London 2012 Olympic Games

maqroll

Don't know if this was common knowledge but the NEC were producing and packing food day and night and sending it to London for the Olympics. On a few occasions a hell of a lot of food was sent back to be destroyed because of not being kept in right temperatures during transportation.

There were a couple of white elephants around the OP

Newham Council did something similar had loads of funding for it paid a company to run it and the owners did a runner before the Olympics leaving lots of companies out of pocket

Story was held but will break any day soon

Actually went past that a few times as I live in Wanstead. It was completely empty each time and I felt really sorry for those setting up shop there.

Not sure I agree 100% on this. Surely they took up a pitch to make a killing....i mean, of all industires catering has one of the best profit margins & I am sure they would crank up their prices for the 2 weeks as well. You only have to go to music festivals & get charged £5 for a moody burger at Glasto or such like.

If they agreed to donate half their profits to charity well that's different...but i doubt they did.

Same for hoteliers and the like, I'd imagine. They took price-hiking to unnecessary levels and paid the price for it. A lot of rooms that are usually full at this time of year with overseas customers remained empty, forcing the owners to slash prices mid-games just to recoup losses.

I watched that too, we did a bloody good job of it.

SPOTY...I think it will be very tight. I think that Hoy, Wiggins and Laura Trott would all be a good shout but may just end up splitting the cycling vote. The boxers and rowers are probably not high profile enough which probably gives you a choice of Mo Farah, Andy Murray or Jess. I suspected the lady might just get it.

I'm hoping there's going to be a mega BBC DVD of all this - to include both the ceremonies (WITHOUT the annoying commentary) and all the sporting highlights (this time WITH the commentaries - some of them were priceless).

I'm hoping there's going to be a mega BBC DVD of all this - to include both the ceremonies (WITHOUT the annoying commentary) and all the sporting highlights (this time WITH the commentaries - some of them were priceless).

Me too. I watched the opening ceremony again and was filled with a massive sense of pride. Even when it started a few weeks, I was, not cynical, just not bothered with it... however within a day or two I was hooked! I regret not trying for tickets now! :(

• 2 weeks later...

Sarah Storey wins GB & NI's first gold with a tremendous ride in the individual pursuit.

She's had an amazing career, first winning gold at the '92 Barcelona Olympics in Swimming.

Really enjoying the coverage so far (apart from the same trailer being repeated every 10 minutes).

Â