coda

I think that's probably a good sign for Chelsea and their supporters - he's realised that in order to best serve the club he needs to distance himself from it and so he's done that, or at least tried to.

I think this is something that benefits Chelsea more than Abramovich, although I'm sure he's hoping it'll help reduce the pressure on govt to separate him from his asset.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

At our level he's put his business in his wife's name so that if anyone comes for his assets then strictly speaking it's not his, not sure if he's ever made money from the club or if it is all his other ventures by association which in theory won't stop

Maybe also very well thought out that he's passed it on to a charity rather than actually his wife, not sure what ruckus that would cause if they did come for it 

I think there's a little of this, but it's not what he's done - he's still owner, he hasn't passed on the asset, or for that matter any sort of obvious control - he still owns and can fund Chelsea, his CEO will still be running the club and making the decisions behind the scenes on all the football stuff - it'll be very interesting to find out what "stewardship" actually means from a legal perspective or indeed if it means anything at all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think there's a little of this, but it's not what he's done - he's still owner, he hasn't passed on the asset, or for that matter any sort of obvious control - he still owns and can fund Chelsea, his CEO will still be running the club and making the decisions behind the scenes on all the football stuff - it'll be very interesting to find out what "stewardship" actually means from a legal perspective or indeed if it means anything at all.

His assets have been frozen and he isn’t allowed to reside in the UK under the current sanctions. Not sure he can be writing cheques for Chelsea currently 

1 minute ago, kidlewis said:

His assets have been frozen and he isn’t allowed to reside in the UK under the current sanctions. Not sure he can be writing cheques for Chelsea currently 

I don't think so? He's not had any sanctions yet, though they may follow of course. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I wonder who is gonna make the decision on Lukaku now?

The CEO.

He's still the owner, the CEO is still the CEO.

Stewardship is a very strange word - it might mean that they have the ability to start a search for a new owner.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

From what I’ve read he absolutely cannot be in the UK. 

There's some talk about immigration officials being told not to let him into the UK which is unconfirmed, but to be honest, it's pretty clear that he wouldn't want to be here right now anyway - he'll want to keep himself somewhere where he's not open to arrest.

I meant he can still invest in Chelsea - right now there's nothing to stop him doing that.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

He literally is continuing as owner.

Yep. I’m not sure why there’s so much conjecture about all this. He’s installed a puppet regime to front things but will still be pulling the strings from a distance. I wonder where he got the idea from?  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yes, I think it's something and nothing. 

Just putting his ownership into the fridge till this blows over. 

Unless the Government sanction him personally.  He's not handed them the club, he's handed them stewardship of the club.

Not so sure. I think it's the beginning of the end for him. That announcement doesn't mean much in itself - but I think he will either scale back or end his ownship in due course.

• Like 1

How many times does he use the word “I” in a short statement about a famous old English football club? It’s always, always, about him.

“During my nearly 20-year ownership of Chelsea FC, I have always viewed my role as a custodian of the Club, whose job it is ensuring that we are as successful as we can be today, as well as build for the future, while also playing a positive role in our communities. I have always taken decisions with the Club’s best interest at heart. I remain committed to these values. That is why I am today giving trustees of Chelsea’s charitable Foundation the stewardship and care of Chelsea FC.

I believe that currently they are in the best position to look after the interests of the Club, players, staff, and fans.”

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

Said before Chelsea are in a good spot, if they stopped Abramovich 10/15 years ago it might have made an impact 

How do you make it a good spot?

If he is forced out or decides to leave, their existence will rely almost entirely on whether or not he feels like calling in the debt on the money they owe him.

• Like 1

Interesting that the Chelsea charity trustees have not agreed to take stewardship of the club.

If they refuse or find a way in which they're not legally able to take control of the club, then Roman is back to square one, the asset is at risk and Chelsea's future is up in the air.

Â