London 2012 Olympic Games

maqroll

i think that with the likes of brazil, india, russia, china etc and their size/economy the chances of any second city in europe getting the games is somewhere between slim and none

something tells me shanghai could offer something a liitle bit special compared to birmingham

we'd be lucky to get the commonwealth games before 2030

The fact that it came and went so quickly, and the realisation that this country won't have the games again in my lifetime has really hit me hard man. I didn't expect this !

For me, it's more the fact that prior to the games I had no idea that I'd be so interested and emotionally involved in them.

By the time I realised how amazing they were, I desperately wanted to be involved and to witness some of it, but alas neither was possible.

And now, they have gone, and probably won't return this century.

It's the realisation that in not going to the games, I missed a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I have read that Birmingham was in the running for the 92 olympics that ended up in Barcelona. That would have been funny.

BirminghamLogo.jpg

Wasn't it all to be built at the NEC ?

I think I still have the T-shirt!!! :lol:

Yeh we got no backing what so ever which caused a bit of a anger, looking back it was a blessing not getting it as it would have been shocking though maybe the government would of got involved then.

I cant believe that they included the Birmingham City Council Logo in the logo!! :lol: Not sure how much was spet but the council house held a very big announcment party with a big screen and the shocked faces when we never got it seemed sureal.

Some good info

The Birmingham Concept

Utilising the NEC on the outskirts of Birmingham in a sports hall complex. Using the original 8 halls and the construction of hall 9 as the media centre.

NECSite.jpg

The Olympic Village

OlmpicSite1.jpg

Set in 105 acres of parkland (now Bickenhill Plantation) it was to feature 2,500 homes to athletes, trainers and other staff.

The proposals were to construct the village with an emphasis on mini communities each around it's own village green. Facilities would have included:

Banks

Cinemas

Parks

Shops

Bars/Restaurants

After the Olympics the Athletes Village was to be removed an relocated to other areas of the city to meet community needs and supplement housing stock elsewhere. Those that remain would become timeshare properties, larger units would become business units similar to Birmingham Business Park.

Venues

The bid was to utilise the following venues

Stoneleigh park (Equestrian)

International Canoe and Rowing Centre, Nottingham (Canoeing and Rowing)

Weymouth Harbour (Sailing)

National Shooting Centre, Wolverhampton (Shooting)

NEC, Birmingham (Various other sports, Badminton, Wrestling, Weightlifting, Boxing etc)

Edgbaston Priory Club (Tennis)

Birmingham International Swimming Pool, Saltley (Swimming, Diving)

Birmingham Velodrome (location undisclosed)

New arena (location undisclosed)

Birmingham Hockey Centre (location undisclosed)

Birmingham International Swimming Pool Plans

SwimmingCentre.jpg

The Olympic Stadium

OlympicStadium.jpg

Planned by Ove Arup, it was to be a revolutionary design and equipped to the most advanced technology seating up to 75,000 spectators. Adjoined to the stadium would the warm up tracks.

After the Olympics, the stadium was to be adjoined to the NEC complex, roofed and become Europes largest arena. Some arena!

Financing

In 1985 the games were predicted to cost $700 million. $265 million was provided for the construction of new facilities ($133 million for the Olympic Stadium, $34 million for construction of other new facilities, $18 million upgrades to existing facilities).

Athletes village to cost $80 million.

Operating costs have been costed at $395 million. These include $175 for organisation and administration, $76 million for security, $64 million for media and communication, operating costs of facilities equated to $27 million, operating costs of Olympic village $16 million, transport $5 million, Marketing $32 million.

Funding would come from the IOC Media sales totalled to be in the region of $330 million and $485 million, whilst sponsorship and licencing is estimated to bring in $125 million and $145 million. Ticket sales in the region of $115 and $150 million. Stamps, lotteries and coinage to bring in $50 million.

It was expected that the games bring in a revenue of $620 million to $830 million.

Total spending in the wider economy was expected to reach $1,300 million and create 18,000 man hours of employment.

In summary, the bid was sound, however lacked depth. The document was 60 pages long compared to 130+ in Paris' bid. There was a lack of emphasis on transportation, in particular the air infrastructure. It was heavily reliant on visitors accessing Birmingham via hubs, which would have impacted on spectator numbers and revenue.

Tickets will be much harder to come across than they were in the Olympics though, no doubt.

I honestly don't think that's possible

:suspect:

There were quite a lot of empty seats at some events, maybe not the track or swimming ones but less popular ones like the pentathlon....let's just say they could do with a few more spectators :)

Tickets will be much harder to come across than they were in the Olympics though, no doubt.

I honestly don't think that's possible

:suspect:

There were quite a lot of empty seats at some events, maybe not the track or swimming ones but less popular ones like the pentathlon....let's just say they could do with a few more spectators :)

The empty seats were for officials and Olympic family members, you couldn't buy them.

Â