Confirmed: Brett Holman from AZ.

Oaks

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He appears to be sporting an Alice band. Thats a bit 1998 frankly and doesn't bode well, unless he turns into the new Benito Carbone. But then he has been signed by Mcleish so I'd wager it will be more probable he will turn into the new Benny from Crossroads.

Oh I'm newish..again, so forgive me if I breach any arcane rules of etiquette. Well, until I do so deliberately obviously.

What kind of player is he? Who would you compare him too?

Are we going to do a Levante and sign up loads of cheap freebies? (which wouldn't be a bad idea given our current financial predicament).

Any idea what wages he is on? Around 35k I'd guess.

On FM2012 he is on 6.25K a week

Are we going to do a Levante and sign up loads of cheap freebies? (which wouldn't be a bad idea given our current financial predicament).

I would guess less that 35k.

It's a bit of a shame that we have gone for him when there are better players out there we could have gone for on a bosman.

Anyway, I will welcome him and hope he does well.

We could still sign other Bosman's too yer know.

From the OS:

0,,10265~10597519,00.jpg

Aston Villa confirmed today that Brett Holman has agreed to join the club in the summer when his contract with Dutch Eredivise league leaders AZ Alkmaar will expire.

The 27-year-old wide midfield player has been capped 53 times for Australia having made his international debut in 2006.

He began his career in Australia before moving to Holland and joining Feyenoord in 2002.

A loan spell at SBV Excelsior preceded a move to NEC Nijmegen in 2006 before he joined AZ Alkmaar in 2008 at the beginning of their championship-winning season.

Holman's form both domestically and in Europe has made him a coveted property.

In 2011 he won the Australian Football Media Association's Player of the Year and his appearances for Australia over the past two years have comfortably exceeded the requisite 75 per cent of games in order for him to be eligible for a work permit.

His high-tempo, energetic style has made him an integral part of the Socceroos team and he was the only player to feature in every one of their FIFA World Cup qualifiers for the 2010 tournament in South Africa.

He also scored two goals in their three games at the finals.

Villa manager Alex McLeish said: "Brett is a very intelligent player, a great team player and a man who is recognised in the game as a non-stop, committed wide midfield player.

"He has international experience and he has played in the Champions League and at European level for the past few years. He will add significantly to the experience in the Villa squad."

Brett Holman said: "I'm delighted to have agreed terms with Aston Villa and I am looking forward to joining up with the team in the summer.

"Villa have a long and prestigious history in English football and a fantastic set of fans.

"In the meantime I have a job to do with AZ in trying to finish the season as Eredivisie champions, as cup winners and progressing as far as possible in the Europa competition."

From the OS:

0,,10265~10597519,00.jpg

Aston Villa confirmed today that Brett Holman has agreed to join the club in the summer when his contract with Dutch Eredivise league leaders AZ Alkmaar will expire.

The 27-year-old wide midfield player has been capped 53 times for Australia having made his international debut in 2006.

He began his career in Australia before moving to Holland and joining Feyenoord in 2002.

A loan spell at SBV Excelsior preceded a move to NEC Nijmegen in 2006 before he joined AZ Alkmaar in 2008 at the beginning of their championship-winning season.

Holman's form both domestically and in Europe has made him a coveted property.

In 2011 he won the Australian Football Media Association's Player of the Year and his appearances for Australia over the past two years have comfortably exceeded the requisite 75 per cent of games in order for him to be eligible for a work permit.

His high-tempo, energetic style has made him an integral part of the Socceroos team and he was the only player to feature in every one of their FIFA World Cup qualifiers for the 2010 tournament in South Africa.

He also scored two goals in their three games at the finals.

Villa manager Alex McLeish said: "Brett is a very intelligent player, a great team player and a man who is recognised in the game as a non-stop, committed wide midfield player.

"He has international experience and he has played in the Champions League and at European level for the past few years. He will add significantly to the experience in the Villa squad."

Brett Holman said: "I'm delighted to have agreed terms with Aston Villa and I am looking forward to joining up with the team in the summer.

"Villa have a long and prestigious history in English football and a fantastic set of fans.

"In the meantime I have a job to do with AZ in trying to finish the season as Eredivisie champions, as cup winners and progressing as far as possible in the Europa competition."

Awaiting the Macron conspiracy posts

On FM2012 he is on 6.25K a week

I guess we will be paying him significantly more.

we probably trebled it to £20k

low risk for us, relatively speaking, massive payday and a move to the premiership for him

I would guess less that 35k.

I would guess significantly less, around £20k tops more realistic given that he's likely to have been on less than £10k in holland.

I'm just gonna take this on face value, free signing with significant international and european football experience with recent pedigree of being a part of a successful club, english speaking and as above unlikely to be commanding high wages.

Pretty much best we can expect I would imagine given the losses we recently announced along with the cost cutting exercises we all know about.

Could be good, could be shit, could be middle of the road, time will tell.

Hmmm. clearly didn't cut it at feyenoord and got farmed to two bollocks dutch teams before going to AZ where they don't seem to arsed about keeping him even though they are on for the champions league this year. my fear of the dodgy bosmans similar to rangers seems to be starting. probably irelands replacement. the next one will be olic in for bent as the wage bill gets slashed. worrying times ahead

never heard of him...as usual ill wait til he wears a villa shirt before judging. welcome to villa mate.

oh and i was saying the other day to my mate when did we last sign a player no one had ever heard of? well now we have...nice to see our scouts aren't just sat on their sofas twiddling their thumbs

little in wages = little risk...lets keep em coming. ship out the shite and bring in more like this. who cares if they dont work out we havent lost much if they dont