• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is Mourinho's 13th season as a manager.   In that time he has won: 

7 league titles

2 champions leagues

1 UEFA cup

4 "main" domestic cups (FA cup or equivalent) 

3 league cups

He is pretty much a guarantee of silverware.  Who's over rating him? 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Mourinho in the media saying Man City should have received a points penalty for breaching FFP, then arguing that Chelsea are forced to be smarter and manage their resources better to stick to the FFP requirements, and that he prefers it that way.

This from a guy who made his name on the back of a bottomless pit of money.

Mourinho in the media saying Man City should have received a points penalty for breaching FFP, then arguing that Chelsea are forced to be smarter and manage their resources better to stick to the FFP requirements, and that he prefers it that way.

Not really, he won UEFA Cup & Champions League back to back at Porto to make his name.

• Like 1

chelsea are currently playing FFP by buying a ridiculous number of players that they have absolutely no intention of playing and then selling them on for a profit

FFP isnt right, man city happily spending £200m a summer isn't right but chelsea having 26 kids out on loan isn't right either

• Like 1

This really isn't true. He made a £6.5m profit in his 2 Euro-winning seasons at Porto. He made a profit in his treble winning season at Inter. More to the point, Inter completely collapsed without him.

I really don't think it can be overstated how good Mourinho is. There's so many seasons where he wins the league by a large points tally too. Winning the league is impressive, but the way he does it is incredible.

• Like 2

i dont think theres a suggestion that he buys success but there's certainly one that he's gone from big fish to big fish, his success at porto does nothing to dispel that, the worst team he's had is probably inter who had won the league 3 years on the trot before he got there (juve less serie a) 

dont get me wrong i think he's a great manager but he rides waves

But that's what good managers do.

They get recruited by the big clubs because they're good. They're hardly going to take a job at a smaller club just to prove they can do it there too are they?

i dont think theres a suggestion that he buys success but there's certainly one that he's gone from big fish to big fish, his success at porto does nothing to dispel that, the worst team he's had is probably inter who had won the league 3 years on the trot before he got there (juve less serie a) 

dont get me wrong i think he's a great manager but he rides waves

When was the last time Inter won the European Cup? How did Inter do in this super-easy Serie A after Mourinho had left? And if you're going to use the argument against Mourinho that Inter had been winning titles before him, Porto hadn't won the title for 3 years before Jose took charge, then when he left them as European Champions, they didn't win the title and failed to make it past the Ro16 in the CL.

I do find it quite amusing how Klopp and Simeone get mass praise for failing to win the CL. Mourinho actually wins it while making a profit with a club much smaller than Dortmund/Atletico and people still often knock it.

• Like 3

But that's what good managers do.

They get recruited by the big clubs because they're good. They're hardly going to take a job at a smaller club just to prove they can do it there too are they?

Spot on.

Does anybody think Guardiola is going to manage a Europa League side anytime soon? Same goes for world-class players, once they establish themselves as such, will only play for clubs of a corresponding level.

i wont rate him as one of the best ever until he takes control of a team that isnt the best / 2nd best in the country and wins the title

and the inter champions league winning team, he bought lucio, sneijder, eto'o and milito, the other 12 players in the squad were already there when he got there, out of the 16, 11 were over 30 (2 were 29) so its not surprising that they fell to pieces after he left (although Leonardo set a serie A points per game ratio record so they werent that bad) 

Chelsea were probably 3rd best in England when he took over behind Arsenal and United

also if you watched any Inter game in Europe under Mancini they were absolute awful, think season before Mourinho took over they played Liverpool and was honestly one of worst performances by a team in a knockout game ever 

Edited by Zatman

i wont rate him as one of the best ever until he takes control of a team that isnt the best / 2nd best in the country and wins the title

So even if he won the title and/or Champions League every season for the next 20 years you wouldn't rate him unless he did it with a team that wasn't the best or second best in their country

Â