coda

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Squad depth is just so so poor for a title winning side iyam. Although i said that for last year and they was fine. (although they ran hotter than the sun when it came to injuries and putting first 11 on the pitch)

Edited by gharperr

Squad depth is just so so poor for a title winning side iyam. Although i said that for last year and they was fine. (although they ran hotter than the sun when it came to injuries and putting first 11 on the pitch)

Their squad depth is awful, until they signed Bahman they had 5 defenders.

Their forwards are 1 world class but injury prone striker, a decent but inconsistent premier league level striker and a former world class striker who has dropped a couple of performance levels.

The squad depth is so poor because Mourinho sticks rigidly to his first 13 players, even then the other two get the junk minutes.

Nobody wants to be part of a squad where you are never going to get a look in at all. Luis, De Bruyne, Schurrle, Lukaku. There is four off the top of my head that would be great to have, that were cast aside because they weren't happy to play 4 minutes a month.

Salah is another one, bought to stop Liverpool getting him then never utilised adn loaned out. He made World Soccer team of Serie A and he barely played half a season so must have talent

One thing I'd say about Chelsea. Everyone seems to be digging at Terry and Fabregas after Sundays game.

However I dont think I have ever seen Ivanovic look so wobbly as he does right now.

Normally the guy is an absolute machine and through pace and strength it is almost impossible to get past him. However Sterling and Montero both gave him a real roasting in a way I have not seen before.

Granted it is only two games and both against top class opposition but it surprised me and no doubt did Mourinho too.

Whatever Mourinho says this has been a pants start by a complacent team. No doubt they will recover and be right up their but nice to see City give them a bloody nose to kick off the season.

Ivanovic has aged 5 years overnight.

Sometimes players legs just go, and his have gone.

I heard the same thing about Terry. Chelsea have always been a defensive counter attacking team under Mourinho. They sit deep with a flat back four and then hit teams on the break. If their midfield and forwards don't bust a gut running and tackling then there's too much space for the opposition and their slow defenders Ivanovic, Terry and Cahill look like mugs. The players just look undercooked at the moment and not fit.

The problem lies with mourinho and his inability to change tactics/formations/players. He has a very specific requirements for his players and if you don't fit in (e.g. Mata/Salah/De Bruyne) then you're gone. It's why his shelf life is only around three years. He hasn't shown that he can build teams, he can just buy them.

Edited by villa89

Terry and Ivanovic could very well have aged 'overnight'. As they both played a lot last season, their bodies got into the routine of playing, training, playing again throughout the campaign. General fitness, state of the art training facilities, muscle memory all helped them to keep up the rigorous pace.

In the close season, once taken out of that routine, the body has to wind itself up back up again. With natural ageing, fatigue and the loss of the top-paced routine there's nothing they can do to get back to the peaks of last year.

It's kind of like overcharging a battery, and I think those two in particular will struggle for at least the early part of this season. 

They didnt win a single game preseason in 90 mins either did they? Remember them getting spanked 4-2 with a full strength side against NY Red Bulls, lost 1-0 at home to Fiorentina, lost community shield, should have lost to Swansea, could have conceded 6 at the weekend if it wasnt for Beggar. Nailed on for relegation with Sunderland

• 1 month later...
Â