk that.  Just life unfortunately!

8 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

The premier league simply cannot ignore this now. It's beyond football. HMRC should, if they aren't already, be on the case. Fraudulent contracts all over the place, false company financial reports posted to Companies House. This is Serie A level of fraud/corruption.

They will get a slap on the wrist.

Most of it relates to the purposely withholding of accounts and evidence to back it up.

They tied everyone in knots due to the financial clout they carry but it has all crumbled now.  

To make it go away,  all they need to do is show the documents but they can't,  for obvious reasons.

They basically ruined a lot of seasons as they knew they had an unfair advantage and capitalized on it at the expense of other teams,  players and fans.

"This is Serie A level of fraud/corruption", I believe it is a lot worse than that.  Industrial scale is needed for it to go on so long.

Should be points and transfer ban at a minimum that effects them in all ways,  status,  league, money.  They need to suffer bad.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I’m usually in the same boat as this and I don’t see them getting relegated but with the severity and length of it I can’t see the PL letting them off easy. Especially with the government breathing down their necks.

I just don’t see it…money looks after money!  Too many n both sides invested, neither are going to mess with that significantly

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

They will have to disprove 100 allegations.  Something significant will stick.  Not even john gotti  could get out of this 

It will all get thrown out, or they'll get a tiny insignificant fine.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

They will get a slap on the wrist.

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I just don’t see it…money looks after money!  Too many n both sides invested, neither are going to mess with that significantly

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Absolutely nothing will happen.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is insane.

Are you all just afraid to get your hopes up? Because from what I've seen, it actually seems likely that they're going to pay a devastating and deserved price.

• Like 4

Let's say they are stripped of all cups and titles and they are handed to the runners up. This would include such feats as-

Stoke City being 2011 FA Cup winners

Sunderland 2014 League Cup winners

Watford 2019 FA Cup winners

What odds for Pep to Chelsea either in the summer of before the end of the season?

4 minutes ago, est1874 said:

It will all get thrown out, or they'll get a tiny insignificant fine.

The fine they get will be enormous, comparatively. Its just that they exist in a world were 'enormous fine' amounts of money could be found down the back of the sofa.

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

The fine they get will be enormous, comparatively. Its just that they exist in a world were 'enormous fine' amounts of money could be found down the back of the sofa.

Insignificant is the key word, which just speaks to the same thing you're saying really.

Â