London 2012 Olympic Games

maqroll

Track and field is all I bother with. And even then, any races over 1,000m can sod off. The rest of it you can keep.
After the event(s), do you still feel the same way?

I must say all the extra exposure and publicity that came with London hosting has been a real eye opener for me.

I never thought I sit there for hours watching things like double trap, fencing and rowing.

The fact that it came and went so quickly, and the realisation that this country won't have the games again in my lifetime has really hit me hard man. I didn't expect this !

For me, it's more the fact that prior to the games I had no idea that I'd be so interested and emotionally involved in them.

By the time I realised how amazing they were, I desperately wanted to be involved and to witness some of it, but alas neither was possible.

And now, they have gone, and probably won't return this century.

It's the realisation that in not going to the games, I missed a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I've been to two Olympics now and I've only just turned 30.

It really isn't a 'once in a lifetime' opportunity.

Track and field is all I bother with. And even then, any races over 1,000m can sod off. The rest of it you can keep.
After the event(s), do you still feel the same way?
No, not at all actually :lol: I was an idiot and off the top of my head I loved everything except anything that involved a horse.

The fact that it came and went so quickly, and the realisation that this country won't have the games again in my lifetime has really hit me hard man. I didn't expect this !

For me, it's more the fact that prior to the games I had no idea that I'd be so interested and emotionally involved in them.

By the time I realised how amazing they were, I desperately wanted to be involved and to witness some of it, but alas neither was possible.

And now, they have gone, and probably won't return this century.

It's the realisation that in not going to the games, I missed a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I've been to two Olympics now and I've only just turned 30.

It really isn't a 'once in a lifetime' opportunity.

But to experience it infront of a home crowd, at an age where you can really appreciate it and join in with the festivities, certainly would appear like a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Perhaps I'll get another chance one day, but I suspect I'll be knocking on retirement by the time it comes to the UK next.

So who is going to win BBC SPOTY
I wonder if they'll cop out and make it a one-off award to the whole of Team GB? Not sure how they'd do that when it's a popular vote, but still.

Assuming they don't, I think it's a close call between Wiggins and Farah.

Nah I don't think they'll do that, there's a "team of the year" award which will go to team GB. Which is right to be fair. After beijing they gave ti to the cycling team which was right. But this time everyone's done so well that I think it should go to the whole Olympic team.

SPOTY will be Farah I reckon. It should be Wiggins, but I reckon after Cav winning it last year it'll go to a non cyclist.

SPOTY will be a three way battle between Wiggins, Ennis and Farah. Like Stevo said, it will probably go to a non cyclist this year after Cav won in in 2011 and Hoy in 2008, and I'm sure the BBC will mention a few times that nobody from Track & Field has won since 2004 (Kelly Holmes, obviously)

3Bg4A.jpg

If I had to pick now I'd say Farah. Double gold medal winner. The picture with Bolt (overseas personality winner btw) is one of the defining images of the summer. I think everybody was expecting him to win the 10000m and he delivered what the nation wanted (much like Ennis) but that 5000m gold was **** epic. Did Ennis give the nation a real edge of the seat moment? Winning the 800m in style was fantastic, but we all knew the gold was in the bag anyway.

If I had to pick a couple more winners I'd say lifetime achievement to Seb Coe. He is a politician these days, but he was without a doubt the best middle distance runner in the world thirty years ago. Golds at two Olympics and multiple world records. His 800m WR stood for sixteen years, which is very impressive.

Coach of the year I'd give to Rob McCraken (Boxing). It's him or Brailsford again and even though McCraken is a bluenose I think he deserves it. Brailsford won in 2008 and I'd imagine he will be getting another letter from the Queen in the new year too.

Olympic food market petition has 5,000 signatures

A petition demanding refunds for traders at a "disastrous" Olympic food market has attracted 5,000 signatures.

Local traders invested about £20,000 each for stalls on the new Olympia Market in Leyton, east London.

One trader said they had been "sold a lie" that 80,000 people would pass through it daily when hardly any did.

Waltham Forest Council said it had not received any money while contractors Skateco said it was "astounded" the council had distanced itself.

The petition states that traders were mis-sold pitches and that some had lost £27,000.

The chief executive of North London Business, a not-for-profit company that was one of the contractors, has resigned over the market which is near the Velodrome and Basketball arenas.

Speaking from the market site, BBC London reporter Jason Rosam said it was no longer open and that it was not going to reopen for the Paralympics which was the original plan.

Tsitsi Makoni, a carer who ran a food stall at the market, said she had lost £5,000 which she knows she will not get back.

"Right now I'm just heartbroken. I really feel cheated and robbed and I just want answers as to why we were sold a lie," she said.

In a stall holder information pack, traders were told that 80,000 people would pass through the market each day.

"We were told as Londoners that this was the greatest opportunity and that everyone was going to benefit," she added.

'Reassured'

The success of Transport for London in getting people out of the Olympic venues quickly meant that many businesses have lost money.

Traders at Greenwich Market and in central London have also complained about a loss of earnings.

A Waltham Forest Council spokesperson said: "North London Business and their partners Skateco are solely responsible for the success of their market.

"They won the ability to locate, organise, manage and run the event, receiving their income through their contracts with stall holders.

"The council has not paid nor received any monies from these organisations."

Skateco said: "Put simply, this was an idea created by the council, put out to tender by the council, presented as a partnership with them.

"Our main consideration when deciding to bid was determining whether the market could generate sufficient trade from visitors on foot to the Olympic Park. The council's public tender document reassured us on this front."

Â