coda

They should be perfectly fine, depending how you define fine... They'll still compete, still spend money, still be the top London club, win cups, they've got a year or two to sort themselves out post pep and maybe klopp when I'd expect the level in general to dip slightly 

They still have massive commercial potential 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

They were average before roman came in. They were getting spanked every season by arsenal before roman came in.

Hopefully  they get  terrible owner gives us a chance to catch them in next ten years.  Its very very unlikely they will get another owner like roman

They won 6 trophies in the decade before Abramovich took over and qualified for the Champions League twice

These are their league finishes before Abramovich: 4th, 6th, 6th, 5th, 3rd, 4th, 6th, they also won two FA Cups in that time. Historically before he arrived they hadn't been that succesful, probably comparable to a team like West Ham or Wolves in terms of trophies won, but they were having a relatively (relative to their past) succesful time of it in the five or so seasons before Abramovich brought them.

They were on the brink of collapse before Abramovich took them over

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2005/oct/17/newsstory.sport9

Chelsea were on the brink before takeover

Roman Abramovich's buyout of Chelsea almost certainly rescued the club from having to default on a £75m loan that would have plunged it into financial crisis. In the latest extract of the Chelsea FC: The Official Biography, serialised in the Guardian today, the club's chairman Bruce Buck has detailed the extent of Chelsea's financial position before the £140m takeover in the summer of 2003.

• Like 2

The sad thing about Chelsea relying on ”loans” from Roman is that it paints a bleak picture for other aspiring clubs.

Decent size fanbase, the most successful and profitable academy in England, playing in CL almost every season and sometimes winning - still there’s a hole in the finances almost every year.

It will be interesting what pans out as they have been subbed by  Abramovich for years. They are limited by Stamford Bridge's capacity and the plans for a new stadium was dropped a long time ago. They will probably be even more reliant on the  buying loads of young players and then selling them  funding model for a while yet.

They will still be an attractive proposition given the size of the online/tv following globally, and its west London location. It doesn't really matter so much that within England they are not that a well followed club when compared to Liverpool, United, or Arsenal.

50 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It will be interesting what pans out as they have been subbed by  Abramovich for years. They are limited by Stamford Bridge's capacity and the plans for a new stadium was dropped a long time ago. They will probably be even more reliant on the  buying loads of young players and then selling them  funding model for a while yet.

They will still be an attractive proposition given the size of the online/tv following globally, and its west London location. It doesn't really matter so much that within England they are not that a well followed club when compared to Liverpool, United, or Arsenal.

I always thought they are a much more 'boutique' club compared to Man City or United.

Yes, they are limited in capacity, but even if VP was to expand to 60k they would still bring in more funds via commercial/hospitality means. I am sure the world's most powerful people visit Chelsea more frequently compared to Liverpool, and the London location plays a part in this. 

They have a good business model - having 753 players on loan doesn't feel right to you or me, but it makes commercial sense. 

Much like Man United, they have flown too high to now fall down drastically. 

56 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yeah i think there's one house in the shadow of Stamford Bridge and the owner constantly objects to any expansion hahaha

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

What a complete word removed

Yeah, after he turned my views on him almost a complete 180 degrees with his time here I have to admit I’m edging back toward him being a complete knobhead again now what with his NFT bullshit and now this kind of stuff.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Yeah i think there's one house in the shadow of Stamford Bridge and the owner constantly objects to any expansion hahaha

Its also down to Cuddly Ken Bates. The Chelsea village complex significantly reduced the potential capacity of Stamford bridge. It was a huge site for a London club. They obviously thought at the time that 40,000 was plenty big enough.

11 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

You would think Roman could have called Vlad in for one of his favours

I love the way Abramovich said "net proceeds" from the sale will go to Ukrainian victims of the war. 

So he spent 150m buying the club and Loaned the club 1.5bln so any sale price above 1.65 bln will give a net profit for him which he can give to victims. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I love the way Abramovich said "net proceeds" from the sale will go to Ukrainian victims of the war. 

So he spent 150m buying the club and Loaned the club 1.5bln so any sale price above 1.65 bln will give a net profit for him which he can give to victims. 

I suspect he’ll end up selling for less than £1.65b for a variety of reasons.

15 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Exactly. So nothing goes to any victims of the war. 

yes its bs. theres no doubt hes been great for Chelsea. Made them one of the top clubs in world football but the man is no philanthropist. Hes out to protect himself. 

Â